ARTPOP flopped because of Born This Way

little legend

Community Leader 2,817
1 minute ago, Delusional said:

Bionic/Britney Jean/Witness weren’t flops but our memories and perspectives of them are?

time will tell babygirl, but ARTPOP wasn't a flop. a flop doesn't have a sold out tour and multiple top ten hits 

Community Leader 2,817
3 minutes ago, Delusional said:

A sold out tour that was a massive downgrade from the BTWB behemoth just like the sales? The multiple top 10s - aka 2 - including the top 10 that was frauded by YouTube views? :whatga: 

no, including the one with that was the most preordered song in itunes history up to that point lol

• yaas, gaga 2

Pop-a-911-ster 26,683
2 hours ago, Delusional said:

It’s recurrent streams are tragic, it’s only remembered for being an underperformance, every single move was panned and I could go on and on

not to mention BTW would have sold over 600k without the discount anyway, so that’s already almost triple ARTPOP’s first week sales

it was a flop for Gaga. Comparing it to other album releases from the time is pointless too because Dark Horse and Wrecking Ball each get more daily streams than all of ARTPOP

It was very well promoted in the start too, the issue was and still is the material...

2 hours ago, Delusional said:

it was a flop with the critics, gp, and the clear divide within our fanbase shows it shouldn’t have been released :rip:

yes looking back now in today’s music climate a 14 week top 10 and a no.1 platinum album looks cute but she was coming off an era that had 4 of those top 10s :rip: it was a tragic downfall that took years to repair and now it’s been left in the dust with 300k recurrents 

what’s next? Bionic/Britney Jean/Witness weren’t flops but our memories and perspectives of them are?

Tea tea and tea 

It was tragic for Gaga’s standards and for the climate in 2013 

• thanks 2

The Popster 162
3 hours ago, Delusional said:

It’s recurrent streams are tragic, it’s only remembered for being an underperformance, every single move was panned and I could go on and on

not to mention BTW would have sold over 600k without the discount anyway, so that’s already almost triple ARTPOP’s first week sales

it was a flop for Gaga. Comparing it to other album releases from the time is pointless too because Dark Horse and Wrecking Ball each get more daily streams than all of ARTPOP

It was very well promoted in the start too, the issue was and still is the material...

Artpop was literally released during the transition into streaming and the same year as beyonce’s self titled. 
I don’t understand why y’all are so hard on it 

• paws up 3
  • lol 1

The Popster 115

I miss Pre 2014. She legit is such a different person now it sucks so much... She used to fight for artistic freedom and had ambition for music and super creative ideas. Now she just seems like such a sellout. Ever since she moved to California she turned into the thing she used to hate the most, the celebrity elite. Now all we get are ads and Sponsorship that somehow is about creative freedom and now every album she releaseis only based arounf the idea of her trying to handle some kind of trauma 

:(

• hugs 1

Deactivated 14,311
Just now, Delusional said:

I’m not sure where self titled fits into this 

We are hard on it because it was a stain in Gaga’s discography - material and era wise :elmo: at least with a non existent era like Chromatica the music is amazing :elmo:

Artpop is a great album. Sit. 

• paws up 3
  • thanks 1

The Popster 162
10 hours ago, Delusional said:

I’m not sure where self titled fits into this 

We are hard on it because it was a stain in Gaga’s discography - material and era wise :elmo: at least with a non existent era like Chromatica the music is amazing :elmo:

The only reason everyone equates artpop to having bad music is literally just due to numbers, because most people don’t formulate their own taste; they just look at numbers and deem talent and taste based on that. Which is stupid. If any pop girl wanted the numbers, they could get them. They just have to get out there - if they want to. 
Hence Chromatica. People are so wrapped up in chart positions and it makes no sense because most if it is just indirect payola. Like it makes no sense why everyone gets so wrapped up in numbers 

• paws up 1

Pop-a-911-ster 26,683
1 hour ago, Aphrodizy26 said:

The only reason everyone equates artpop to having bad music is literally just due to numbers, because most people don’t formulate their own taste; they just look at numbers and deem talent and taste based on that. Which is stupid. If any pop girl wanted the numbers, they could get them. They just have to get out there - if they want to. 
Hence Chromatica. People are so wrapped up in chart positions and it makes no sense because most if it is just indirect payola. Like it makes no sense why everyone gets so wrapped up in numbers 

Not at all.

Venus, Aura, Swine, Jewels, Dope...etc are just tragic songs for me and the numbers won’t change my mind and my taste. 
Not my fault if I like only 3 songs on the album (Manicure, DWUW, Gypsy) 

• shook 1

The Popster 162
16 minutes ago, Miaou said:

Not at all.

Venus, Aura, Swine, Jewels, Dope...etc are just tragic songs for me and the numbers won’t change my mind and my taste. 

And that’s fine, but i’m referring to people who mainly site chart positions and numbers for “good music”  

Community Leader 2,817
15 hours ago, Shoful said:

and now every album she releaseis only based arounf the idea of her trying to handle some kind of trauma 

It's almost as if artists write about their experiences and the healing around them. If you don't like it, don't listen. 

• thanks 1

Community Leader 2,817
49 minutes ago, Miaou said:

Not at all.

Well no wonder you think it's a horrible, trash album if you dislike some of the most important songs on it. Still doesn't make it a flop, though! And DEFINITELY not the fault of BTW.

• paws up 2

The Popster 162
Just now, Joannesrats said:

Well no wonder you think it's a horrible, trash album if you dislike some of the most important songs on it. Still doesn't make it a flop, though! And DEFINITELY not the fault of BTW.

purrr Archie Comics Lol GIF

Pop-a-911-ster 26,683
7 minutes ago, Joannesrats said:

Those songs aren't important at all on the album for me and I was so disappointed by this album but anyway

ARTPOP was definitely a flop for her standard back in 2013 and it was an underperformance for the music's climate sales in 2013. I mean, even Miley Cyrus was outselling her. (even if it was Miley's peak but still Gaga was coming for the huge BTW era, she was the biggest artist on the planet). 

BUT the era of ARTPOP isn't a tragic flop ala Smile or Witness. Applause was a hit in the US (in the rest of the world it was meh tho)

And let's not talk about the WW chartruns of the album :rip:

Edited by Miaou

Community Leader 2,817
1 minute ago, Miaou said:

Those songs aren't important at all on the album for me

Yes, again, for YOU. Thematically, they are very important. More than Manicure or Gypsy. 

Pop-a-911-ster 26,683
1 minute ago, Joannesrats said:

Yes, again, for YOU. Thematically, they are very important. More than Manicure or Gypsy. 

and again thematically for YOU they are very important 

Community Leader 2,817
Just now, Miaou said:

and again thematically for YOU they are very important 

No, not for me. The way Gaga talked about those songs and the way she included them in the album prove that they have a higher importance. The same way that Replay has more importance to Chromatica than Sour Candy does. The opinion of how good a song is is objective, but for a theme of an album? That's pretty cut and dry

• thanks 1