Jump to content

All Things International Politics: UK local election results


Nightwing
 Share

Recommended Posts

Community Leader 8,555

Real estate groups Vonovia and Deutsche Wohnen (DWNG.DE) want to offer to sell the Berlin senate around 20,000 apartments in the German capital as part of their planned merger, two sources familiar with the matter said on Tuesday.

Vonovia said late on Monday it agreed to take over its closest German rival Deutsche Wohnen for about 18 billion euros ($22 billion) to better shoulder future investments in heat insulation. read more

The two companies said they wanted to offer the senate the option to buy "a significant number of flats" from their portfolios to help address the "strained rental situation" in the capital.

Of the 150,000 apartments owned by Deutsche Wohnen, 113,000 are located in Berlin, while Vonovia owns around 43,000 apartments in the German capital.

 
Additional information:
Vonovia is already the biggest real estate group in Germany with over 400.000 apartments under their wing. This merger would make them the biggest real estate group in Europe

 

  • paws up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Nightwing changed the title to All Things International Politics: Bashar al-Assad expected to maintain power in Syrian elections
  • Nightwing changed the title to All Things International Politics: Benjamin Netanyahu to be ousted as Israeli PM
Community Leader 8,555

If anybody still has hopes for Annalena Baerbock as Chancellor, you can officially forget about them.

Ms Baerbock wants to increase the taxes on petrol prices and even the left party Die Linke has attacked them sharply. They accused her and the entire Green party to be unbearably arrogant and that this proposition would make life only harder for poor people who already need to travel further for their work. Raising petrol prices through higher taxes would not be socially acceptable was the concern of Die Linke.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Popster to Popster 2,608
8 hours ago, corvus albus said:

If anybody still has hopes for Annalena Baerbock as Chancellor, you can officially forget about them.

Ms Baerbock wants to increase the taxes on petrol prices and even the left party Die Linke has attacked them sharply. They accused her and the entire Green party to be unbearably arrogant and that this proposition would make life only harder for poor people who already need to travel further for their work. Raising petrol prices through higher taxes would not be socially acceptable was the concern of Die Linke.

But wouldn’t that just encourage people to take public transit instead?

Also, apparently she also said that affected families would receive €75 from the government to help them pay for it. She knows it’s going to affect the poor and people who don’t have easy access to public transit but she’s willing to help those affected people and make sure people who contribute more to CO2 emissions, pay more.

“Betroffene Familien sollten pro Jahr und Kopf ein "Energiegeld" von 75 Euro bekommen, forderte Baerbock am Freitag auf einer Wahlkampfveranstaltung in Magdeburg.

Für Familien mit niedrigem Einkommen auf dem Land könne das eine Mehrbelastung von bis zu 100 Euro bedeuten, so Baerbock. Das könne das "Energiegeld" mehr als ausgleichen. Profitieren würden dabei vor allem Familien mit kleinen Wohnungen und wenigen Autos. "Wenn ich in einem sehr, sehr großen Haus wohne und sehr, sehr viele Autos fahre, muss ich am Ende mehr bezahlen."

Source: https://www.sueddeutsche.de/politik/landtag-magdeburg-baerbock-einkommensschwache-bei-co2-preis-entlasten-dpa.urn-newsml-dpa-com-20090101-210528-99-781775!amp?__twitter_impression=true

Link to post
Share on other sites

Community Leader 8,555
1 hour ago, Starboy said:

But wouldn’t that just encourage people to take public transit instead?

That still only works in bigger cities. I had lived long enough in a rural area to know that people there rely on their car. You can't expect them to drive 100km per day with public transit.

Also, 100 EUR per year is really measly, considering the huge inconvenience this is. Running with the 100km from before, this would be ~35 EUR more per month if you work 5 times a day.

There's a reason even ideologically closer parties resent this proposition.

Also, how will this effect police, firemen and hospitals? Are they exempt? Will they have to pay less? This is just a stupid and not well thought out idea.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Popster to Popster 2,608
4 minutes ago, corvus albus said:

That still only works in bigger cities. I had lived long enough in a rural area to know that people there rely on their car. You can't expect them to drive 100km per day with public transit.

Also, 100 EUR per year is really measly, considering the huge inconvenience this is. Running with the 100km from before, this would be ~35 EUR more per month if you work 5 times a day.

There's a reason even ideologically closer parties resent this proposition.

Also, how will this effect police, firemen and hospitals? Are they exempt? Will they have to pay less? This is just a stupid and not well thought out idea.

