Gwen Stefani | The Thread

Elvira

Moderator 4,653
53 minutes ago, Franch Toast said:

Gwen returns for her Vegas residency this fall. Any takers? @blankpaper 

https://www.caesars.com/planet-hollywood/shows/gwen-stefani

Ugh I need her to tour worldwide! I would love to see her but there is no way I can afford a trip to Vegas lol

• hugs 1

Popstanne 5,076
Just now, Dirkje said:

Ugh I need her to tour worldwide! I would love to see her but there is no way I can afford a trip to Vegas lol

Maybe next year with her upcoming album? 

• yaas, gaga 1

Popstanne 5,076
2 minutes ago, blankpaper said:

I’m so there!

but for the love of god can she change her weird baby blake picture :dead:

I know! That pic is so creepy for multiple reasons. :icant:

I have no idea if I can persuade any real-life friends to join me, but I'm buying a ticket regardless. I'm even tempted to try and score a M&G because they're half the price of Gaga's, and supposedly you actually get to talk to Gwen instead of just being rushed through like cattle. I saw on Twitter that a presale code is CRGWEN, so I'm going to see if that actually works. 

ARTPOPster 2,450
8 minutes ago, Franch Toast said:

I know! That pic is so creepy for multiple reasons. :icant:

I have no idea if I can persuade any real-life friends to join me, but I'm buying a ticket regardless. I'm even tempted to try and score a M&G because they're half the price of Gaga's, and supposedly you actually get to talk to Gwen instead of just being rushed through like cattle. I saw on Twitter that a presale code is CRGWEN, so I'm going to see if that actually works. 

Am I missing something or are there only a few dates? Which one are you looking at?

Popstanne 5,076
5 minutes ago, blankpaper said:

Am I missing something or are there only a few dates? Which one are you looking at?

Nope, there are only a few dates. I think she only had like three dates left in her residency when Covid hit, so it looks like she's making those up and adding a few new ones. 

I have no idea when to go. I was thinking a weekend might be better in terms of not needing to take off time from work (I work freelance, but in the case that I am able to persuade anyone to join me, which probably isn't going to happen anyway). I have no idea whether Halloween weekend would be fun or if it would be too crazy. 

Moderator 4,653
1 hour ago, Franch Toast said:

Nope, there are only a few dates. I think she only had like three dates left in her residency when Covid hit, so it looks like she's making those up and adding a few new ones. 

I have no idea when to go. I was thinking a weekend might be better in terms of not needing to take off time from work (I work freelance, but in the case that I am able to persuade anyone to join me, which probably isn't going to happen anyway). I have no idea whether Halloween weekend would be fun or if it would be too crazy. 

You are lucky you are able to go! I live in the Netherlands so thats also a reason I couldnt lol

• hugs 1

Moderator 4,653
7 minutes ago, Franch Toast said:

That hair...um...:icant: It's giving me these vibes:

spacer.png 

That she's still active like that is good as I actually need an album from her!

• yaas, gaga 1

Popstanne 5,076

So I just got tickets for the opening night of Gwen's residency. If anyone wants to buy during today's presale, the code is: GWENVEGAS

I ended up getting early entry GA which costs about $306 a pop (prices fluctuate). It turns out that the VIP seated tickets are sold in clusters of 6, but they actually were fairly reasonable, considering  you get a bottle of champagne and table service and have a guaranteed front and center seat. (I think each VIP ticket was around $450.) 

Edited to add: I called the theatre, and in spite of the website advertising M&Gs, currently Gwen's not selling any because she is waiting to assess the Covid situation. 

Edited by Franch Toast
  • love 1

ARTPOPster 2,450

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/gwen-stefani-defends-asian-backup-021430614.html?ncid=facebook_yahooenter_yxwbqqk7sto&fbclid=IwAR2cyvMNIEXsjyCCNr3GENIjZ5Yw45xJrC4ipzx_dxBuLZYkgwa4Co-zO0E

Spoiler

“Gwen Stefani is once again defending herself over the Harajuku Girls era of her solo career.

Stefani has long been accused of cultural appropriation for appearing both onstage and off with the Harajuku Girls, a dance troupe of women who were all of Japanese ancestry, during the early years of her solo career.

Now, in a new interview with Paper magazine, the Grammy-winning singer insists the backlash was uncalled for — and says she believes people from different cultures should be allowed to "share" with one another.”

Like I’ve said, I do believe she had good intentions with the whole harajuku thing, but the fact that she’s still defending it seventeen years later is pretty cringey. She needs to just take the L and apologize at some point

Cheering Rooting GIF

• paws up 1
  • thanks 1

Popstanne 5,076
13 hours ago, blankpaper said:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/gwen-stefani-defends-asian-backup-021430614.html?ncid=facebook_yahooenter_yxwbqqk7sto&fbclid=IwAR2cyvMNIEXsjyCCNr3GENIjZ5Yw45xJrC4ipzx_dxBuLZYkgwa4Co-zO0E

Reveal hidden contents

“Gwen Stefani is once again defending herself over the Harajuku Girls era of her solo career.

