Serena Williams retires from tennis

BenG

Pop-a-911-ster 38,687

Serena Williams has announced her retirement from tennis, with the US Open likely to be her final tournament. She has won a total of 23 grand slam singles titles.

Williams's decision is influenced by her desire to expand her family. She gave birth to her first child, Olympia, in 2017.

https://www.vogue.com/article/serena-williams-retirement-in-her-own-words

Edited by BenG
  • paws up 1

Moderator 3,690
On 8/9/2022 at 8:25 PM, BenG said:

The end of an era. I wonder when Venus will go.

I think the sisters will retire together. It is clear that Venus isn't in a condition to win a match unless she gets really lucky with an opponent in the main draw of any WTA/slam tournament. Serena hasn't retired as she is still chasing the slam record of Margaret Court but I think the Wimbledon first round loss showed her that age has started to catch up with her and it is wiser to retire on her own terms. 

Pop-a-911-ster 38,687
On 8/10/2022 at 11:32 AM, joesuda said:

I think the sisters will retire together. It is clear that Venus isn't in a condition to win a match unless she gets really lucky with an opponent in the main draw of any WTA/slam tournament. Serena hasn't retired as she is still chasing the slam record of Margaret Court but I think the Wimbledon first round loss showed her that age has started to catch up with her and it is wiser to retire on her own terms. 

I was hoping they would continue playing doubles but I don't think that's going to happen

Moderator 3,690
On 8/10/2022 at 1:37 PM, BenG said:

I was hoping they would continue playing doubles but I don't think that's going to happen

If Serena truly wants more children as she said in the Vogue interview then she would probably be more at home and wouldn't want to travel so much as playing doubles would still require her to travel all over the world unless they would only play the US events. 

Pop-a-911-ster 38,687
On 8/10/2022 at 11:43 AM, joesuda said:

If Serena truly wants more children as she said in the Vogue interview then she would probably be more at home and wouldn't want to travel so much as playing doubles would still require her to travel all over the world unless they would only play the US events. 

Yeah. Don't think she will semi-retire and play mixed doubles to complete the Boxed Set either :sad:

• paws up 1

A Popster Is Born 17,072

Serena is over and done after the US Open. I refuse to believe she will even pick up a tennis racquet for a legend tournament or an exhibition. 

As a retired tennis pro myself, I’m so sad because she was playing my whole tennis life. Such a legend. But at the same time, I’m happy for the new chapter in her life.

• 3 weeks later...
Pop-a-911-ster 38,687

Serena is through to the 2nd round but she will face the 2nd seed next :pray:

Also very happy that the Williams sisters teamed up to play doubles!!

• BenG changed the title to Serena Williams retires from tennis