All Things 🇺🇸 Politics: SCOTUS Officially Overturns Roe Vs Wade - Abortion Now Illegal

MANiCURE1295

Pop-a-911-ster 32,525
9 minutes ago, Paradise is in my hands said:

I think it’s still going to cut off at the income limits. I would be an example of this as I qualified for the December one but I filed my taxes for 2020 and would no longer qualify.  BTW I’m not complaining.

Damn you making over 80K!!!! Nice! I barely make over 50K....most people who really need help are gonna get it and that’s the important part.

Biggest stimulus in US history and that shouldn’t be lost on people! I know you weren’t complaining by the way I’m just saying :love:

UPDATE: HOUSE VOTING ON STIMULUS ON TUESDAY

Edited by MANiCURE1295
  • paws up 1

ARTPOPster 1,392
6 minutes ago, MANiCURE1295 said:

Damn you making over 80K!!!! Nice! I barely make over 50K....most people who really need help are gonna get it and that’s the important part.

Biggest stimulus in US history and that shouldn’t be lost on people! I know you weren’t complaining by the way I’m just saying :love:

UPDATE: HOUSE VOTING ON STIMULUS ON TUESDAY

😬......I’m a lot older than most people here so DO NOT feel bad.😳 That’s a pretty good wage for being in your 20s(I assume). You should be proud.

I had a lot of overtime in 2020 that’s what threw me over. I work with mortgages and real estate has been crazy. I thought about delaying filing for this reason but I have to file for two different states and I want money back from one to pay the other before April 15. So I chose to just go forward, that’s ok.  I’m totally for it and for getting people more money who need it. ❤️

• paws up 1

ARTPOPster 1,476

The Senate amendments weren't all bad! Looks like we partially won. 

Additional aid

The Senate also approved $510 million more than the House to fund FEMA’s Emergency Food and Shelter Program, which provides support to homeless service providers for overnight shelter, meals, food banks and pantries across the country.

The additional funding will also provide one month’s rent or mortgage payment to help prevent evictions, as well as a month’s utility payments to prevent service cut-offs.

And the Senate bill provides Amtrak and the United States Digital Service with an additional $200 million on top of what the House passed for relief funding.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/some-house-progressives-aren-t-happy-with-senate-version-of-covid-relief-package-here-s-what-changed/ar-BB1ejNxv?rt=1&ocid=Win10NewsApp&referrerID=InAppShare

::-):

• paws up 2

Pop-a-911-ster 32,525

Day 46 - 1 Executive Order Signed by Biden

Voting Rights

President Biden will sign an executive order today, on the 56th anniversary of "Bloody Sunday," meant to promote voting rights, according to an administration official. 

The executive order comes as Democrats face an uphill battle to pass a sweeping election bill meant, in part, to combat a growing number of proposals introduced by Republicans at the state level that would restrict voter access. 

While Biden’s executive authority does not extend to overturning states’ laws, the order allows the president to signal his support for expanding voter rights.

The executive order includes directives to all federal agencies to create a strategy to promote voter participation, like using their websites or social media accounts to encourage people to register to vote. 

* It calls for a revamp of Vote.gov, the government’s voting information website, within 200 days. 

* The order directs the Department of Defense to make it easier for active-duty military and voters living abroad to cast their ballots. 

* It calls for a review of voting practices and how they affect people with disabilities. 

* It also creates a steering committee on Native American voting rights. 

Biden will speak Sunday, per an administration official, where he will deliver virtual remarks to commemorate the civil rights march from Selma to Montgomery in 1965 and introduce his executive order. 

Biden is also expected to call on Congress to pass H.R. 1, the sweeping election bill recently passed by the House, and to restore the Voting Rights' Act, named in honor of the late civil rights icon, Rep. John Lewis.

Pop-a-911-ster 32,525

Manchin seeming open to some form of Fillibuster REFORM...not total abolishment but maybe we’re inching closer to some changes on the fillibuster...don’t hold your breathe though :laughga:

Pop-a-911-ster 32,525
9 minutes ago, Starboy said:

I mean we literally won’t get ANY meaningful legislation through if they’re all going to require 60 votes. He probably realizes that and is changing his stance a bit.

