The Guardian: Dua “out Gaga’d Gaga and out Kylie’d Kylie”

blastertoyo

ARTPOPster 1,319

Dua-Lipa.jpg
The 50 best albums of 2020, No 2: Dua Lipa – Future Nostalgia

The name alone suggests that we’d look back on these songs with happy memories attached. But will we ever be nostalgic for 2020? I suspect that Lipa will: 2020 is the year she became a pop behemoth. She transcended the “great look, serviceable songs” box she’d been marketed into and became one of pop’s most exciting major players: she out Gaga’d Gaga and out Kylie’d Kylie. In late November, more than 5 million people tuned in to her Studio 2054 livestream to watch her cavort around London’s Printworks with a gang of dancers and pop guests, heavy with product placement, meme-able moments and bookended by giant Lipa-helmed brand endorsements. It was enormous fun but less illegal rave than high-budget school disco, recalling the satire of Josie and the Pussycats and images of the Spice Girls travelling through Times Square in Spiceworld, their own gigantic faces grinning down from every billboard. There was no hint of wryness here: Lipa is making hay while the sun shines. And why not, for a pop star who’s been building to megastar status breaking through when arenas are closed and clubs left dark?

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/dec/17/the-50-best-albums-of-2020-no-2-dua-lipa-future-nostalgia

The Fame Popster 305

It’s very weird that they keep on comparing Dua to Gaga and Kylie. I think Future Nostalgia is better than Chromatica and Disco, however she still has a long way to go to cement herself as an artist. 

• paws up 1

The Fame Popster 305
22 minutes ago, Daylight Oreos said:

I disagree.

15 minutes ago, ProjectJoanne said:

Chromatica’s best songs are better than the best songs on Future Nostalgia but Chromatica’s worst songs are worse than Future Nostalgia’s worst. 

Future Nostalgia also has songs that will be looked highly upon for years to come (Don’t Start Now and Physical) while Chromatica only has Rain On Me. 

• yaas, gaga 1

Popster to Popster 4,583
1 hour ago, Hejira said:

Chromatica’s best songs are better than the best songs on Future Nostalgia but Chromatica’s worst songs are worse than Future Nostalgia’s worst. 

Future Nostalgia also has songs that will be looked highly upon for years to come (Don’t Start Now and Physical) while Chromatica only has Rain On Me. 

Imagine saying that when "Boys Will Be Boys" exists :mess:

That being said, FN is a great album and it was just what I needed earlier this year.  These comparisons are so one dimensional, bland and irritate the sh!t out of me 

Edited by NotDoctor
  • paws up 1

Kindness Admin 6,892

I don’t think they mean as their whole career or as a comparison of their value to pop culture or art. They mean dua is really taking off (she is) and might be the next main pop girl who happened to put out the best pop girl album this year. 

I think people are reading too into this. I was happy with Chromatica’s placement on the list. 

• paws up 1

Moderator 4,653

I think they should have worded differently. I agree its not cute to compare women like that. 

But The Guardian is right that Dua is becoming a megastar. I think that the pandamic for some reason has done her good. She managed to keep thinking outside of the box. She needed her creative brain more than ever, and knew how to surprise people everytime. Studio2054 is probably the best example. She has had a proper era with the struggle the pandamic has caused. We fans were getting fed and she didnt stop. For music we had a great year, thanks Dua! 

I stan a 8 time Grammy nominnee at the second album of her career!

4 hours ago, Hejira said:

It’s very weird that they keep on comparing Dua to Gaga and Kylie. I think Future Nostalgia is better than Chromatica and Disco, however she still has a long way to go to cement herself as an artist. 

Exactly.

The Popster 119

DSN is the song of 2020 :tea:

but I disagree that she out Gaga’d Gaga. 

Gaga literally was the center of attention during the pandemic, raising funds and doing charity works. Her one and only performnace (:bradley:) also made rounds all over the world. Not to mention the legendary items she she advertise like makeups, watch and oreos :romance:

however Dua did worked her bum out this year and it yielded impressive results! Good for her :classic_love:

ARTPOPster 1,319
19 hours ago, FFXIV WhiteMage said:

Gaga literally was the center of attention during the pandemic, raising funds and doing charity works.

The way this article fails to mention what it means to be a “Gaga” and a “Kylie”

if they mean in the pop songs and performance sense sure, Dua released more music and performed more than both of them.

Did she change the pop landscape? The sound of pop? Become a philanthropic force? Fight for equal rights? Start fashion trends? 
surely not 

If they really wanted to they could say she was better at being a popstar than the other girls but I’m not sure being really good at playing connect checkers when everyone else is playing chess.... is a great accomplishment  

• thanks 1

The Fame Popster 401

Kylie, the Spice Girls, and Josie and the Pusscats (2001) have clearly influenced Dua but Gaga... is not that sort of pop star so the comparison seems out of left field. It's far more likely Dua's next record is her Teenage Dream :ohhh:

Moderator 4,653
6 hours ago, blastertoyo said:

The way this article fails to mention what it means to be a “Gaga” and a “Kylie”

if they mean in the pop songs and performance sense sure, Dua released more music and performed more than both of them.

Did she change the pop landscape? The sound of pop? Become a philanthropic force? Fight for equal rights? Start fashion trends? 
surely not 

If they really wanted to they could say she was better at being a popstar than the other girls but I’m not sure being really good at playing connect checkers when everyone else is playing chess.... is a great accomplishment  

I agree shw didnt bring anything new to the table. What Dua has done is bring trends back and make people liking it again. (Disco)