Movie Club - What are you watching?

GitHub

Popster to Popster 3,752
On 8/9/2021 at 8:17 PM, SLAG said:

I just randomly came accross Zola one night but I'm glad I did because it was so good. Taylor Paige and Riley Keough were a joy to watch. Also, the meltdowns by Colman Domingo's character were hilarious.:billie:

completely agree!!

also I didn't know who Riley Keough was so I just wikied her and she's the granddaughter of Elvis and had both Michael Jackson and Nic Cage as a step-father??? what a weird life

Popster to Popster 3,752

I watched Holler which got really good reviews. I wanted to love it just to spite Hillbilly Elegy, which I can't stand, but sadly it didn't really hold my attention.

Kindness Admin 6,892
On 7/25/2021 at 8:27 PM, GagaSine said:

I just watched the Japanese film Audition. I knew almost nothing about it going into it so I was really not expecting all the horror and gore. :dead: But amazing movie!

We watched this in the fall and didn't really love it, but it also wasn't what I expected.

It became a real life horror moment though because of my friends passed out and couldn't be woken up as the film entered the crazy end. We thought it was a seizure and I was on the phone with 911 when he woke up and was suddenly fine. It was horrifying. We finished the film after he left.

• shook 1

The Fame Popster 319

I went to the movie theater for the first time since last year and saw The Green Knight. I really really loved it, as a kid I was obsessed with mythology and arthurian legends, I love the film making techniques and the amazing costuming, sets and scenery. It was a great reminder of what I love about film. The reinterpretation of the original story/poem made me think about all the stories I wanted reimagined into film as a kid. My boyfriend didn't love it lol.

We also watched My Cousin Vinny at home, it was my favourite movie when I was very young and I have probably seen it a hundred times, but my boyfriend has never seen it so we finally found it online and watched it. Marissa Tomei's outfits are sooo iconic.

• yaas, gaga 1

The Fame Popster 319

I also watched the film "Society", corny 80s horror movie with amazing practical effects and prosthetic make up. Basically in the movie all rich/upper class people are a separate species from the average human and "feed" on them. Not gonna lie, I was super stoned and while it was certainly campy and low budget I got a lot of joy out of it and thought it was a great portrayal of not only the wealthy's relationship to the rest of society  but also the parasitic relationships they have with each other. :enigma:

• paws up 1

• 2 weeks later...
Popster to Popster 3,752

Heard so many good things about The Green Knight—glad you loved it @GagaSine

I went to the theater for the second time (again was one of 3 people in a full size theater :icant:)  and saw The Macaluso Sisters. I thought it was good for the most part, although some of it still felt more suited for stage. It was also very depressing and what my mother would call "a thinking movie" :icant: 

• paws up 3

Popster to Popster 3,689

I watched Cruella last night now that the premiere access is gone and it was surprisingly better than I had expected it to be from just watching the trailer. I hope there is a sequel :excited:

• paws up 1
  • yaas, gaga 1

Popster to Popster 3,752

Watched CODA this weekend. I did think some of the situations were unrealistic (like lack of an interpreter in a courtroom), but the performances were great.

Popstanne 5,076

I want to watch Shang Chi but haven't yet. I almost went today but was too tired, plus I figured Labor Day (in the US) would be too crowded, and Franch wants to enjoy some popcorn and snacks without catching Covid. 

• paws up 2

Popster to Popster 4,583
On 9/12/2021 at 9:15 PM, GitHub said:

Watched Grandma (2015). It got great reviews and has 91% on Rotten Tomatoes and I thought it was awful. 

Was that the Lilly Tomlin abortion movie?

What didn’t you like about it?

Moderator 6,288

Recently watched "John and the Hole". It was interesting and I enjoyed it but it also felt kind of incomplete. I was a bit disappointed with the ending also. I'd recommend giving it a try tho. Maybe I missed something idk.

RDjL0Lc6tvKcmOIa6sXY16Yn9d5WWn870l5wV3PX

• paws up 1

Popster to Popster 3,752

Saw Best Sellers which was watchable, but nothing really special. Also Blue Bayou which I'm a little disappointed by because it could have been amazing given the story and performances, but I will just say sometimes less is more.

Popster to Popster 3,752

Saw The Guilty which was pretty good. The whole movie is essentially one guy in a room making phone calls, but I only really only felt fatigued by that at one point pretty far into the movie. Also didn't realize how many famous people were voice acting it :dead: It's also a remake of a Danish film if originals are more your thing

Popster to Popster 4,583

Just finished The Muppets Haunted Mansion and it was really delightful.  The Muppets are definitely heavily referential, so if you don’t know them well I think so of the jokes will go over your head but it’s still a fun time. Taraji P. Henson is amazing too

It’s nice to have something spooky but goofy 

• paws up 2

Popster to Popster 3,752

Saw The Eyes of Tammy Faye. Jessica Chastain gave a great performance. Seems like Ladey Gags is not the only singer to star in a campy dramedy biopic this fall :ohhh:

• yaas, gaga 2

• 2 weeks later...
Moderator 6,288

Watched "Halloween Kills" tonight and it was pretty good. At one point I thought to myself "Jesus, this is just kill after kill" then I remembered the name of the movie. The older movies had a build up between murders. I enjoyed it.

• paws up 1
  • lol 1