Biden will be able to get through his COVID bill and probably the planned and long awaited Infrastructure/Clean Jobs Bill through due to reconciliation but things like Police Reform, Equality Act, HR1, and Immigration reform are all keys Democrat priorities that will stall as long as the current rules remain in place.

Believe me, I am actually part of the group that is kinda worried about what Republicans could do without the Fillibuster in place once they take power but there has to be some sort of reform, there should be no reason why we can confirm SCOTUS judges using simple majority but stuff like voting rights requires 60 votes...

Edited by MANiCURE1295
  • thanks 1

Pop-a-911-ster 32,525
Just now, Starboy said:

And I’d just like to point out that this culture war conservatives are starting is dumb. They heard the word “cancel culture” once and have run with it. Like it’s SO painfully performative because who really cares about Dr. Suess books or what the Aunt Jemima logo looks like??? Please just talk about something of substance and new policies you may have to offer

GOP house leader focusing on reading Green Eggs and Ham instead of focusing on getting his party behind a great piece of COVID Relief legislation....what a f-ing joke :tea: 

They can’t talk about policies because theirs are so bad, why do you think Trump didn’t even have a platform in the 2020 election? Because they don’t actually want to pass laws, they just want to Fillibuster ours and pass tax cuts. It’s pathetic.

• sad 1

Kindness Admin 6,892
57 minutes ago, MANiCURE1295 said:

GOP house leader focusing on reading Green Eggs and Ham instead of focusing on getting his party behind a great piece of COVID Relief legislation....what a f-ing joke :tea: 

They can’t talk about policies because theirs are so bad, why do you think Trump didn’t even have a platform in the 2020 election? Because they don’t actually want to pass laws, they just want to Fillibuster ours and pass tax cuts. It’s pathetic.

I can't with the dumb distractions with Potato Head and Dr Seuss. I hate this country so much.

• sad 1

Pop-a-911-ster 32,525

Roy Blunt (MO) announces he won’t be rerunning in 2022...so adding him to the list of Richard Burr (NC), Richard Shelby (AL), Pat Toomey (PN), and Rob Portman (OH) of retiring GOP senators....

That makes 5 retiring Republican senators not counting Chuck Grassley (IA) or Ron Johnson (WI) who have yet to announce if they are rerunning....remember this is big for the 2022 elections, though not all these are in winnable states for Dems, incumbents are always more challenging to beat. Hopefully this leads to the Dems being able to take some of these seats in 2022

Edited by MANiCURE1295

Kindness Admin 6,892
2 hours ago, MANiCURE1295 said:

Roy Blunt (MO) announces he won’t be rerunning in 2022...so adding him to the list of Richard Burr (NC), Richard Shelby (AL), Pat Toomey (PN), and Rob Portman (OH) of retiring GOP senators....

That makes 5 retiring Republican senators not counting Chuck Grassley (IA) or Ron Johnson (WI) who have yet to announce if they are rerunning....remember this is big for the 2022 elections, though not all these are in winnable states for Dems, incumbents are always more challenging to beat. Hopefully this leads to the Dems being able to take some of these seats in 2022

I'm so mixed on this. I'm nervous the Dems won't really take any more seats (so unlikely with us having both the White House and Congress) but that more Trump-like right-wing-nuts will take over the Senate as they quickly as they are starting to take over the House. The fillbuster will eventually fall (I think it's a bad decision honestly) and when the Republicans get full control again it's going to be really, really scary.

• paws up 2

Pop-a-911-ster 32,525
12 minutes ago, admin said:

I'm so mixed on this. I'm nervous the Dems won't really take any more seats (so unlikely with us having both the White House and Congress) but that more Trump-like right-wing-nuts will take over the Senate as they quickly as they are starting to take over the House. The fillbuster will eventually fall (I think it's a bad decision honestly) and when the Republicans get full control again it's going to be really, really scary.

