How many languages can you speak?

Daddy

Pop-a-911-ster 26,413
1 minute ago, Sir.Sim said:

The moment I learn German completely I’m going to enrol myself In professor @Miaou‘s French class

DFC03054-D905-4121-8-A9-E-CDFB956944-AD.

Omg this pic is so cute 

I’ll be your best student :billiecat:

• yaas, gaga 1

Pop-a-911-ster 20,587
1 hour ago, Sir.Sim said:

So I have never heard Estonian language in my whole life and after seeing your post I went to YouTube to check out Estonian language 

and OMG it sounds so heavenly!! :love:

Estonian is the language of the fairies :bunny: 

• paws up 1
  • yaas, gaga 3

Moderator 3,690

Estonian is my mother tongue and I am C2 in English so I can say that I am fluent in it. I studied Russian in school for 9 years and I can understand most basic stuff in it, but I am definitely not fluent in it. 

• paws up 5

Pop-a-911-ster 26,763
x3

Greek 

English 

Italian

German ( it's been ages since i last spoke in german , so I don't know if i remember more than the basics)

Edited by little legend
  • paws up 3

Pop-a-911-ster 26,763
x3
13 hours ago, Miaou said:

-native french speaker 

then 

1. English 

2. Spanish 

3. Italian 

4. Romanian

5. German 

:cm:

I want to also learn spanish and since i know italian , i think it will be so easy. It's almost the same language. I'm just afraid that i will be confused with which word is on which language since they are almost identical

• love 1

• 2 weeks later...
The Fame Popster 485

I only consider myself fluent in English, since I can express all thoughts about all subjects only in my native language. I've used other languages before to get by while travelling, but I don't know if that fits my own personal definition of 'speaking' it or as a skill I'd put on a resumé/CV. 

• paws up 2

ARTPOPster 1,319
On 4/12/2021 at 10:59 AM, Franch Toast said:

Proficient in reading Classical Chinese (which is only a written and not spoken language). 

Basic level of reading Cantonese Chinese, but cannot speak it (yet). 

W h a t 

GIF by Achievement Hunter

what is “reading cantonese”

what is “Classical Chinese” 

??

do you mean Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese? Because Cantonese dominantly uses traditional Chinese and Cantonese is a spoken dialect. Mandarin is more commonly associated with with simplified Chinese so I’m very confused 

Anyways 

I’m fluent in Cantonese and English 

Proficient in French and Spanish 

and my mandarin is functional 

I also read and write traditional Chinese 

Popstanne 5,076
2 minutes ago, blastertoyo said:

W h a t 

GIF by Achievement Hunter

what is “reading cantonese”

what is “Classical Chinese” 

??

do you mean Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese? Because Cantonese dominantly uses traditional Chinese and Cantonese is a spoken dialect. Mandarin is more commonly associated with with simplified Chinese so I’m very confused 

Anyways 

I’m fluent in Cantonese and English 

Proficient in French and Spanish 

and my mandarin is functional 

I also read and write traditional Chinese 

I mean, even though Cantonese primarily is a spoken language, some writers write in Cantonese, instead of standard written Chinese, and as you know, Cantonese has a different lexicon and grammar than standard written Chinese/Mandarin, so writing in Cantonese means using different written words and grammar––for example, the pronoun 佢instead of 她/他, 係 instead of 是, and so on. So I can understand some written Cantonese, but I speak Cantonese quite horribly. 

And by classical Chinese, I am talking about 文言, so referring to the language of the classics like 老子/莊子/詩經/左傳/春秋/classical poetry and what-not. Classical Chinese is a written, not spoken, language (since modern Chinese dialects are different from the ways Chinese was spoken in premodern times), and often has different grammar and vocab than 白話文, though modern literary Chinese, like what you find in the newspaper, draws on certain linguistic aspects of classical Chinese, most notably idioms 成語。 

I can read both simplified and traditional characters, though I learned traditional characters first and prefer them. 

ARTPOPster 1,319
12 hours ago, Franch Toast said:

I mean, even though Cantonese primarily is a spoken language, some writers write in Cantonese, instead of standard written Chinese, and as you know, Cantonese has a different lexicon and grammar than standard written Chinese/Mandarin, so writing in Cantonese means using different written words and grammar––for example, the pronoun 佢instead of 她/他, 係 instead of 是, and so on. So I can understand some written Cantonese, but I speak Cantonese quite horribly. 

And by classical Chinese, I am talking about 文言, so referring to the language of the classics like 老子/莊子/詩經/左傳/春秋/classical poetry and what-not. Classical Chinese is a written, not spoken, language (since modern Chinese dialects are different from the ways Chinese was spoken in premodern times), and often has different grammar and vocab than 白話文, though modern literary Chinese, like what you find in the newspaper, draws on certain linguistic aspects of classical Chinese, most notably idioms 成語。 

I can read both simplified and traditional characters, though I learned traditional characters first and prefer them. 

I’ve just so rarely seen anyone talk about it this way because Cantonese is written using traditional Chinese characters so it just seems a bit weird to distinguish “written Cantonese” as a separate dialect.

It just would make more sense to phrase it as you can’t speak Cantonese but you can read traditional Chinese 

I guess I’m just more confused about the distinction you were making about reading and speaking cuz if you can read something you are theoretically speaking it, like poems and “classic literature” is read, often aloud. Like Shakespearean English is a part of the English lexicon and isn’t a “separate language” unless were taking like old English but I get what you mean, just the phrasing was odd cuz I’ve never seen someone say they can “write Cantonese” in any way that isn’t misguided