Is anyone watching The Haunting of Bly Manor?

Tsunade

I enjoyed it at first, especially the characters of Hannah Grove, Owen and Peter Quint. However, as gorgeous as she is the actress playing Dani cannot act to save her life. I was cringing so hard that I couldn't make it past the 5th episode. I also felt the pace was too slow compared to its predecessor. 

• paws up 1

Popster to Popster 3,889

I'm about to start ep 4. from what I've read, it picks up with ep 5 but it also is very random with it's pacing/story lines.

This is why I try to just watch a show and not look at friends reviews before watching :bradley:

I love Bly Manor but it definitely doesn't feel as good/addicting as Hill house. I still say Hill House had some incredibly well written characters with some great chemistry that feels unmatched. The kids in Bly Manor are great, but I still can't get over how perfect the child/adult actors matched in Hill House, it was almost eerie. If anything, Bly Manor makes me want to rewatch Hill house.

I'm still excited to finish the show though and see if/where s3 could take us if it happens.

• paws up 1

17 hours ago, lavenderblondee said:

I'm about to start ep 4. from what I've read, it picks up with ep 5 but it also is very random with it's pacing/story lines.

This is why I try to just watch a show and not look at friends reviews before watching :bradley:

I love Bly Manor but it definitely doesn't feel as good/addicting as Hill house. I still say Hill House had some incredibly well written characters with some great chemistry that feels unmatched. The kids in Bly Manor are great, but I still can't get over how perfect the child/adult actors matched in Hill House, it was almost eerie. If anything, Bly Manor makes me want to rewatch Hill house.

I'm still excited to finish the show though and see if/where s3 could take us if it happens.

I think Hannah Grove's character is the saving grace of the show, I loved her episode and her acting in general is what brings it together (alongside the kid Miles, and their mother). Everything else feels a little bit too try hard.

12 hours ago, CurvaceousLimericker said:

I was gonna watch it, but... ngl, I didn't like haunting of hill house... and if this is worse, gurl :dragon:

I agree that as well written and performed Hill House was it wasn't all that in terms of horror (to me at least), but this one became quite unbearable past the fifth episode.

11 hours ago, Hew said:

I haven't heard of this? I wonder if it's available on Australian Netflix or stan. Is it any good? Might look into it 🙏

Not as good as The Haunting of Hill House, the original, so if you're interested I would recommend watching that one first.

• thanks 1

The Popster 94
4 hours ago, Leolisa said:

I agree that as well written and performed Hill House was it wasn't all that in terms of horror (to me at least), but this one became quite unbearable past the fifth episode.

Welp, I cave in and am on Ep2 rn, so we'll see - I don't hate it so far... I like Victoria Pedretti so there isn't really anything to annoy me in terms of performances, and I don't mind the children - they're actually nice which is a breath of fresh air considering so often they'll be straight up annoying in these kinds of films/series... 

33 minutes ago, CurvaceousLimericker said:

Welp, I cave in and am on Ep2 rn, so we'll see - I don't hate it so far... I like Victoria Pedretti so there isn't really anything to annoy me in terms of performances, and I don't mind the children - they're actually nice which is a breath of fresh air considering so often they'll be straight up annoying in these kinds of films/series... 

Lemme know how it goes for you, I'm trying to force myself to finish it because I'm curious how it ends.

Edited by Leolisa

Popster This Way 821

I'm on episode 3 and very disappointed with it. It's lost a lot of the charm it had with the first season, not even remotely scary, and the storyline is taking far too long to keep me engaged. I'll still watch it all, but 3 episodes in and I'm underwhelmed. 

I also don't grasp why the main character and the children talk and behave that way. The main actress has been in a ton of other stuff and can act her a** off, but the mannerisms and dialogue, and delivery of them, are way unrealistic. 

• paws up 2

Popster This Way 769
12 minutes ago, Doot said:

I'm on episode 3 and very disappointed with it. It's lost a lot of the charm it had with the first season, not even remotely scary, and the storyline is taking far too long to keep me engaged. I'll still watch it all, but 3 episodes in and I'm underwhelmed. 

I also don't grasp why the main character and the children talk and behave that way. The main actress has been in a ton of other stuff and can act her a** off, but the mannerisms and dialogue, and delivery of them, are way unrealistic. 

the children being weird is explained later on :bradley: but the young boy is a solid actor :bradley:

i think Dani is just meant to be a dorky awkward american :bradley:

Popster This Way 821
14 minutes ago, ryanripley said:

the children being weird is explained later on :bradley: but the young boy is a solid actor :bradley:

i think Dani is just meant to be a dorky awkward american :bradley:

Does it at least get scary? 

