Movie Club - What are you watching?

GitHub

Popster to Popster 3,752

Watched Bergman Island (kinda boring) Ascension (observational documentary which was really cool), and because I watched Bergman Island and Eyes of Tammy Faye, I felt naturally I had to watch the new Scenes from a Marriage with Jessica Chastain.

• love 1

The Fame Popster 319

I saw No Time to Die (felt pretty uneven and Rami Malek's character seemed underused), Dune twice (they did a pretty good job summarizing all the exposition & it was fine overall lol), & the original Halloween film (so good).

I really want to see Titane, French Dispatch and Last Night in Soho but they are not playing anywhere near me. 😢

• paws up 1
  • love 1

• 2 weeks later...
Popster to Popster 3,752

Saw Only the Animals which was really good. Definitely don't read too much about it going in.

Also saw Greenberg after a previously failed attempt. The movie is so boring to me, but as the movie that (allegedly) broke up Noah Baumbach's marriage to Jennifer Jason Lee and started his Greta Gerwig era, it is something of a cultural cornerstone to a small group of people that mainly includes me.

The Fame Popster 319

Watched The French Dispatch, loved the concept and it was very enjoyable if a bit wordy, but it is a film about writers essentially. The first main segment with Benicio Del Toro as an insane artist was definitely a stand out. I loved all the dry and satirical humor. Lots of fun.

Edited by GagaSine
  • yaas, gaga 2

Popster to Popster 3,752
On 11/12/2021 at 12:40 PM, GagaSine said:

Watched The French Dispatch, loved the concept and it was very enjoyable if a bit wordy, but it is a film about writers essentially. The first main segment with Benicio Del Toro as an insane artist was definitely a stand out. I loved all the dry and satirical humor. Lots of fun.

Yay I'm glad you got to see it! I agree the artist segment was the stand out for me.

I saw Belfast yesterday. I haven't seen a "feel-good" movie in a while and it was a nice change of pace. I really enjoyed the scene where Jamie Dornan sings Everlasting Love, like unnaturally so :icant:

• yaas, gaga 1

The Fame Popster 319
On 11/14/2021 at 11:24 AM, GitHub said:

Yay I'm glad you got to see it! I agree the artist segment was the stand out for me.

I saw Belfast yesterday. I haven't seen a "feel-good" movie in a while and it was a nice change of pace. I really enjoyed the scene where Jamie Dornan sings Everlasting Love, like unnaturally so :icant:

That is literally the main reason I want to see Belfast lol, I need that energy in my life

• paws up 1

Popster to Popster 3,752
On 9/12/2021 at 9:47 PM, NotDoctor said:

Was that the Lilly Tomlin abortion movie?

What didn’t you like about it?

oops why did I not respond to this :rip:

by now I barely have any recollection of it :mess: I mainly thought it was weirdly acted, almost like stage acting or something.  Also a little bit boring plot-wise.

Popster to Popster 3,752
On 11/14/2021 at 3:04 PM, GagaSine said:

That is literally the main reason I want to see Belfast lol, I need that energy in my life

yeah it got me from the trailer :mess:  but I can confirm you absolutely need that energy

• love 1

Popster to Popster 3,689
On 11/19/2021 at 5:28 PM, GitHub said:

Saw House of Gucci yesterday if anyone has heard of it :icant:

Yep saw it too :legend:and will probably see it again next week :billie:

On 11/19/2021 at 5:32 PM, GitHub said:

fuuu— this made me realize I was supposed to see King Richard tonight and I completely forgot to go :cry:

I really want to see this after watching the trailer before HoG :excited:

• paws up 1

• 4 weeks later...
The Fame Popster 319

My bf and I have watched the entire Harry Potter series because he hasn't really seen them. I've had them all on DVD since childhood so JKR did not get any streaming numbers from me lol.

Also on a bit of a Timothée Chalamet kick since watching Dune & The French Dispatch even though I will admit I don't think he is a very good actor, he is way too wooden most of the time for my taste. His blank stare doesn't really contain enough depth for me to be convincing & that is his like go-to technique lol.

But I watched Beautiful Boy, which was fine. I think the story is a bit played and uninteresting, upper middle class kid gets addicted to drugs because his parents' expectations are too much pressure for him. It's a true story but I feel like it needed some more drama in it because it felt very very dry. Steve Carrell and the mom were very good, I just didn't really connect with the story. Also wow Timothée was so thin, it was a little shocking so I guess at least that was effective.

And I watched Call Me By Your Name. I must say Timothée Chalamet's acting seems so much better when he is speaking French and Italian, he seems to come alive and deliver a more energetic performance while still being natural. I don't think Armie Hammer is a good actor either, he didn't sell me very much on anything, he felt more predatory than lustful or infatuated. I don't find him believable as a graduate student either lol. Also thought it was interesting that the heterosexual sex scene seemed more graphic than the homosexual one. 

It was a very enjoyable movie to watch because of the beautiful location and Italian culture on display.  I was particularly struck and effected by the final scene when Elio is crying in front of the fireplace, that heartbroken feeling is definitely familiar & relatable and I felt it was perfectly portrayed. So congrats to the acting there at least lol.

Also watched Poison Ivy from the 90s with Drew Barrymore. I really really loved it, even though Tom Skerrit was a little too disgusting for me lmao. Even though their friendship is super turbulent I always craved that kind of codependent female friendship as a young person. I also think the side story about the main girl lying about being mixed race would not play well today lol.

Still haven't seen House of Gucci. Might go by self this week. :toofunny:

• paws up 1

The Fame Popster 319
On 12/12/2021 at 9:20 PM, Gabi said:

Saw last night in Soho last week and I hate the ending:enigma:

It’s probably Edgar Wright’s worst movie.

I love his movies but I have heard the same, that it's not good. So disappointing! I will probably just stream it eventually, maybe I will like it more with low expectations.

• hugs 1