Are Gaga’s concerts becoming predictable?

Pop-a-911-ster 21,607
x2
Posted (edited)

I was just listening and watching HOMECOMING by Beyoncé because she’s hugely grown on me the past couple weeks and I’m in shock at how top notch and revolutionary her tours are. The stages, setlists, choreo, vocals etc. are all so iconic and next level it’s insane!

However, it made me a bit sad when I thought about it because yes Beyoncé and Gaga are two wildly different performers but Gaga really needs to do something new on her tours...

I’m no mind reader and idk what will happen with TCB, but problem with Haus of Gaga is they keep recycling the same ideas and it’s getting boring. I already have an inkling that on TCB there is gonna be a JD - Telephone - LoveGame segment, where she has a Chromatica themed disco stick and the same old choreo too. Bad Romance will be the closer, the piano segment will feature You and I even though it doesn’t fit the tour at all, and hits that nobody needs to hear live for the 50th time like Alejandro and Paparazzi will be given the full spotlight even though they could do with a trim to 2 minutes each. :receipts:

I think new concepts, new versions of the songs, new smoother choreo, breakdowns, audience lighting (rings on sweetener tour etc) would all be such huge changes that I really hope her team implements on TCB because her concerts I feel are becoming predictable. 

Imagine if Gaga had a whole a** orchestra on tour with her doing the Chromatica interludes - like Bey had the marching band for homecoming? :enigma:

Anyone else feel the same? This isn’t me bashing Gaga’s concerts btw because they are GOOD and she’s an incredible performer but her and her team need to start thinking of ways to change stuff up. :bradley: Let’s discuss Poppers.

Edited by Delusional
  • shook 1
ARTPOPster 1,218
Posted (edited)

Unfortunately the setlist can only change if she gets more hits,

She will always have to play the majority of the songs on the current album cycle but since the majority of her hits are concentrated from her first three albums, it’s inevitable she will have to play the most songs from The Fame/Monster. She can now add Shallow (solo) and maybe Rain On Me if she cuts Ariana’s part (would be weird for her to sing Ari’s part). I personally don’t see her adding m/any songs from Chromatica or ASIB.

She could add million reasons or applause if she wanted since they did chart pretty well and the public knows them but otherwise I don’t see her adding songs from their albums.

Unless she adds songs from ARTPOP, Joanne, some album cuts from BTW for fan service, the setlist isn’t gonna change much unless/until she gets more hits. As much as I would love to hear her play more ASIB songs live, I think many are too vocally demanding to be put in the middle of tour sets and many would sound strange out of context IMO. 

Edited by blastertoyo
  • dope 1
A Popster Is Born 12,211

Honestly, yes. It's mainly the same, just with different costumes.

Even Enigma is what I expected. Other than a few props.

• dope 1
Pop-a-911-ster 21,607
x2
1 minute ago, blastertoyo said:

Unfortunately the setlist can only change if she gets more hits,

She will always have to play the majority of the songs on the current album cycle but since the majority of her hits are concentrated from her first three albums, it’s inevitable she will have to play the most songs from The Fame/Monster. She can now add Shallow (solo) and maybe Rain On Me if she cuts Ariana’s part (would be weird for her to sing Ari’s part). I personally don’t see her adding m/any songs from Chromatica or ASIB.

She could add million reasons or applause if she wanted since they did chart pretty well and the public knows them but otherwise I don’t see her adding songs from their albums.

Unless she adds songs from ARTPOP, Joanne, some album cuts from BTW for fan service, the setlist isn’t gonna change much unless/until she gets more hits. As much as I would love to hear her play more ASIB songs live, I think many are too vocally demanding to be put in the middle of tour sets and many would sound strange out of context IMO. 

I think everyone understands that setlists will always feature mainly the same songs but it’s the concepts that need to change imo. If her team isn’t willing to push singles for more hits then they need to switch up the ones we already have for tours by mashing them up with fan favourites or fusing multiple hits together in order to make room for a cute deep cut from ARTPOP/Joanne etc. 

Could totally see C2/911 being fused with Judas and Born This Way for example or C1/Alice/PokerFace/LoveGame all being linked using the “ma ma ma” from PF 

• dope 1
ARTPOPster 1,218
8 minutes ago, Delusional said:

I think everyone understands that setlists will always feature mainly the same songs but it’s the concepts that need to change imo. If her team isn’t willing to push singles for more hits then they need to switch up the ones we already have for tours by mashing them up with fan favourites or fusing multiple hits together in order to make room for a cute deep cut from ARTPOP/Joanne etc. 

Could totally see C2/911 being fused with Judas and Born This Way for example or C1/Alice/PokerFace/LoveGame all being linked using the “ma ma ma” from PF 

The thought of 

“anything gooooooooooooooeee-ZAH”

🎻 🎻 🎻 

🎚🎚🎚

tUrNin uP eMptIoNaL fAdErs

Is sending me 

• lol 1
The Popster 97
Posted (edited)

I think the only repetitive and predictable tour she has was JWT and mainly because of Enigma. They just emulated each other.

The first three were incredible and very creative. Especially the ARTRAve. Her characters and performances were on point and the set including props to visuals are spectacular .

