Do you think people should disconnect art from the artist?

Delusional

Pop-a-911-ster 28,159
x2

Do you think people should disconnect art from the artist, like listening to a problematic artist but also condemning them at the same time? 

For example Azealia Banks, many people disagree with her views and comments yet listen to her music because they disconnect her from the art. 

• paws up 1

Moderator 4,648

In my opinion, it depends. I want to say that I disagree. But then I’m guilty of liking problematic artists. (I dislike the racism and Camila but I love her music)

So I think that people should decide if they think if the problematic artist went too far. 

• paws up 3

ARTPOPster 1,319

I feel like unless someone has commit crimes or is alleged/ convicted of crimes/ criminal activity and depending on the severity of the allegations or the activity

it’s all a grey area 

especially with music and art I think that there is less of a room for personal intervention? Like just because Havana oh nana is catchy and gets stuck in my head or has a nice melody, doesn’t meant I automatically support whatever racist comments she’s made. You can like a song or like music just because you like it or you like the beat. I do think it’s dumb when people dismiss it though like “I don’t care that ____ did ______, it’s a bop and I separate the art from the artist 

in contrast though, if the subject matter of said art is tied to their actions like do what u want or homophobic/racist lyrics 

then I think it’s more important to realize in supporting art with that subject matter, it’s tied to the artist.

also realizing that in consuming said art you’re putting money in that person’s pocket 

• paws up 3
  • thanks 1

Deactivated 14,311

Take Chris Brown... problematic past but an incredible talent. I see why people stan him. I don’t though. 

Sometimes I can seperate it but I think we as a society are too focused in cancelling as opposed to educating and reforming.

it seems the trend is to hide the problem away as opposed to changing/and educating the problem out of that person...

There is definitely a level of problematic issues that makes it unbearable to even listen to their music.

• paws up 2
  • thanks 1