Taylor Swift "evermore" Discussion

gagarrhea

Moderator 3,690

Here are my thoughts after the first listen:
This is in the vein of folklore, but the vibe for me is clearly different. This album is more experimental, more introspective and less rooted in pop hooks. This album has an extremely strong opening (the first 5-6 songs). In the middle it maybe lingers too much, but those tracks may open themselves on repeated listens. The end picks up again starting from "cowboy like me" or "long story short".

Honestly this has even less pop radio appeal than folklore. Willow is one of the only songs with a pop hook. Honestly "long story short" or "gold rush" are the only other songs that would fit pop radio. However "no body, no crime" should be pushed for country radio. Honestly it is one of her countriest songs in a long time. Arguably even more country than "betty" and I feel it could perform well there. 

If you liked folklore you will like this album. If you did not like folklore then this probably is not for you. For metacritic this will perform worse than folklore as that was such a lightning in a bottle moment for her and you cannot recreate that. However I feel this is stronger than Lover so it maybe outperforms the 79 score, but that remains to be seen. I feel the more indie/alternative publications will like this more than folklore and the more mainstream publication will probably like this less that folklore (with the exception of the Rolling Stones as it is extremely favourable to Taylor). 

• paws up 1

Moderator 3,690
32 minutes ago, BenG said:

84 MC score so far

It's probably going to stay that number, multiple reviews have not been included there yet but almost all of them are 4/5 (except Rolling Stones which gave it a 4.5/5) 

Gaming Leader 8,440
2 hours ago, Joesuda said:

It's probably going to stay that number, multiple reviews have not been included there yet but almost all of them are 4/5 (except Rolling Stones which gave it a 4.5/5) 

Is it the same as Folklore review wise ?

Moderator 3,690
1 minute ago, Lorde Von Kok said:

Is it the same as Folklore review wise ?

Folklore scored better usually, many publication that gave folklore a 5/5 have given evermore 4/5. However there are a few publications that have given the same review (RS) and even some who have given evermore a higher score (NME gave folklore 4/5, evermore had a 5/5). folklore debuted metacritic with a 94 or 95 score and as the more negative reviews trickled in it declined. Therefore evermore will probably decline, but maybe more indie/alternative leaning publications will like this more and the opposite happens.

The Fame Popster 401

Lightning certainly didn't strike twice. I'm surprised she went ahead with this release and all the critics are praising her for an objectively subpar album after a return to form but maybe that's the point.

Edited by blue

Popster to Popster 4,420

So don't think this album reaches the magnificent heights of Folklore, but it's still  very good. It's early though, and my love for Folklore grew exponentially over time, so maybe this one will grow too!

I'm still getting a taste for the tracklist, but I'd say though that Willow and Ivy really stuck out on the first listen

Edited by WildAmerican
  • paws up 1

The Fame Popster 428

Finally got a chance to listen in full! I don't like it more than folklore but it's hard to say, one full listen through it nowhere near enough to judge or rank yet.

happiness and ivy were the standouts to me on the first go. no body no crime and 'tis the damn season are very fun

I'm disappointed by coney island because I LOVE The National, but it was kind a letdown.

Gotta listen to it on repeat for a few day to really marinate 

ARTPOPster 2,173

Wow. I’m wonder and starstruck. The song “no body, no crime” is INSANELY dark, like this could be turned into a thriller movie! I’m IN LOVE with it, from the story, the sound, the imagery, LOVE it. Recently I traumatized myself to the movie The Lovely Bones and this song gives me the same feeling but in a good way, SO dark yet mysterious, the way I like stories, this is part of why I love FNAF so much, dark stories give me life and this song is no exception! 🔥

• yaas, gaga 1

Popster This Way 564
On 12/10/2020 at 9:18 PM, Joannesrats said:

She is very good at this country/pop/indie girl aesthetic, but she isn't the best singer, is a bit stiff on stage, and there isn't anything special about her songwriting. She's the Ford of the music industry. Reliable, nothing special, decent at what she does, and loved without criticism. 

she is white :D people love to overpraise white folks :D same with eminem :D 

Kindness Admin 6,892
On 12/11/2020 at 5:17 AM, Daylight Oreos said:

Apparently, they sampled an audio recording of Taylor's grandma Marjorie, singing opera, on Marjorie (the song).

It's at around 3:12 after Taylor sang, "I'd think you're singing to me now".

That's so smart.

Wow, love this.

ARTPOPster 2,450

This album is such a grower. The first couple times I listened to it was like yeah it has some highs but also some skips and some of the songs sound a little messy, but after having it on repeat for a couple days I love all of it so much :bradley:

compared to folklore, I think it has higher highs but also lower lows, it isn’t as cohesive, but I like how it feels more personal and introspective 

Spoiler

I also can’t tell if everyone in my life suddenly hates me the last couple days, or if this album just really has me in my feelings :bradley:

• paws up 1