She’s the queen of giving her song a breath of fresh air during the earlier years of her career. Bloody Paparazzi choreo, acoustic versions, Puke paint, live band performance of swine, DITD live performance, Applause  performances and many more.

Maybe she’ll bring those back since Chromatica is her comeback to dance pop genre.

Edited by FFXIV WhiteMage
  • thanks 1
Pop-a-911-ster 21,607
x2
2 minutes ago, FFXIV WhiteMage said:

I think the only repetitive and predictable tour she has was JWT and mainly because of Enigma. They just emulated each other.

Yeah but when you look outside of tours and at her concerts in general...

JWT, Coachella, Super Bowl and Enigma are all very similar. Coachella was a step in the right direction with the deep cuts slotted in betweeen the hits but unfortunately it was rushed due to the time she had, we all know that.

Pop-a-911-ster 21,607
x2
Just now, Delusional said:

JWT, Coachella, Super Bowl and Enigma are all very similar. Coachella was a step in the right direction with the deep cuts slotted in betweeen the hits but unfortunately it was rushed due to the time she had, we all know that.

Oh and to develop on this, her concerts are becoming predictable. We all know the first 3 were phenomenal :legend: (Joanne was good but again it felt like a extended Super Bowl and more developed Coachella set)

• dope 1
ARTPOPster 1,218
27 minutes ago, Delusional said:

I will give her credit for harnessing (pun intended) her skills she learned for the Super Bowl performance and using it at enigma, the opening where she’s flying around on wires in a mirrored bodysuit lookin like a disco ball was very fun and very different for her. I hope she uses it to spice up some performances and tours in the future but not use it too much/tire it out 

• dope 1
The Fame Popster 289
Posted (edited)

The artist's primary job is to convince their audience what they're doing is culturally significant and worthy of their time/money. Because Gaga naturally excels at convincing people of her artistic vision,  she shouldn't rest on her laurels if her catalog is a source of frustration. It's hard to say how she feels about her old songs. Saying that, I think fans should stop treating her catalog like an albatross (ie, 'she must perform these old songs forever!' and/or 'her old songs are stunting her live shows!'). Like, she doesn't need to perform Bad Romance a million times but it's fine if she likes her own music!? 

Concert tours are an opportunity to double down on your creative vision. If you think your audience is disinterested in your latest efforts, that's precisely when you need to convince them (and yourself) otherwise. ARTPOP overall worked for this reason but the Joanne World Tour suffered from creative hesitancy. Like, you can't say f- popstars then sing your little popstar songs in your little popstar outfits on your little popstar stage! Notably, ASIB did double down on the Joanne vibe and if it weren't for ASIB, I could imagine her doing a stripped down JWT. It's just she knew ASIB would check that box for audiences and we would've complained about that too! 

Generally, I like how Taylor never prioritizes old projects (does she really have hits? :tea:) over new projects and concert-goers now expect an album-centric experience.  If Gaga tours Chromatica, I would love for her to feature all of Chromatica and 5~ relevant hits. All that worldbuilding would pay dividends in live performances, we were actually robbed omfg.

Edited by blue
  • dope 2
Pop-a-911-ster 21,607
x2
34 minutes ago, blue said:

Taylor never prioritizes old projects (does she really have hits? :tea:)

What :rip:

• thanks 1
The Popster 168

The big problems with 'recent' Lady Gaga tours is the lack of good execution and strong storylines (which was the strenght of Monster Ball and BTW Ball tours at that time)

JWT lacked of storyline and top-notched production, Enigma could have been far better with great outfits and some clever direction.

By the way, Richy really need to stop giving her too hard choreos to do, it's not serving her vocal performances. They really should bet on stage direction more than dance numbers. 

Michael Bearden is a talented show director though, I'm sure he'll find a way to push a top-notched / iconic tour in the future

• dope 2
Pop-a-911-ster 21,607
x2
3 minutes ago, monketsharona said:

By the way, Richy really need to stop giving her too hard choreos to do, it's not serving her vocal performances. They really should bet on stage direction more than dance numbers. 

It’s like... he’s giving her choreo that’s easy for her to do with her condition but the vocals suffer a lot. :rip: idk what they should do in that department because it’s so complicated that he probably is trying his best.

The Popster 168
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Delusional said:

It’s like... he’s giving her choreo that’s easy for her to do with her condition but the vocals suffer a lot. :rip: idk what they should do in that department because it’s so complicated that he probably is trying his best.

A lot of artists are playing some tricks on this (Madonna for example) betting more on the visual, props and stage direction while not executing full choreos. That's exactly what Lady Gaga should do. Doing few dance numbers (not full choreos, just parts of the most iconic like BR, PF, BTW, Just Dance, Telephone) and serving great vocals on other songs. Just give more credits to dancers in the visuals while she's more focusing on the acting and singing. 

Edited by monketsharona
  • dope 2
Moderator 3,744

Since I have been to ftmb, btwb, artrave and jwt, they might be predictable but they are addicting. Every time I go to a Gaga concert and its the last song playing I’m thinking about the next opportunity to see her!

