CEREMONY | L.A.M.B - Gwen Stefani

blankpaper

Popstanne 5,076
Just now, blankpaper said:

as bad as gwen is about appropriation, i really don't think she meant any of it in a negative way and really did just love the culture. it was just done in a poor way, but this was almost 20 years ago and it was a different time

Just now, NYNJ Nights said:

yeah I also found an article from 2019 I think about how Gwen defended her decision to go with the Harajuku girls theme, but I wonder if she'll come out with an apology or a reconsideration after the recent events in Atlanta and the rise in Asian hate

She definitely didn't mean any of it poorly, and she's said that it's her way of paying tribute and that she loved Japan since she was a kid, as her dad worked for Yamaha and would go on business trips there.  Same thing with her wearing a bindi during Tragic Kingdom (after Tony's mom introduced them to her), and honestly, I think her cringeworthy cowgirl phase stems from the same inclination. She's well-intentioned I think but a bit ignorant about her privilege as a wealthy white woman. 

• paws up 1

Popster to Popster 3,792
6 minutes ago, Lorde Von Kok said:

Anyway ... :icant: 

love this

Popster to Popster 3,792
1 minute ago, blankpaper said:

Next out - 

10 - Crash

Average rate: 7.25
Highest rate: 10 @kaelergrey
Lowest rate: 3 @Blown Away

Comments:

@Elvira - Another underrated, Crash is so good and catchy, I love the melody and the whole vibe from the song. It deserved a smash video.

@PETTY - Love the 80's vibe, this was always one of my favorite songs on the album. 

@Blown Away - This is easily the worst single off the album. The verses are very weak and the chorus is obnoxious as hell. I can't believe Gwen chose Crash as the last single instead of Serious of Danger Zone.

@Lorde Von Kok - Beep beep!

@Franch Toast - This is a forgettable song for me. It reminds me of limp pasta, which isn’t good for an Italian girl like Gwen. Tony, were you trying to sabotage Gwen’s solo career as revenge for trashing you throughout Tragic Kingdom and murdering you in the “It’s My Life” video?  (“Bubble Pop Electric” is the better car sex song. Also, how much car sex was she having during this era?)

@kaelergrey - This song is an amazing pop masterpiece. Its is underrated but once you listen to it. It wont leave your psyche. Its a standout just like the whole album itself. 

@GitHub - I was set up to be really into it, but it got a bit repetitive for me

@NYNJ Nights - simple yet catchy and fun

love this song... i love EVERY SONG on this flawless album!

• yaas, gaga 1

ARTPOPster 2,450

9 - Long Way To Go

Average rate: 7.81
Highest rate: 10 @Elvira @kaelergrey
Lowest rate: 4 @DonnieDarko

Comments:

@Elvira - I know this song might sound a bit cringey but I really like it? Andre's work with Gwen gave a touch of uniqueness to the album and just like Bubble, I like how messy it sounds a bit. I always get chills with the acapella intro, so good.

@PETTY - Not my favorite, always been a skip for me tbh. It's definitely different, I'll give it that.

@Blown Away - I hadn't expected it, but Gwen and André mesh really well together. The song has some really interesting elements, but falls a bit in the middle on this great album.

@Franch Toast - This song is “fine.” You can really feel the André 2000/OutKast vibe, and I love it. 

@kaelergrey - An amazing closing track from an amazing album. Gwen delivered and cemented her name into the pop hall of fame. Such an amazing artist and art. 

@GitHub - ok this is good

@NYNJ Nights - liking the tempo, fits well with the song, and the MLK Jr. ode is a nice touch

• paws up 3
  • sad 1

Popstanne 5,076
1 minute ago, Blown Away said:

Oh my god, I love these results. Crash is a terrible song, I can't believe it became a single when you have Serious, The Real Things and Danger Zone on the album...

It blows my mind that half of No Doubt wrote this song. I like it well enough (it grew on me), but it's so different from the stuff the band did. 

9 - Long Way To Go

Average rate: 7.81
Highest rate: 10 @Elvira @kaelergrey
Lowest rate: 4 @DonnieDarko

Comments:

@Elvira - I know this song might sound a bit cringey but I really like it? Andre's work with Gwen gave a touch of uniqueness to the album and just like Bubble, I like how messy it sounds a bit. I always get chills with the acapella intro, so good.

