All Things International Politics: UK local election results

Nightwing

The Fame Popster 485

An open letter to the parliamentarians and leaders of France has been published and signed by a sizable amount of former (retired) French army officials. The letter, using anti-immigrant dogwhistle terms, threatens civil war and deaths "number[ing] in the thousands" if the government does not take steps to tackle Muslim immigration and the demands of the yellow jacket (gilets jaunes) protesters. 

Source: https://www.place-armes.fr/post/lettre-ouverte-a-nos-gouvernants (in French)

• shook 1

The Fame Popster 485

More international news from recent times:

Israel has been accused of apartheid and persecution of Palestinians within its borders by the Human Rights Watch. Source (AP)

An Indonesian submarine has imploded and sunk with 53 aboard, confirmed after a 4-day search following the submarine losing contact over radar. It is the worst submarine disaster in almost 20 years. Source (New York Post)

Idriss Déby Itno, president of the African nation of Chad for 31 years, was killed in a militant skirmish in the northwest of the country. Upon his death - which took place the day after he was declared the winner of a sixth term in office - the country's national assembly was dissolved and his son has taken interim power. Source (Reuters)

A fire at a hospital in Baghdad, capital of Iraq, has killed at least 82 people. The fire was caused by an oxygen cylinder exploding. The hospital lacked any fire detection infrastructure, and many covid patients died removing their ventilators so they could try to escape. Source (New York Times)

The University of Oxford announced a major breakthrough in the vaccination campaign against malaria. Their new vaccine for the disease has been administered to over 450 children in Burkina Faso, and has been about 77% effective. Malaria currently kills an estimated 400,000 people per year, mostly in sub-Saharan Africa. Source (BBC)

Edited by calmar
  • thanks 1

• Nightwing changed the title to All Things International Politics: Oktoberfest cancelled again
Pop-a-911-ster 27,749
1 hour ago, Starboy said:

According to the latest exit polls, the People’s Party has won a huge chunk of the vote and almost has a governing majority.

came to post about this :icant:

Imatge

With more than 50% of the votes counted in, PP (conservatives, very right leaning) is winning by a massive majority, even bigger than the one in the exit polls. I'm not even disappointed because it was obvious this was going to be the result

• thanks 1

Moderator 16,150
7 hours ago, Starboy said:

Well it’s a cherished tradition in Germany so I thought most beer-loving Germans would be sad :toofunny:

I am German :enigma:

But I hate Oktoberfest :enigma:

It has become more of a tourist attraction than a traditional celebration. Not a lot of Germans want to pay 8€ for bad beer. I could get 6-8 bottles of good beer for that. 

Also, a little cultural problem, a lot of Germans hate the Bavarians :ohhh:

Pop-a-911-ster 27,749

@Starboy (almost) final results

The left always flop in Madrid, but I didnt expect them to do worse than usual. The fact PP got almost double the parliament seats they had last year :rip:

the good thing is that the far-right-pretending-to-be-liberal party Cs (the orange in the graph) went from 26 seats to zero :billie:

also former vicepresident Pablo Iglesias, that quit that role a couple months ago to focus on trying that the left parties obtained the best results in the madrid region elections, has announced he is quitting politics after the bad results.

2019 vs 2021 results per area.

Edited by Andreu
  • love 1

Pop-a-911-ster 27,749

A piece of news from a couple days ago but definitely worth posting

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/03/state-broadcaster-in-italy-under-fire-after-censoring-rapper-fedez-rai

State broadcaster in Italy under fire after ‘censoring’ rapper

Rai faces calls to apologise to Fedez over alleged attempt to silence his condemnation of homophobia

Fedez in a performance on Rai TV in 2014

The Italian state broadcaster, Rai, is under pressure to clarify accusations that it attempted to censor a rapper’s condemnation of homophobia.

Fedez blasted politicians with the far-right League party, who are blocking a parliamentary vote on an anti-homophobia law, during a concert televised on Rai 3 to mark Labour Day on Saturday.

The rapper said he was asked by Rai to present the text of what he was planning to say before going on stage and was then urged to remove references to the League, the party led by Matteo Salvini.

The case has caused a political storm in Italy, where several attempts over the past 25 years to enshrine LGBTQ+ rights in law have either been stifled or sabotaged.

Fedez went ahead with his remarks anyway, which included reading out homophobic statements made by League politicians.

After the broadcaster denied censoring him, Fedez released a recorded phone call with a Rai executive who said his comments would be “inappropriate” and advised him to omit the names of the politicians he planned to criticise.

• sad 1
  • thanks 1

The Fame Popster 485

All the right and far-right gains in these countries around the world reminds me of the 1930s and frightens me, I won't lie. 

• sad 1

• Nightwing changed the title to All Things International Politics: EU, Russia support waiving COVID vaccine patent
Pop-a-911-ster 38,687
9 minutes ago, Starboy said:

This is all happening thanks to the U.S. being the first nation to call for the waiving of COVID vaccine patents.