• dope 1
Moderator 3,744
2 hours ago, blue said:

The artist's primary job is to convince their audience what they're doing is culturally significant and worthy of their time/money. Because Gaga naturally excels at convincing people of her artistic vision,  she shouldn't rest on her laurels if her catalog is a source of frustration. It's hard to say how she feels about her old songs. Saying that, I think fans should stop treating her catalog like an albatross (ie, 'she must perform these old songs forever!' and/or 'her old songs are stunting her live shows!'). Like, she doesn't need to perform Bad Romance a million times but it's fine if she likes her own music!? 

Concert tours are an opportunity to double down on your creative vision. If you think your audience is disinterested in your latest efforts, that's precisely when you need to convince them (and yourself) otherwise. ARTPOP overall worked for this reason but the Joanne World Tour suffered from creative hesitancy. Like, you can't say f- popstars then sing your little popstar songs in your little popstar outfits on your little popstar stage! Notably, ASIB did double down on the Joanne vibe and if it weren't for ASIB, I could imagine her doing a stripped down JWT. It's just she knew ASIB would check that box for audiences and we would've complained about that too! 

Generally, I like how Taylor never prioritizes old projects (does she really have hits? :tea:) over new projects and concert-goers now expect an album-centric experience.  If Gaga tours Chromatica, I would love for her to feature all of Chromatica and 5~ relevant hits. All that worldbuilding would pay dividends in live performances, we were actually robbed omfg.

Unfortunately artists who have big hits are expected to perform them. As some people go to concerts to hear those songs. And personally I dont mind at all. It was so special to me to hear Just Dance, Pokerface, Paparazzi, etc at the jwt. Like I heard them during the fmb for the first time like I stan her for that long. It made me feel connected even more. 

A Popster Is Born 12,310
x2

@Delusional me being a Beyoncé and Gaga fan there’s 4 things Beyoncé does or mastered that Gaga should do:

1. Transitions - Beyoncé cuts songs just like Gaga. But what Bey does is create clever transitions midway in the performance it keeps fan intrigued. The last transition Gaga did great was the Judas/Aura at Artrave. If she did that more often fans would love it! 
  2. Sampling/Remixes - Beyoncé pulls elements from  iconic songs that sound similar while she’s performing. Gaga should start remixing (they don’t alway have to be choatic club sounds but maybe a slower/smoother remix for songs like Love Game). Gaga should also try sampling especially with Replay with Diana Ross sampling like in this video. 
  3. Setlist Rollout - Gaga has hits so Bad Romance shouldn’t always be the final act or encore. Same with the JD/PF/Telephone act should be broken up. It be nice to see BR at the earlier segments and maybe Just Dance at the end. Also I love how at JWT she broke up the ballad segment into other acts. I wish that happens at TCB. Putting SFA towards the end, 1000 Doves midway thru the show with another ballad.
  4. Revamp Choreo - We’re all aware of Gaga’s health and some choreos are too iconic to ignore. She can keep the signature moves but alter the dance steps or utilize props instead of relying on dancing the full track.

I won’t come for her wigs, outfits, vocals, or props because when she’s in tour mode she does well in those departments. JWT proved how far she’s come. Enigma just don’t count for me. 

• dope 2
  • love 3
Popster to Popster 3,034
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Twitter said:

@Delusional me being a Beyoncé and Gaga fan there’s 4 things Beyoncé does or mastered that Gaga should do:

1. Transitions - Beyoncé cuts songs just like Gaga. But what Bey does is create clever transitions midway in the performance it keeps fan intrigued. The last transition Gaga did great was the Judas/Aura at Artrave. If she did that more often fans would love it! 
  2. Sampling/Remixes - Beyoncé pulls elements from  iconic songs that sound similar while she’s performing. Gaga should start remixing (they don’t alway have to be choatic club sounds but maybe a slower/smoother remix for songs like Love Game). Gaga should also try sampling especially with Replay with Diana Ross sampling like in this video. 
  3. Setlist Rollout - Gaga has hits so Bad Romance shouldn’t always be the final act or encore. Same with the JD/PF/Telephone act should be broken up. It be nice to see BR at the earlier segments and maybe Just Dance at the end. Also I love how at JWT she broke up the ballad segment into other acts. I wish that happens at TCB. Putting SFA towards the end, 1000 Doves midway thru the show with another ballad.
  4. Revamp Choreo - We’re all aware of Gaga’s health and some choreos are too iconic to ignore. She can keep the signature moves but alter the dance steps or utilize props instead of relying on dancing the full track.

I won’t come for her wigs, outfits, vocals, or props because when she’s in tour mode she does well in those departments. JWT proved how far she’s come. Enigma just don’t count for me. 

I really like your point about prop usage.  When she's got a guitar/keytar/piano/disco stick, I don't ever find myself wishing she was dancing instead. Interspersing segments with those instruments would help give her more of a rest but keep her engaged with the audience 

Spoiler

I promise this isn't just a way for me to backdoor force Electric Chapel and Marry The Night back onto the set list 

Spoiler

Except it absolutely is.  Bring them back :gaga-scream:

Edited by NotDoctor
  • dope 1
  • yaas, gaga 1
  • love 2