All Things 🇺🇸 Politics: SCOTUS Officially Overturns Roe Vs Wade - Abortion Now Illegal

MANiCURE1295

Pop-a-911-ster 32,515

Glad to see Biden come out and talk about this in defense of the workers and unions and the right to unionize this is a lot more than former presidents have ever done when it comes to directly speaking out for unions, @Starboy you posted about this days ago, thoughts?

Edited by MANiCURE1295
  • paws up 1

• MANiCURE1295 changed the title to All Things US Politics 🇺🇸: ARP to the Senate Floor this Week
Pop-a-911-ster 32,515

Don’t get me wrong, this will be cool and all to get Manchin and Sinema (and maybe others?) on the record saying no but it’s still not gonna pass :katy: as an amendment to the bill we still need 50+1

• thanks 1

Pop-a-911-ster 32,515
2 hours ago, Starboy said:

saying the quiet part out loud

Yeah I saw this Durbin tweet and thought the same thing....

They really have NO SHAME whatsoever....truly pathetic 

• sad 1

Pop-a-911-ster 32,515

@Twitter @Starboy any thoughts on Biden choosing to limit stimulus eligibility....

“That means fewer families will receive a partial payment than would have under the original plan -- completely cutting off those who earn more than $160,000 a year and individuals who earn more than $80,000 a year.”

While I may not agree with the politics of not giving people money who may have gotten money from Trump but did people really making more than 80K necessarily need the money? My mom doesn’t make that and all she said was how last time she was given a check that she didn’t need.

what do you guys think about the payoff between making trying to limit these checks so that people who need help the most get the most help and the political payoff about maybe some people now now getting checks...

important to note also: Unlike the previous two rounds, adult dependents -- including college students -- are expected to be eligible for the payments.

thoughts guys? 

ARTPOPster 2,450
2 minutes ago, MANiCURE1295 said:

While I may not agree with the politics of not giving people money who may have gotten money from Trump but did people really making more than 80K necessarily need the money? My mom doesn’t make that and all she said was how last time she was given a check that she didn’t need.

My parents said the same thing with the last two checks, that it should be tied to unemployment or something so it goes to people who actually need it 

I’m right on the income cutoff and obviously I’ll be glad to be getting money, but I’d be perfectly fine without it

• thanks 1

Pop-a-911-ster 32,515
9 minutes ago, Twitter said:

In a way it kinda goes back on Biden’s promise during his campaign. I can see people dragging for that because originally people were to receive $2K.

However, I don’t think people who are wealthy/affluent living needs the money. Its the struggling businesses and less fortunate families that deserves the funds. Also, from a geographic standpoint it could be controversial because someone like myself in NYC. I make $50K and that can viewed as a lot but in NYC where the rent is $2-7K a month. Its really not a lot.

15 minutes ago, blankpaper said:

My parents said the same thing with the last two checks, that it should be tied to unemployment or something so it goes to people who actually need it 

I’m right on the income cutoff and obviously I’ll be glad to be getting money, but I’d be perfectly fine without it

Definitely agree with both of you! I can see people and rightfully so choosing to rail him for this. I think it’s tough. I’m really glad they didn’t go under that threshold. Rumors were that moderate Dems wanted the cutoff at 50k for individual so I think seeing an 80K cutoff is reasonable right?

I ASSUME that’s not really cutting off many people at all who really need money...which I think we all agree should be the goal.

obviously I don’t like the politics of people who got Trump checks not getting Biden checks but the checks are also larger, more adult dependents are set to be eligible AND there’s more unemployment benefits. So I think this is a reasonable trade off? Thanks for the input and discussion guys! 

Edited by MANiCURE1295
  • paws up 1

ARTPOPster 2,450

Another thing to consider is people who may have had to take pay cuts or lower paying jobs. Just because someone’s making what appears to be a living/comfortable wage doesn’t necessarily mean they’re not struggling if their rent/mortgage, car payments, etc were entered into when they were making a higher salary, you know? Like I signed my car loan when I was making $65k, and I signed my lease when I was making $75k so if I suddenly lost my job and had to take one at $50k I’d be f*cked. Or then there’s people who have to help out friends/family members who aren’t working. There’s a lot of variables that can make a seemingly decent salary a struggle to live on 

• paws up 2

Popster to Popster 4,583

Do we know if they're still basing this on 2019 taxes?  I don't know how they could adjust for 2020 taxes considering it's not done yet but I do wonder if there's any plan to handle people who lost well paying jobs in March 2020 and have been unemployed since.  I have no idea what the actual numbers on that would be though. 