Yes, which is why she plans on giving money to people who live in the rural parts of the country, or those who can’t afford it, to help pay for the increase in gas prices.

It’s an unfortunate but necessary evil in my opinion. Yes, this would slightly hurt people economically but it would likely reduce CO2 emissions.

I get why this proposition may seem controversial but I like it and I don’t think many Germans will change their opinion of her or her party for it. Most people that were already planning on voting for Die Grünen will probably still vote for them. Polls have them solidly in second or first place and I don’t see that changing anytime soon.

I think the finer details would have to be worked out later down the line as it seems this a recent policy proposal but I have faith that they will work something out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Community Leader 8,555
6 minutes ago, Starboy said:

It’s an unfortunate but necessary evil in my opinion. Yes, this would slightly hurt people economically but it would likely reduce CO2 emissions.

No it's not, because rural ares are already economical losers and making it extra hard for them is not a necessary evil but deliberately disregarding a demographic that overwhelmingly doesn't vote for them. They have nothing to lose, and so they choose this approach rather than anything else.

Let me emphasize, this proposition is not a solution.

This has always been how The Greens deal with demographics that largely don't vote for them, for example the entirety of East Germany. They always held this part of the country in contempt instead of trying to help people there, which is why they're not very popular.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Popster to Popster 2,608
31 minutes ago, corvus albus said:

No it's not, because rural ares are already economical losers and making it extra hard for them is not a necessary evil but deliberately disregarding a demographic that overwhelmingly doesn't vote for them. They have nothing to lose, and so they choose this approach rather than anything else.

Let me emphasize, this proposition is not a solution.

This has always been how The Greens deal with demographics that largely don't vote for them, for example the entirety of East Germany. They always held this part of the country in contempt instead of trying to help people there, which is why they're not very popular.

No, it’s not a solution but it will help towards achieving carbon neutrality so it’s one of many policies that would contribute to that. It’s not something that I think would be too effective but it’d certainly help to some degree. Is it worth losing some voters over it? No I don’t think so.

I get that, and that’s usually why Greens around the world struggle to do well in elections because they mostly appeal to a niche demographic. I do have to credit the German Greens for broadening their appeal though. Maybe the gas increase isn’t one of their best ideas but it’s not a terrible one that would cost them the election.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Popster to Popster 2,608

Twitter suspended in Nigeria

 

Canadian PM Justin Trudeau’s government has now spent $100 million in court against indigenous tribes

  • sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Community Leader 8,555
21 minutes ago, Starboy said:

15% is barely anything… the original proposal was 25%

The original was 21% but even bigger countries like Canada udn the World Bank weren't ok with that.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Popster to Popster 2,608
24 minutes ago, corvus albus said:

The original was 21% but even bigger countries like Canada udn the World Bank weren't ok with that.

Thank you for correcting me! I knew it was somewhere in that range. It’s unfortunate that not everyone was okay with that number, which isn’t even that high. It’s not like corporations have much of a choice anyways.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Popster to Popster 2,608

A number of elections occurring today! Here’s a brief rundown:

 

Mexican legislative and regional elections

Spoiler

Nice thread explaining the parties that are on the ballot.

 

Unprecedented violence against politicians running for office in the lead up to the elections.

 

  • “Sunday’s midterm elections will determine the makeup of the 500-seat Chamber of Deputies, the lower house of Congress, as well as 15 governorships and thousands of mayoral and local councillor positions.”
  • “A good result in the Chamber of Deputies is especially important for AMLO, who was elected in 2018 to a six-year term, as he seeks to push through several major policy promises in his remaining three years in office.”
  • “Recent polls suggest Morena may lose some of its current 253 seats in the Chamber of Deputies, but is still likely to retain a majority with the help of the allied Green and Labour parties.”

 

Peru presidential election

Spoiler

Exit polls show Fujimori with a very narrow lead over Castillo.

 

Peruvians go to the polls on June 6 for a runoff election between two presidential candidates who, in April 11 first-round voting, combined for barely 30 percent of the vote. The candidates, Pedro Castillo and Keiko Fujimori, represent ideological extremes in a country hit hard by the COVID-19 pandemic, which both heightened and highlighted gaping social divisions and failures of the past 30 years’ economic model.”

 

French by-elections

Spoiler

 

 

Saxony-Anhalt regional election in Germany

Spoiler

The CDU seemed to have held off against the AfD and managed to do well in this election.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Nightwing changed the title to All Things International Politics: Peru presidential election results and more!
  • Nightwing changed the title to All Things International Politics: UK local election results

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×
×
  • Create New...