Stefani has long been accused of cultural appropriation for appearing both onstage and off with the Harajuku Girls, a dance troupe of women who were all of Japanese ancestry, during the early years of her solo career.

Now, in a new interview with Paper magazine, the Grammy-winning singer insists the backlash was uncalled for — and says she believes people from different cultures should be allowed to "share" with one another.”

Like I’ve said, I do believe she had good intentions with the whole harajuku thing, but the fact that she’s still defending it seventeen years later is pretty cringey. She needs to just take the L and apologize at some point

Cheering Rooting GIF

I agree she's always had good intentions. She's just not very worldly, self-aware, or that articulate. But regardless of her intentions, she's offended enough people that she should just apologize and learn from her mistakes instead of doubling down. It also would've been nice if she had spoke out against the AAPI hate crimes happening. (At least she raised a lot of money for Japan after the 2011 tsunami, so sometimes she does put her money where her mouth is.) 

That said, the four dancers who made up the Harajuku Girls have only said really good things about the experience. I realize they probably don't want to ruin their careers by dissing her, but I've seen some of their social media posts where they mention out of the blue how much the experience meant to them, how it made them proud to be Japanese and share their culture, etc. 

This spoof is hilarious by the way:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Popstanne 5,076

I feel bad writing this, but I watched some of the footage of her rehearsing with Blake at his restaurant in Oklahoma, and it made me sad. I mean, she looked so happy, and their country duets sounded great, but when she performed two No Doubt songs (Don't Speak and Hella Good), it made me sad. Her voice sounds beautiful singing them, but it made me sad because she was performing them with Blake's band, not Tom, Adrian, Tony, Steven, and Gabe. I remember Tom saying he didn't like her performing ND songs in her own concerts, including her Vegas residency, and considering how integral his guitar solo is to Don't Speak, I'm guessing he really isn't going to appreciate that she's taking Don't Speak (and Hella Good) on the road with Blakey and his country band: 

I feel like this is really the end of No Doubt. 

(I'm glad she found someone who makes her so happy, as she deserves it after the way Gavin treated her, but I wish she wasn't changing herself so much artistically (and clothing-wise) for him...I'd rather see Blake perform one of his songs with No Doubt and have them rock it up a bit) 

ARTPOPster 2,450
On 7/18/2021 at 12:08 PM, Franch Toast said:

I feel bad writing this, but I watched some of the footage of her rehearsing with Blake at his restaurant in Oklahoma, and it made me sad. I mean, she looked so happy, and their country duets sounded great, but when she performed two No Doubt songs (Don't Speak and Hella Good), it made me sad. Her voice sounds beautiful singing them, but it made me sad because she was performing them with Blake's band, not Tom, Adrian, Tony, Steven, and Gabe. I remember Tom saying he didn't like her performing ND songs in her own concerts, including her Vegas residency, and considering how integral his guitar solo is to Don't Speak, I'm guessing he really isn't going to appreciate that she's taking Don't Speak (and Hella Good) on the road with Blakey and his country band: 

I feel like this is really the end of No Doubt. 

(I'm glad she found someone who makes her so happy, as she deserves it after the way Gavin treated her, but I wish she wasn't changing herself so much artistically (and clothing-wise) for him...I'd rather see Blake perform one of his songs with No Doubt and have them rock it up a bit) 

It always seems like the boys are just jealous she’s more successful than them. She wrote plenty of No Doubt’s songs, why shouldn’t she perform them solo? Unless they wanted to go to Vegas and were told no, they don’t really have a place to make an issue out of it. Weren’t they upset even back when they were together that she was more famous than them? 

Popstanne 5,076
On 7/18/2021 at 4:06 PM, blankpaper said:

It always seems like the boys are just jealous she’s more successful than them. She wrote plenty of No Doubt’s songs, why shouldn’t she perform them solo? Unless they wanted to go to Vegas and were told no, they don’t really have a place to make an issue out of it. Weren’t they upset even back when they were together that she was more famous than them? 

This is very true. Since Eric left the band, I think she's co-written (or solo written) every single No Doubt song with the exception of covers like "It's My Life" and "Stand and Deliver," plus the song they did with Elvis Costello for the Rugrats movie, and in fact, she and Eric are the only writers credited on "Don't Speak." I agree she has every right to perform them when she wants, but I guess this performance made me sad because it really seems like the band won't be getting back together anytime soon, perhaps because of the boys' jealousy. Since our earlier speculation on this topic, I read some comments on social media that imply this could be part of the reason––allegedly, Tom made and liked shady remarks about her on Twitter, and the Instagram account that his wife and Tony's wife share made some digs at her when she was going through her divorce with Gavin (God only knows why they would side with that douchebag). If all that's true, coupled with the fact that she didn't know about their side project Dreamcar until she read it on social media, I can understand why she may not be super eager to reunite with them, however. I'm sure there's much more backstory than we know. 

Also, I suppose if they had legal grounds to be upset, they could just sue her, but I'm guessing they can't since she's written/co-written these songs. 

Edited by Franch Toast

Moderator 4,653

I really hope that after she's finished in Vegas she considers touring ww. I would rush for her to get tickets!

• yaas, gaga 1