Do you believe in tipping or raising minimum wage?

thetea

I notice that in some places its customary to tip because minimum wages are lower. Would you rather tip or for workers to get higher minimum wages?

Moderator 6,288

Raising minimum wage would be more ideal and effective. I'm not sure exactly that people tip specifically because minimum wages are low tho. It's not very typical here in the UK -or at least where I live- as people don't usually expect or rely on tips to make up for their salary. I personally do tip because I like to show my appreciation for good service.

• paws up 3

Moderator 6,288

One question I'd like to ask the Americans is why you tip cab drivers? I was very surprised by that taking a cab in the U.S. for the first time. My m8's and I took the cab and paid the guy what was on the meter and he very aggressively  asked us where the tip was. Is this the same situation?

• paws up 1

Moderator 6,288
14 minutes ago, Gypsy Guy Holland said:

Im not sure what State you were in but in California traditional cabs barely exist since Uber took over but it’s customary to tip them as well. I know for Uber drivers Uber doesn’t pay nearly enough for wear and tear on vehicles I guess tips are supposed to cover those costs. (They most likely won’t though)

It wasn't an uber just a regular cab. I was in Florida.

19 minutes ago, Twitter said:

YES – to tipping. I’m a good tipper even when I’m broke. But if the quality and service is terrible expect nothing.

I'm sorry I really can't agree. I've read a lot that because people are struggling, they don't tip anymore because of COVID. This means that people who are already getting paid nearly nothing, make even less then they used to because most of the customers dont tip or are giving small tips

• paws up 2

ARTPOPster 2,450
5 minutes ago, SLAG said:

It wasn't an uber just a regular cab. I was in Florida.

Basically everyone in the US wants a tip for everything, but Florida in particular gets pretty aggressive about it 

• thanks 1

My sister went on an OE to the U.S a year back. And she was unsure how much to tip. When she got her nails done she tipped the lady $200 because she didn't know how much you're supposed to tip. 

• shook 2

Moderator 6,288
2 minutes ago, thetea said:

My sister went on an OE to the U.S a year back. And she was unsure how much to tip. When she got her nails done she tipped the lady $200 because she didn't know how much you're supposed to tip. 

Jesus Christ. Is she rich? I can’t imagine tipping over $20 for anything. Did she not understand the currency? :dead:

36 minutes ago, Twitter said:

NO – to minimum wage. I understand some folks are really struggling. I believe more programs should be available for them. However, raising minimum wage would be more stressful than you can think. Plus INFLATION!

Just going to leave this here:

”As of November 2020, Georgia and Wyoming have the lowest state minimum wage requirements, according to data from the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL). At $5.15 per hour, both states have a minimum wage of more than $2.00 below the federal mark of $7.25.”

• paws up 1

Pop-a-911-ster 38,687
41 minutes ago, Twitter said:

NO – to minimum wage. I understand some folks are really struggling. I believe more programs should be available for them. However, raising minimum wage would be more stressful than you can think. Plus INFLATION!

Correct. And minimum wage leads to higher unemployment. 

• paws up 1

Community Leader 2,817
43 minutes ago, Twitter said:

YES – to tipping. I’m a good tipper even when I’m broke. But if the quality and service is terrible expect nothing.

Raising minimum wage doesn't raise inflation, though? There's been no evidence of that occurring and inflation is going to increase anyways. The minimum wage needs to raise with it to make sure everyone has the same buying power in the economy as they did before. 

Community Leader 2,817

Tipping doesn't make much sense to me in most cases. I like how it is in most of Europe where it's just included in the price of the meal. 

Raising of the minimum wage is a NECESSITY. The entire point of it was to make sure that people can afford to live one, full-time (40 hours/week) job. That isn't possible on today's federal minimum wage anywhere in the country. It needs to be adjusted to reflect the times. 

• thanks 1

Pop-a-911-ster 38,687

Minimum wage leads to higher unemployment because you increase the cost of labour.

Minimum wage leads to higher inflation, hence cost of living. This is because there is nothing stopping firms from passing on the cost to consumers. 

Minimum wage is also a difficult policy to get right. It is hard to calculate what is a market-efficient minimum wage to offset exploitations.

Pop-a-911-ster 38,687
2 minutes ago, HeavyMetalLover said:

The cost of living grows exponentially every year while minimum wage stays the same. Raising it is the first step towards a longterm solution.

A (higher) minimum wage drives inflation even higher. This will have a cyclical effect.

Community Leader 2,817
1 minute ago, ... said:

Minimum wage leads to higher unemployment because you increase the cost of labour.

Minimum wage leads to higher inflation, hence cost of living. This is because there is nothing stopping firms from passing on the cost to consumers. 

Minimum wage is also a difficult policy to get right. It is hard to calculate what is a market-efficient minimum wage to offset exploitations.

It's actually pretty easy to calculate, especially if you mandate on a state-by-state level. You need to look at average census data at each household, find the average minimum, then look at average rent prices and food prices for families that size and average it out that way. It involves a basic, sociological study. 

Additionally, do we know that the rate of unemployment goes up because of companies laying people off, or are they raised by number of people in jobs? If it's the latter, then we can't determine if it's because companies lay employees off OR it's because less people have to work two jobs. If people are working two jobs now and getting by, they could only be working one and be getting by with a higher min wage. 

Pop-a-911-ster 38,687
Just now, blankpaper said:

“Minimum wage leads to higher unemployment” :dead: so people should work for pennies just for the sake of working apparently 

It’s Econ 101. Demand and supply.