Alec Baldwin accidentally kills crew member with a prop gun

boobatella

Pop-a-911-ster 20,718

Alec Baldwin accidentally killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins with a prop gun and injured the director Joel Souza.

Hutchins, 42, was transported by helicopter to University of New Mexico Hospital in Albuquerque, where she died. Souza, 48, was taken by ambulance to Christus St. Vincent Regional Medical Center in Santa Fe, where he received emergency treatment for his injuries, according to the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s office.

Edited by donatellab
  • sad 3

On 10/22/2021 at 1:44 PM, Paul Atreides said:

I wonder if he’ll just get a slap on the wrist for this.

One thing is certain: if he wasn't a hollywood actor, odds are he would get not only more than that but 0 sympathy from anyone

• thanks 1

The Fame Popster 428
On 10/22/2021 at 7:44 AM, Paul Atreides said:

That’s both shocking and horrifying to read. I wonder if he’ll just get a slap on the wrist for this.

There is nothing to indicate that this was his fault though. There are strict protocols for guns being used on sets, and we don't know who messed up here. If he was trusting the prop master that the gun was safe, he is also a victim in this tragedy. 

Hopefully this will change things, real guns shouldn't be used anymore, even firing blanks. Not worth the risks

• paws up 2
  • thanks 2

The Fame Popster 428
On 10/22/2021 at 12:17 PM, Paul Atreides said:

I'm not familiar with the laws in New Mexico but involuntary manslaughter is still a hefty charge, and it's not a question of who's fault it was because it was clearly Alec Baldwin who fired the gun. Even if he didn't know that the prop gun would actually kill someone, he still committed the act.

He is not a victim.

very unlikely he'll be charged with anything I think. He would have to have been acting recklessly for manslaughter to come in to play, and if he was acting in good faith according to the rules on set there's no grounds really. The death of Brandon Lee in a similar way was ruled an accident for example and no charges were laid, even against the production company. 

The Fame Popster 428
On 10/22/2021 at 12:37 PM, Paul Atreides said:

Even if that were the case, I’m sure a civil lawsuit would ensue from the family of the cinematographer.

oh yeah, that's definitely possible! According to this article the prop master was non-union, I know I'd be suing the production company for sure if I was her family! (it also say the the gun contained a live round which seems crazy to me, I'm sure more information will come out from the investigation so I'm going to take that with a grain of salt) 

Edited by LaLa
  • thanks 1

The Fame Popster 401
On 10/22/2021 at 9:17 AM, Paul Atreides said:

I'm not familiar with the laws in New Mexico but involuntary manslaughter is still a hefty charge, and it's not a question of who's fault it was because it was clearly Alec Baldwin who fired the gun. Even if he didn't know that the prop gun would actually kill someone, he still committed the act.

He is not a victim.

Context will make all the difference and they'll absolutely be splitting hairs in the forthcoming lawsuits. 

I think the fact that actors have little to no gun training/awareness and they're expected to shoot guns and entrust firearms experts actually makes matters worse and culpability wouldn't be up for debate in any other industry. However, that sort of argument will take some convincing because cast/crew probably sign liability waivers up the wazoo and liability is sort of dispersed. Even the fact that he's also a producer imo makes him more culpable b/c it's not like he was compelled to film this scene.

I think the more we learn, the worse it will look for Alec. 

Edited by blue
  • paws up 1
  • thanks 2