First rich* nation

• Nightwing changed the title to All Things International Politics: UK local election results
Moderator 16,150
12 hours ago, Starboy said:

Exciting new poll coming out showing Die Grünen polling in first place (once again). The CDU and SPD polling pretty badly compared to their last election results.

The probability of a Grüne/Linke/SPD coalition is becoming even likelier, which would be amazing.

This is poll is a big outlier. The most likely options are also Grüne/SPD/FDP and CDU/CSU/Grüne. An entirely left coalition won't happen, as Die Linke have too many views that conflict with a rational coalition, especially in foreign affairs. 

Moderator 16,150

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/france-delaying-eu-order-covid-19-vaccine-germanys-welt-2021-05-07/

What is wrong with the French Fries?! :lesson:@Miaou :lesson:

France is delaying a European Union order for 1.8 billion doses of the BioNTech/Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine planned for the next two years, Germany's Die Welt daily newspaper reported on Friday, citing EU diplomats.

The paper said it was unclear what the reason was for hesitation from Paris, but diplomats had speculated that it might want French companies to play a bigger part in the vaccine production.

The paper reported that at recent meetings about vaccine orders, French representatives had held up decision-making by posing technical questions and requests for clarifications.

Due to massive global demand for booster doses as well as vaccines for young people, EU governments fear that they may be too late and lose out on the order.

"That would be a disaster for which France would be responsible," Die Welt quoted one diplomat as saying.

Pop-a-911-ster 26,428
6 minutes ago, corvus albus said:

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/france-delaying-eu-order-covid-19-vaccine-germanys-welt-2021-05-07/

What is wrong with the French Fries?! :lesson:@Miaou :lesson:

France is delaying a European Union order for 1.8 billion doses of the BioNTech/Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine planned for the next two years, Germany's Die Welt daily newspaper reported on Friday, citing EU diplomats.

The paper said it was unclear what the reason was for hesitation from Paris, but diplomats had speculated that it might want French companies to play a bigger part in the vaccine production.

The paper reported that at recent meetings about vaccine orders, French representatives had held up decision-making by posing technical questions and requests for clarifications.

Due to massive global demand for booster doses as well as vaccines for young people, EU governments fear that they may be too late and lose out on the order.

"That would be a disaster for which France would be responsible," Die Welt quoted one diplomat as saying.

What 😶

The 😶

f- 😶

are they smoking something or what :rip: we need the more doses possible as we can not a financial deal

it’s not a financial crisis first it’s a sanitary crisis :rip:

Edited by Miaou
  • thanks 1

Moderator 16,150
1 minute ago, Miaou said:

What 😶

The 😶

f- 😶

are they smoking something or what :rip: we need the more doses possible as we can not a financial deal

it’s not a financial crisis first it’s a sanitary crisis :rip:

I was mortified when I read that :fall:

Pop-a-911-ster 26,428
1 minute ago, corvus albus said:

I was mortified when I read that :fall:

Are you sure it’s real cause I have no words right now :fall:

Moderator 16,150
Just now, Miaou said:

Are you sure it’s real cause I have no words right now :fall:

I read the Die Welt article they gave a lot more names and quotes and even reasons for why your government does this. They think that France wants to have more vaccine fabrication in their country as basically all the local vaccine developers have failed.

• lol 1

Pop-a-911-ster 26,428
39 minutes ago, corvus albus said:

I read the Die Welt article they gave a lot more names and quotes and even reasons for why your government does this. They think that France wants to have more vaccine fabrication in their country as basically all the local vaccine developers have failed.

:rip:

• hugs 1

Popster to Popster 2,701

Some noteworthy revelations from the UK’s local elections:

• Sadiq Khan is re-elected as Mayor of London with 55% of the vote.

https://www.bbc.com/news/topics/c27kz1m3j9mt/london-elections-2021

• The Labour Party remain the biggest party in the Welsh parliament. They gained one seat. (Keir Starmer should take notes).

https://www.bbc.com/news/topics/cqwn14k92zwt/welsh-parliament-election-2021

• The SNP fails to gain a majority in the Scottish parliament but gain 3 seats and will have enough pro-independence MSPs to put forth another referendum for independence from the UK, with support from the Greens.

https://www.bbc.com/news/topics/c37d28xdn99t/scottish-parliament-election-2021

• Labour suffers another humiliating election across England as they lose 4 Councils and 317 Councillors. Tories continue to dominate as they gain control of another 12 Councils and add 239 more Councillors.

https://www.bbc.com/news/topics/c481drqqzv7t/england-local-elections-2021

• Labour loses longtime stronghold, Hartlepool, in a landslide to the Tories for the first time since the constituency’s creation in 1974.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-57019456

• Nightwing changed the title to All Things International Politics: UK local election results