Movie Club - What are you watching?

GitHub

Popster to Popster 3,689
1 hour ago, lavenderblondee said:

I REALLY liked it, but much like others, I was not a fan of the ending. I understood, and I loved Dan Levy's speech, but I just did not feel like it did Kstews character justice.

I still very much enjoyed it! Did you like it? 

Glad to hear and I did too! I felt like I was on an emotional see-saw the entire time, torn between whose side I was on as the story unfold. I could relate to Harper's position as I've been in a similar situation where you feel like you can never win between your family and significant other. But at the same time, I came away with a better appreciation of Abby's struggle and also felt that she deserved better. The world would be a much better place if we took Dan Levy's advice and took the time to understand where different people are coming from!

• paws up 2

Popster to Popster 3,889
10 hours ago, NYNJ Gypsy said:

Glad to hear and I did too! I felt like I was on an emotional see-saw the entire time, torn between whose side I was on as the story unfold. I could relate to Harper's position as I've been in a similar situation where you feel like you can never win between your family and significant other. But at the same time, I came away with a better appreciation of Abby's struggle and also felt that she deserved better. The world would be a much better place if we took Dan Levy's advice and took the time to understand where different people are coming from!

You worded it perfectly! I can't relate because I'm straight, but seeing what my friends went through, I cannot imagine. I think it was refreshing for a movie to touch down on this too, and not really in the stereotypical way where it's just sunshine and rainbows for said person to come out of the closet. We need more movies like this! 

• paws up 2

Popster to Popster 3,689
38 minutes ago, lavenderblondee said:

You worded it perfectly! I can't relate because I'm straight, but seeing what my friends went through, I cannot imagine. I think it was refreshing for a movie to touch down on this too, and not really in the stereotypical way where it's just sunshine and rainbows for said person to come out of the closet. We need more movies like this! 

Thanks and agreed! I’m a LGBTQ+ ally but not necessarily part of the community since I’m straight too, but I still saw a lot of parallels between my past relationship and the one in the movie

• paws up 1

Popster to Popster 3,689

Just remembered that I recently watched JUMANJI: Next Level. It was a little cheesy but Kevin Hart and Jack Black will give you a good laugh (don’t we all need one these days?). 

I’ll need to put the other movies suggested here on my to-watch list! 

• paws up 1
  • yaas, gaga 1

I'm watching Scary Movie. I love this movie, and I have the TV Cut which has deleted scenes which really adds to the movie. Its so funny.

Popster to Popster 3,752

Watched The Last Black Man in San Francisco last night. Overall a really beautiful film and I better see Jonathan Majors in every movie from now on.

My only regret is that I wasn't able to see it when it came to my local theater because it would've been amazing on a big screen :/

I just watched Wonder Woman 1988 or whatever it's called in theatres and it was a really good movie. Bit generic and formulaic but it was all around a good movie

Popster to Popster 3,752
12 minutes ago, thetea said:

I just watched Wonder Woman 1988 or whatever it's called in theatres and it was a really good movie. Bit generic and formulaic but it was all around a good movie

I've heard mixed reviews, so good to know you liked it!

Also I was just thinking about how much I miss going to the movie theater. Before the pandemic I had worked out an alternate schedule with my boss so I had every other Friday off and I'd go in the middle of the day and it was amazing :bradley:

2 minutes ago, GitHub said:

I've heard mixed reviews, so good to know you liked it!

Also I was just thinking about how much I miss going to the movie theater. Before the pandemic I had worked out an alternate schedule with my boss so I had every other Friday off and I'd go in the middle of the day and it was amazing :bradley:

I barely go to the theatres, but in my country COVID hasn't been an issue since June last year so we've been living restriction less, but my heart goes out to all of you in a COVID affected country. To think that anti-maskers wouldn't have to wear a mask right now, if they used the thing they're protesting against. 

Edited by thetea
  • hugs 1

Popster to Popster 3,752
Just now, thetea said:

I barely go to the theatres, but in my country COVID hasn't been an issue since June last year so we've been living restriction less, but my heart goes out to all of you in a COVID affected country. 

That's great you are able to function safely with some degree of normalcy in your country :classic_smile:

Hoping the rest of the world where that's not the case will catch up soon.

48 minutes ago, GitHub said:

That's great you are able to function safely with some degree of normalcy in your country :classic_smile:

Hoping the rest of the world where that's not the case will catch up soon.

When the vaccine rolls out, it will and if people stop believing their worth being microchipped and tracked!

Popster to Popster 3,752

Continuing my journey down Aubrey Plaza's filmography with An Evening with Beverly Luff Linn. Really quirky, like exhaustingly quirky. Definitely the kind of movie that appeals to a certain audience.

It reminded me a bit of Lemon by Janicza Bravo and Brett Gelman in he way that the only thing you can really remember about it was that it was really weird.

Popster to Popster 4,583

Some podcasters I love are doing a watch podcast for The Clone Wars and they started it with The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones so I just rewatched them for the first time in probably 10 years or so and woof.  

I love Star Wars - and I know this isn't new information - but It's truly steeped in terrible dialog.  I wish Lucas had gotten almost anyone else to write them

• paws up 1

I just watched Us on Netflix. It should've ended halfway. They kept going and it got progressively more boring. I love how this movie has a black cast. Black people are truly underrepresented in the movie industry, and are usually killed off right at the start of horror movies

• paws up 1

Popster to Popster 3,752
16 minutes ago, thetea said:

I just watched Us on Netflix. It should've ended halfway. They kept going and it got progressively more boring. I love how this movie has a black cast. Black people are truly underrepresented in the movie industry, and are usually killed off right at the start of horror movies

I wish I had the guts to watch horror movies because I think Jordan Peele is so talented and such a fresh voice in film making.

• paws up 1

27 minutes ago, GitHub said:

I wish I had the guts to watch horror movies because I think Jordan Peele is so talented and such a fresh voice in film making.

After a few you become desensitised to it. Start with ones that aren't scary at all like Scream and work you're way up. Don't watch Sinister, I love horror movies but that still scares me. 

• paws up 1