• thanks 1

ARTPOPster 2,450
3 minutes ago, NotDoctor said:

Do we know if they're still basing this on 2019 taxes?  I don't know how they could adjust for 2020 taxes considering it's not done yet but I do wonder if there's any plan to handle people who lost well paying jobs in March 2020 and have been unemployed since.  I have no idea what the actual numbers on that would be though. 

I read something that said it’s the last filed return, so file asap if you had a significant drop in income that would affect eligibility for the stimulus. I don’t know if that’s completely accurate though 

Edited by blankpaper
  • thanks 1

Pop-a-911-ster 32,515
5 minutes ago, NotDoctor said:

2 minutes ago, blankpaper said:

I read something that said it’s the last filed return, so file asap if you had a significant drop in income that would affect eligibility for the stimulus. I don’t know if that’s completely accurate though 

Yeah I swear it was based on 2019 incomes which was the other issue with possibly using 50K as a threshold for the checks..someone could’ve had a job making that much or more last year but lost it because of the pandemic, so using 2019 income would be completely inaccurate. But maybe that’s changed idk

Pop-a-911-ster 32,515
6 minutes ago, Starboy said:

Not a fan. Yes, $80,000 may seem like a lot and in most of the country it is good money but there also some parts of the country that are more expensive to live in. Also there’s nothing wrong with just adding that money to your savings because after all that’s what a lot of politicians tell us to do, have a savings for a possible rainy day. It hurts no one to give people more money. It does hurt people to limit the amount.

I’m very glad that adult dependents will likely be included in those stimulus checks because they have long been ignored and are some of the people that suffer the most, mostly because a lot of us are broke college students.

It’s just crazy to me that Trump was more generous in giving out money.

To be fair let’s remember it took forever to get that money from Trump and it was a total of 1,800

at least the majority of people will be getting this 1,400 from Biden within the first 100 days of his presidency. I think I last saw that still like 93% of people would still get a check or something so like I said it seems like the MAJORITY of people who really need it, will get it. And like I said there is increased unemployment and more eligible adult dependents.

But yes, weird move to make politically for sure. And I don’t blame you for having that opinion at all. They could’ve always given the money out and realized later if there were people Who didn’t need it you could tax them for it later so I thought that would’ve been a good option.

Seems like Biden refused to budge on other things such as the UI and other things so, I don’t know. Trying to stay positive and hope this gets passed so people who need the money get it ASAP.

Edit: and obviously salaries are not created equal throughout the 50 states. Which is why I’m really glad the threshold wasn’t lower. I think 80K is acceptable, imagine if they had gone down to the 50K per individual :katy:

Edited by MANiCURE1295
  • thanks 1

Popster to Popster 4,583
1 hour ago, MANiCURE1295 said:

MEANWHILE THE REPUBLICANS ARE GOING TO OBSTRUCT LIKE NO ONE ELSE

Maybe no one will get these checks cause GOP will talk and talk forever :katy: I hate them truly 

Hopefully they bring in a speed reader 

• lol 1

Pop-a-911-ster 32,515
1 hour ago, NotDoctor said:

Hopefully they bring in a speed reader 

I’m dead

spit take GIF

.....:katy: 80K..100K..it don’t matter, this is gonna take forever 

Edited by MANiCURE1295

Pop-a-911-ster 32,515
23 minutes ago, blankpaper said:

This is just the phasing out for higher earners right? I thought this was already happening haha

Yeah these are just the numbers due to the new stimulus! My mom just called me, she’s STILL eligible for a check and she hasn’t needed the last two :laughga:

my mom on Manchin: “he b*ches about the minimum wage and that gets removed and now he b*ches targeting, he’s always b*ching about something”

FACTS:laughga:

Edited by MANiCURE1295

• MANiCURE1295 changed the title to All Things 🇺🇸 Politics: SCOTUS Officially Overturns Roe Vs Wade - Abortion Now Illegal
  • admin locked this topic
  • admin unlocked this topic