Movie Club - What are you watching?

GitHub

I know I made a flop thread about it but I watched Your Name Engraved Herein, a Taiwanese gay film on Netflix and it's my favorite movie ever, mainly because I can relate to it 90%. Heartbreaking, realistic but beautiful. I highly recommend it. :classic_laugh:

• paws up 2

Popster to Popster 3,752
On 1/25/2021 at 9:03 AM, Delusional said:

Has anyone seen TENET? Is it good? 

I haven't :/ I thought I recall some people from here talking about it but I could be wrong :classic_huh:

Popster to Popster 3,752

Watched In & Of Itself last night. I'm not sure if I thought it was as brilliant as other people do, but it was a pretty novel set-up and a really interesting experience to watch yourself being emotionally manipulated by DelGaudio. I'm not one who is really into magic/illusionists either.

The whole premise is "illusion of identity" so it might appeal to people on here. I think Marina Abramovic even made a cameo.

Popster to Popster 4,583

Have y'all ever walked out of a movie?

I would've walked out of Man of Steel if I wasn't there with two close friends who were Superman stans.  I hate that movie so much 

• lol 1

I watched What Happened to Monday. It's on Netflix, i had to use a vpn to watch it but yeah. Highly highly recommend, it was an amazing movie. Especially if you like Sci-Fi post-apocalyptic type films. Even though there's no apocalypse there's just overpopulation. Highly highly recommend. No boring bits throughout the movie.

• paws up 1

Popster to Popster 3,752
12 minutes ago, NotDoctor said:

I would've walked out of Man of Steel if I wasn't there with two close friends who were Superman stans.  I hate that movie so much 

No because I'm cheap lol. The closest I've come was The Lighthouse, but I already paid the ticket and there was only one other person in the theater so it felt weird. I know every hipster film fan is obsessed, but I straight up hated it.

I also had a fleeting thought of walking out of A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence because it was boring and I was having a bad day wanted to go home after work and was salty my friend dragged me out to watch it :billie:

Edited by GitHub
fix: sitting -> sat
  • lol 1

8 minutes ago, NotDoctor said:

If I saw Cats in theatre and I didn't have any popcorn or drink left

• lol 2

Popster to Popster 3,752

I just finished Bloody Nose, Empty Pockets which is a documentary about a group of bar regulars in Las Vegas celebrating the last night before the bar goes out of business.

DON'T RESEARCH THE FILM AHEAD OF TIME but definitely do it afterwards

Popster to Popster 3,752
3 hours ago, Herrscher of Reason said:

I’m about to watch Last Holiday even though Christmas is over. It’s such a Christmas staple in my family. 

That's one of those movies I've seen different parts of multiple times because I always catch it on TV after it started. I really need to sit and watch the whole thing once through

• yaas, gaga 1

Popster to Popster 4,583
9 hours ago, GitHub said:

I just finished Bloody Nose, Empty Pockets which is a documentary about a group of bar regulars in Las Vegas celebrating the last night before the bar goes out of business.

DON'T RESEARCH THE FILM AHEAD OF TIME but definitely do it afterwards

I know the thing about this movie, Did you like it? I haven't decided if I want to try it or not 

Popster to Popster 3,752
Just now, NotDoctor said:

I know the thing about this movie, Did you like it? I haven't decided if I want to try it or not 

I did. I feel like my opinion of it was heightened after finding out the thing, but even if you know going in I think it's worth a watch. I actually might rewatch it again today because there was a lot to unpack.

Probably one of those things you either love or hate, but it seems like it's getting a lot of critical acclaim.

• paws up 1

Popster to Popster 3,752

Just finished watching Malcolm & Marie (hadn't seen any reviews/context ahead of time). I generally am into meta-commentary, but the issue was you quickly realize it's just Sam Levinson griping through the actors and that did not come off well at all to me, especially given some of the context. My love of Noah Baumbach is proof enough I don't hate a masturbatory script, but this was really something else. :awkney: 

I'm really disappointed because I feel like this premise had so much potential, although there was one scene in particular about 2/3 of the way through that I thought was a standout.

• 2 weeks later...
Popster to Popster 4,583

Just finished Barb and Star Go To Vista Del Mar and wow what a wild ride that movie is not knowing anything about it.  Absolutely delightful and goofy.  Loved that campy mess 

MV5BNTQ2OGU1OTgtYmVhYi00MGIxLTg4MzQtYWFl

• yaas, gaga 3

Popster to Popster 3,752
7 minutes ago, NotDoctor said:

Just finished Barb and Star Go To Vista Del Mar and wow what a wild ride that movie is not knowing anything about it.  Absolutely delightful and goofy.  Loved that campy mess 

ahhh where did you watch? I have been waiting for this movie for almost 2 years by now, but the only rentals I saw cost $19.99 and I wasn't impressed enough by the trailer to drop 20 bucks on it :mess:

Moderator 6,288
14 minutes ago, NotDoctor said:

I watched this a couple days back and I absolutely loved it. It reminded me of 90’s comedy movies like “The Mask” and “Austin Powers” where nothing makes sense but it does at the same time (if that makes sense). The colorful sets, random and very lyrically specific musical numbers, awkward characters, and the wacky villain with a ridiculous backstory was really fun to watch. Also the “Edgar’s Prayer” song is just gold. Every time he sang “Seagulls in the sand” or wherever he was seeing them in that moment, I couldn’t help but belly laugh. I was a bit apprehensive at first but I’m glad I watched. I’d love to see more movies like this being made. 

• paws up 1
  • yaas, gaga 1

Popster to Popster 4,583
20 minutes ago, GitHub said:

ahhh where did you watch? I have been waiting for this movie for almost 2 years by now, but the only rentals I saw cost $19.99 and I wasn't impressed enough by the trailer to drop 20 bucks on it :mess:

I ended up renting it on prime 😅

16 minutes ago, SLAG said:

I watched this a couple days back and I absolutely loved it. It reminded me of 90’s comedy movies like “The Mask” and “Austin Powers” where nothing makes sense but it does at the same time (if that makes sense). The colorful sets, random and very lyrically specific musical numbers, awkward characters, and the wacky villain with a ridiculous backstory was really fun to watch. Also the “Edgar’s Prayer” song is just gold. Every time he sang “Seagulls in the sand” or wherever he was seeing them in that moment, I couldn’t help but belly laugh. I was a bit apprehensive at first but I’m glad I watched. I’d love to see more movies like this being made. 

That movie is so wild that I completely forgot there were musical numbers by the end :dead: 100% agree with everything you said though 

• paws up 2