Cicely Tyson passes at age 96

Blown Away

Cicely-Tyson.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop=1

Emmy- and Tony-winning actress Cicely Tyson, who distinguished herself in theater, film and television, died on Thursday afternoon. She was 96.

Source: https://www.google.com/amp/s/variety.com/2021/tv/news/cicely-tyson-dead-dies-1234895188/amp/

Rest in peace, miss Tyson. I loved you a lot in How To Get Away With Murder.

Spoiler

Cecilia as the legendary Ophelia Harkness in How To Get Away With Murder

151229_2960-1-2000.jpg

Edited by Blown Away
  • hugs 1
  • sad 3

This made me want to cry. She's a legend and she broke barriers of what black people could be. I'm gonna read her book when it comes to my library

• hugs 1

1 hour ago, thetea said:

She's a legend and she broke barriers of what black people could be.

Exactly. She opened many doors for black actresses.

I also love how she held on to her principles and only played roles she wanted to play.

Edited by Blown Away
  • paws up 2

18 minutes ago, Blown Away said:

Exactly. She ran so the rest could walk.

The shade but yes. Especially at a time where casual racism was widely accepted by white people and supported to an extreme extent. Truly an icon. I loved her in How To Get Away With Murder. It made me cry when she was sad about Annalise going to prison and when she was sick. My fav character. She reminds me of my nana and how soft, gentle and loving they are

• yaas, gaga 1

33 minutes ago, thetea said:

The shade but yes. Especially at a time where casual racism was widely accepted by white people and supported to an extreme extent. Truly an icon. I loved her in How To Get Away With Murder. It made me cry when she was sad about Annalise going to prison and when she was sick. My fav character. She reminds me of my nana and how soft, gentle and loving they are

I didn't mean it in a shady way. I meant that she broke barriers for black actresses, since she was the first to get a lead role in a series. She literally opened the door for other black actresses. I could've worded it better though.

You preach it, she was a really vital character in HTGAWM. A heartwarming person, a great example of a strict but loving parent. You couldn't not love her.

• paws up 2

15 minutes ago, Blown Away said:

I didn't mean it in a shady way. I meant that she broke barriers for black actresses, since she was the first to get a lead role in a series. She literally opened the door for other black actresses. I could've worded it better though.

You preach it, she was a really vital character in HTGAWM. A heartwarming person, a great example of a strict but loving parent. You couldn't not love her.

Oh ok, I'm sorry. I just thought that because usually they say this person ran so the other could walk trying to bash the other artist but yeah. I'm really sad about this, she was such an inspiration to me along with Viola Davis, Mariah Carey and Gaga. If I could go to her funeral I would sing this

• hugs 1

Popster to Popster 3,889

A legend and incredible woman with a story to tell. We're all lucky to have witnessed her talent.

Seeing her and Viola Davis as Mother/Daughter in HTGAWM was something else. Two incredible women sharing the screen. Ugh. 

• hugs 1