@PETTY - Not my favorite, always been a skip for me tbh. It's definitely different, I'll give it that.

@Blown Away - I hadn't expected it, but Gwen and André mesh really well together. The song has some really interesting elements, but falls a bit in the middle on this great album.

@Franch Toast - This song is “fine.” You can really feel the André 2000/OutKast vibe, and I love it. 

@kaelergrey - An amazing closing track from an amazing album. Gwen delivered and cemented her name into the pop hall of fame. Such an amazing artist and art. 

@GitHub - ok this is good

@NYNJ Nights - liking the tempo, fits well with the song, and the MLK Jr. ode is a nice touch

It's a great song, but it's had its time. It should've won over The Real Thing though

• shook 1
  • thanks 1

Gaming Leader 6,416
Just now, Blown Away said:

It's a great song, but it's had its time. It should've won over The Real Thing though

Put some respect on The Real Thing :bradley:

• lol 1

Popstanne 5,076
2 minutes ago, PETTY said:

Put some respect on The Real Thing :bradley:

3 minutes ago, Blown Away said:

I rated them the same as I like them both; Serious should leave before both of them in my opinion. 

Edited by Franch Toast
  • paws up 1
  • shook 3

ARTPOPster 2,450

8 - The Real Thing

Average rate: 8.16
Highest rate: 10 @BabyMario44
Lowest rate: 5.5 @Blown Away

Comments:

@Elvira - I always forget about The Real Thing and I shouldn't 'cause it's a sweet and catchy song, pure and emotional, but for some reason I always forget about it. I guess Cool overshadows it as THE ballad of the album and maybe that's why, idk.

@PETTY - omg this song is so of it's time. I don't listen to this song as much as I should tbh. It gives me those 1000 Doves vibes mixed with a little Lizzie McGuire Movie. Whew!

@Blown Away - I love the melodies of the song, but the production doesn't fit it imo. It gives the song a jumbled feel. The production on the Slow Jam Mix is a million times better.

@Lorde Von Kok - PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :bradley:

@Franch Toast - Reminds me of a decaffeinated take on an 80s song, which isn’t surprising since some of the members of New Order joined them. It’s catchy, but lacks the punch of the L.A.M.B. singles.

@kaelergrey - An amazing track from an amazing album. 

@GitHub - I like this one. Suddenly watching the rain stream down the window of the backseat of my mom's car as we drive to the mall

@NYNJ Nights - I like this. But sometimes I can't hear what she is saying

• paws up 2
  • sad 1

Popster to Popster 3,792

8 - The Real Thing

Average rate: 8.16
Highest rate: 10 @BabyMario44
Lowest rate: 5.5 @Blown Away

Comments:

@Elvira - I always forget about The Real Thing and I shouldn't 'cause it's a sweet and catchy song, pure and emotional, but for some reason I always forget about it. I guess Cool overshadows it as THE ballad of the album and maybe that's why, idk.

@PETTY - omg this song is so of it's time. I don't listen to this song as much as I should tbh. It gives me those 1000 Doves vibes mixed with a little Lizzie McGuire Movie. Whew!

@Blown Away - I love the melodies of the song, but the production doesn't fit it imo. It gives the song a jumbled feel. The production on the Slow Jam Mix is a million times better.

@Lorde Von Kok - PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE :bradley:

@Franch Toast - Reminds me of a decaffeinated take on an 80s song, which isn’t surprising since some of the members of New Order joined them. It’s catchy, but lacks the punch of the L.A.M.B. singles.

@kaelergrey - An amazing track from an amazing album. 

@GitHub - I like this one. Suddenly watching the rain stream down the window of the backseat of my mom's car as we drive to the mall

@NYNJ Nights - I like this. But sometimes I can't hear what she is saying

deserved better

• thanks 1

Popster to Popster 3,689
1 minute ago, Franch Toast said:

I rated them the same as I like them both; Serious should leave before both of them in my opinion. 

I had a difficult time picking among those three as well :bradley:I figured these results would be tight

Popstanne 5,076
2 minutes ago, Blown Away said:

Now this...is blasphemy

you in danger girl whoopy goldberg GIF

I see I offended the Debbie Gibson fans. :icant:

Edited by Franch Toast
  • lol 1