How do I use a forum? | Forum Tutorials

Dirkje

Moderator 4,653

Hello there! Welcome to this forum! If you have never used a forum before, a place like this can be overwhelming. We understand that!

So in this thread I'll show you through tutorials how everything works. 

I will be describing how the forum works technically and personalizing of your profile. Also statusses and Private Messaging (PM) are explained!

If you're still not really sure, feel free to @mention a moderator! They will help you! 

The moderators team:
@admin @Bakugo @Dirkje @joesuda@Sir.Sim @SLAG

We hope you'll enjoy your stay!

• paws up 7
  • yaas, gaga 4

Moderator 4,653

In this post I'll explain with screenshots how to use a forum. I will explain the most important stuff that you need to know!

1. How do I start a topic?

2U077Nj.png
Click on the button I've marked in red to start a topic. You will see this:

SZB5hy9.png
In the "Title" you will type the title. Examples: "Lady Gaga to perform at VMA's" or "What is your favorite season of the year?" 

This forum uses tags. Choose the tag that fits your topic the most. If you cant find the right tag, the thread you want to make probably dont fit in the right section. If you are unsure, you may ask a mod to assist. I've marked the tags in green. 

When you did that, you can type the thread. Sometimes you want to add an emote, center, etc your post. Then you can see the options I've marked in blue. 

Note: When posting an image or social media links, you simply copy its adress and paste in the thread. It should show automatically!

If you're done, you click on Submit Topic to place the thread. I've marked this in red. Now you may expect some replies from other people!

Note: Sometimes its useful to add a poll!

If you are able to, you will find the tab "Poll". Click on that to find this:
r4AYm37.png

In the image I have set up an example. This is a thread in the making that could use a poll! 
Make sure to fill in each required field. This example needs more than two choices. I've marked in green "add choice" which allows you to add all the options needed. When finished, click Submit Topic. This will submit the whole topic, including your main post!

2. How do I post a reply in a topic?

If you think a topic(or some people call it thread) is interesting to you, you may leave a comment. At the bottom at each thread that is open, you will find this:

XaSvurj.png

Just like making a new thread, here you can also pimp your reply. Note: only do this when necesary! If you cant find an option listed above, you probably need more posts or reputation to get it!

If you're done, click on Submit Reply. Marked in red! 

• paws up 3

Moderator 4,653

Personalizing of your profile:

I'll explain in a few posts below everything you need to know about personalizing. I'm gonna start with your profile: 

If you wanna go to your profile, watch this screenshot carefully:

djNrVkn.png

Click on the green era first, and then the red era.

You will see this:

oHZ2Qib.png In the post below I will continue explaining the red part. Which is how to upload an avatar. Some people call it avi in short. 

• paws up 3

Moderator 4,653

How to upload an avatar (avi) (The red part)

To upload an avatar click on the little image like you can see in the picture above. You will see this:

T8QDrDl.png

Step 1 (marked in blue): Click on Upload Photo
Step 2: (Marked in purple) Chose Single File. You will come in the images on your computer. Select the picture you want.
Step 3: Click on Continue (Marked in red)

Then you will see this:

bF6Czgj.png

Click on save and you're done!

• paws up 3

Moderator 4,653

If you click on "Edit Profile", marked in green in the image above, you will see this:

RuMjloC.png

41jwBJ5.png

You can edit your profile the way you wish! There is one important detail marked in red, which I'll explain in the post below about statuses. 

Once done, click on Save (in green) to finish!

• paws up 3

Moderator 4,653

Statusses:

If you go to the main page (Trending) and scroll down, you will see this:

e1Qx9O9.png

Before you can create statuses, you need to enable them on your profile. This is what I've circled in blue here:

RuMjloC.png 

If you did that, you can create a status. You do this by following the steps, see this image:

wMMZnQf.png First you click on "Create"(marked in green) and then click on "Status"(marked in red)

Then you will see this:

FDccmPh.png

Type whatever you like for your status and click on Submit Status (marked in red) to finish and post!

• paws up 3

• Dirkje changed the title to How do I use a forum? | Forum Tutorials
Moderator 4,653

Sometimes you want to have contact with an user in private. You can do this by sending them a Private Message (PM). I'll explain how you do this. Thank you @Bakugofor letting me use his profile so I can show you!

You go to their profile by clicking on their name. See the image below:

KZ01Hds.png

Click on "Message" (marked in red), you will see this:

G5FI0EW.png

Follow the instructions in the image and click on Send (marked in red). 

• paws up 3

• Dirkje pinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
Moderator 4,653
1 minute ago, NicksARTPOP said:

Tysm! Helped me with the main page but the rest I kinda know how to work out since I’ve been on sites like Gaga Daily before that have similar layouts. Thanks though!

You're welcome!

Moderator 4,653

NOTE:

These tutorials were made with the first version this forum saw. The steps are still right, the screenshots may look different. Feel free to contact someone if you have any questions about this!

• thanks 1

Moderator 4,653
1 minute ago, BenG said:

Not you showing off those fancy formatting buttons :snake:

Creating this I tried to wear the shoes of someone seeing this website for the very first time and never saw a forum. Now I use it to teach new popsters when needed. :bunny:

Pop-a-911-ster 38,812
3 minutes ago, Dirkje said:

Creating this I tried to wear the shoes of someone seeing this website for the very first time and never saw a forum. Now I use it to teach new popsters when needed. :bunny:

We love Prof. Mod Dirkje :bunny:

• paws up 1
  • hugs 1