Reps are defending 20 seats compared to our 14..AZ and GA are scary races but hopefully if we can keep those two maybe we can pick up a seat in PN or WI, if anything at least offset any possible loss...we have a lot less throw up senate matches in 22 if you look at it honestly. Worried about losing the house though...we need this ARP to help the economy and get us out of COVID so by 2022 people are thanking the Democrats for getting them out of this mess. Fingers crossed 

on the filibuster:

I think Biden is really hesitant to mess with the filibuster, I can see him making changes if he can’t get stuff done though. It’s not his “preference”. Preferences change real fast if you’re facing obstruction, I don’t think he wants total abolishment though. I agree, the thought scares me as well. I do think we need changes though, the fact that we can’t pass gun reform or immigration reform or the equality act but can appoint SCOTUS judges is messed up.

Edited by MANiCURE1295
  • paws up 1

• MANiCURE1295 changed the title to All Things 🇺🇸Politics: Senate Passes American Rescue Plan 50-49
Pop-a-911-ster 32,525

Day 47 - 2 Executive Orders signed by President Biden

Gender Equity

President Biden marked International Women's Day by signing two executive orders geared toward promoting gender equity, both in the United States and around the world.

The first executive order establishes a Gender Policy Council within the White House, an office from the Obama administration that was later disbanded by the Trump administration, and giving it more clout.

Under former President Barack Obama, the office was called the White House Council on Women and Girls. The name change to the Gender Policy Council is intentional to be more inclusive.

The Council's staff will include a special assistant to the president to focus specifically on "policies to advance equity for Black, indigenous and Latina women and girls of color," Klein said, in recognition of the historical and disproportionate barriers those groups face.

The second executive order the president signed Monday is directed at the Department of Education, and is aimed at reversing a controversial rule on campus sexual assault and harassment that was issued last year by then-President Trump's education secretary, Betsy DeVos.

Citing Title IX, the federal civil rights law barring sex discrimination in education, DeVos announced a new regulation that granted more rights and protections to those accused of sexual assault or harassment.

Biden's executive order directs the Department of Education to review all existing regulations to "guarantee an educational environment free from discrimination on the basis of sex, including discrimination in the form of sexual harassment, which encompasses sexual violence, and including discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity."

The order directs newly confirmed Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona to consider "suspending, revising, or rescinding" any agency actions that violate that policy.

Edited by MANiCURE1295

Pop-a-911-ster 32,525

Discussions within the Senate Democratic Caucus are expected to pick up steam in the coming days to see if they can unify behind a single plan, senators and aides said Monday......:flirtga:

Pop-a-911-ster 32,525

https://mainebeacon.com/collins-pulls-support-for-equality-act-after-lgbtq-rights-group-pulled-support-for-her/

https://mainebeacon.com/collins-supports-failed-gop-bid-to-discriminate-against-trans-kids-in-school-sports/

guys I’m absolutely disgusted with Susan Collins..I HATE that she represents my home state. What a VILE, NASTY DISGUSTING woman.

@Twitter @admin @NotDoctor @Starboy @Paradise is in my hands @derpmonster

first article talks about a recent amendment Susan Collins tried to put through the recent COVID bill cutting off federal funding for schools that allow trans kids to play sports, this would include Maine by the way, the state she represents because this is a Maine law that we allow.

2nd one talks about how she has pulled her support for the Equality Act and it goes into detail how it’s definitely because the Human Rights Campaign recently pulled support from her during the 2020 reelection when they supported her opponent...now ALL OF A SUDDEN she isn’t a cosponsor of the bill....

Equality Act will never pass because of nasty people like her and the filibuster :war:

does anyone else have any nasty senators that represent them that also feel this way? 

Edited by MANiCURE1295
  • sad 1

ARTPOPster 2,450

Trans kids playing sports is such a weird thing to get bent out of shape about...pretty sure these people have literally never cared about girls/women’s sports before :rip:

• thanks 1

Kindness Admin 6,892
1 hour ago, blankpaper said:

Trans kids playing sports is such a weird thing to get bent out of shape about...pretty sure these people have literally never cared about girls/women’s sports before :rip:

They almost definitely have not. It's so sad, they're KIDS, just let them be themselves.

• paws up 1
  • thanks 1

Pop-a-911-ster 32,525
4 hours ago, Starboy said:

I personally have no problem with the amendment she proposed, as I think it’s reasonable and makes sense. But it does seem odd that she is no longer supporting the Equality Act when she previously supported it before? Must be a political calculation on her part but it doesn’t seem like a very bright one.

Cutting off federal funding for schools just because they allow trans kids to play the sport they identify as is frankly disgusting and Susan Collins should be ashamed of herself, “supportive of LGBTQ+ rights” my a** 

Definitely agree to disagree. I don’t think anything about that amendment is “reasonable” or “makes sense”...Also even if for some reason you agree that schools shouldn’t be allowed to have that funding that amendment has no place in the COVID bill and I think it’s pathetic she even tried to have it added. I hate this woman 

Edited by MANiCURE1295

Popster to Popster 4,583
8 hours ago, MANiCURE1295 said:

https://mainebeacon.com/collins-pulls-support-for-equality-act-after-lgbtq-rights-group-pulled-support-for-her/

https://mainebeacon.com/collins-supports-failed-gop-bid-to-discriminate-against-trans-kids-in-school-sports/

guys I’m absolutely disgusted with Susan Collins..I HATE that she represents my home state. What a VILE, NASTY DISGUSTING woman.

@Twitter @admin @NotDoctor @Starboy @Paradise is in my hands @derpmonster

first article talks about a recent amendment Susan Collins tried to put through the recent COVID bill cutting off federal funding for schools that allow trans kids to play sports, this would include Maine by the way, the state she represents because this is a Maine law that we allow.

2nd one talks about how she has pulled her support for the Equality Act and it goes into detail how it’s definitely because the Human Rights Campaign recently pulled support from her during the 2020 reelection when they supported her opponent...now ALL OF A SUDDEN she isn’t a cosponsor of the bill....

Equality Act will never pass because of nasty people like her and the filibuster :war:

does anyone else have any nasty senators that represent them that also feel this way? 

Toomey is a massive pile of sh!t in a tie but at least he's honest about what he is.  I was pretty disgusted with Maine re-electing Collins, ngl.

Which reminds me.  My old state Representative was a republican and he was from the same college I went to.  He got a lot of interviews and press because he was "moderate" but basically rubber stamped for Trump anyway and I used to just drag him on Twitter for his hypocrisy and stupidity....until he blocked me :billie: (I also used to call his office all the time and - much more politely - tell his safers how much i hated his positions on different bills).  Have any of you been blocked by any politicians that represent you?

Edited by NotDoctor
  • lol 1

Pop-a-911-ster 32,525
1 hour ago, NotDoctor said:

Toomey is a massive pile of sh!t in a tie but at least he's honest about what he is.  I was pretty disgusted with Maine re-electing Collins, ngl.

Which reminds me.  My old state Representative was a republican and he was from the same college I went to.  He got a lot of interviews and press because he was "moderate" but basically rubber stamped for Trump anyway and I used to just drag him on Twitter for his hypocrisy and stupidity....until he blocked me :billie: (I also used to call his office all the time and - much more politely - tell his safers how much i hated his positions on different bills).  Have any of you been blocked by any politicians that represent you?

I swear I’m gonna be blocked by Jared Golden after constantly bashing him after his recent stunts in the House...one of the only Dems to vote against the police reform act. I hate my state :katy:

I keep calling his office and demanding why they haven’t released anything on his socials regarding his vote on that...I told one last yesterday I thought it was

“convenient he posted something about HR1 which was passed the same night but not about this act which he voted against”

:laughga:

UPDATE ON STIMULUS:

another day of hating MTG :ohyes:

Edited by MANiCURE1295
  • lol 1

• MANiCURE1295 changed the title to All Things 🇺🇸 Politics: SCOTUS Officially Overturns Roe Vs Wade - Abortion Now Illegal
  • admin locked this topic
  • admin unlocked this topic