Every damn episode of the first season was terrifying, and I've been waiting for something to happen for three episodes now and nada. 

Popster to Popster 3,889
43 minutes ago, Doot said:

That's what got me.  Granted, I'm also only mid way through ep 3 but I had a MOMENT in ep 1 when you first saw the "mirror guy" and it was SO RANDOM. It didn't feel like a jump scare, it was so random, no music change, and it was SO PERFECT. I jumped in a good way. I had high hopes, but then...after that, nothing has happened at all. You still see ~mirror guy, but it doesn't scare you like it did on the first appearance. 

Hill House was not only consistently terrifying, but felt like a true binge. You couldn't stop watching. I've struggled to watch episode to episode and I'm still only on episode 3. I really don't relate to the characters like I did in Hill House. I hope this changes.

Edited by lavenderblondee

Popster This Way 821
16 minutes ago, lavenderblondee said:

That's what got me.  Granted, I'm also only mid way through ep 3 but I had a MOMENT in ep 1 when you first saw the "mirror guy" and it was SO RANDOM. It didn't feel like a jump scare, it was so random, no music change, and it was SO PERFECT. I jumped in a good way. I had high hopes, but then...after that, nothing has happened at all. You still see ~mirror guy, but it doesn't scare you like it did on the first appearance. 

Hill House was not only consistently terrifying, but felt like a true binge. You couldn't stop watching. I've struggled to watch episode to episode and I'm still only on episode 3. I really don't relate to the characters like I did in Hill House. I hope this changes.

Yeah when we first saw the mirror guy in the bus reflection, was like "What the hell was that?!". 

And now we are three episodes in and they just keep doing it and I'm bored. 

• thanks 1

Popster to Popster 3,889
6 minutes ago, Doot said:

Yeah when we first saw the mirror guy in the bus reflection, was like "What the hell was that?!". 

And now we are three episodes in and they just keep doing it and I'm bored. 

What first surprised me was Bly Manor is it's own thing on Netflix, it's not under Hill House. I expected it to be like AHS and sort of be an anthology all under one. Nope.

Regardless of it being a "new show" it still doesn't feel half as scary and from what I've seen, it doesn't get scarier. Yes, it's still creepy, but...man, Hill House was so good. Bent Neck Lady (and the revelation) still gets me, not even including all the other things. 

Not really replying to what you said but just in generally, the kids in Hill House were so exceptionally good. The kids in Bly Manor are great too, but in Hill House, they felt born to play the child characters of the adult actors. Besides This Is Us, I can't think of another show that had children/adult actors play so seamlessly well together.

Edited by lavenderblondee

Popster This Way 821
1 hour ago, lavenderblondee said:

What first surprised me was Bly Manor is it's own thing on Netflix, it's not under Hill House. I expected it to be like AHS and sort of be an anthology all under one. Nope.

Regardless of it being a "new show" it still doesn't feel half as scary and from what I've seen, it doesn't get scarier. Yes, it's still creepy, but...man, Hill House was so good. Bent Neck Lady (and the revelation) still gets me, not even including all the other things. 

Not really replying to what you said but just in generally, the kids in Hill House were so exceptionally good. The kids in Bly Manor are great too, but in Hill House, they felt born to play the child characters of the adult actors. Besides This Is Us, I can't think of another show that had children/adult actors play so seamlessly well together.

Omg don't even get me started on how much I stan This Is Us. 

• yaas, gaga 1

3 hours ago, Doot said:

Okay so I just finished watching it, the last two episodes were great. They make up for the entire show (except that fantastic episode centered around Hannah, you'll see). I think a big problem with the show is the pacing. I could tolerate some of the bad acting and cheesiness if it wasn't so slow, many scenes were dragging on and it made you lose interest in the show. To answer your questions in other posts, it does get creepier towards the end but I wouldn't say horror film scary. A bit unsettling though, yes.

With that being said, to anyone who finished watching...SPOILER ALERT:

Spoiler

I am so sad that Hannah had to die, really broke my heart. She really deserved better, especially with daddy Owen. The actor that plays Miles was so good, I ended up hating him more than Peter Quint even though his selfish a** was the source.

Speaking of Peter, I think in general his arc with Rebecca wasn't tied up neatly towards the end. I mean yeah, we got the backstory but they just vanish after their little plot to live on through the children's bodies (which by the way, EW, what was he thinking telling his lover to transfer into siblings, kids of all things).

Overall good show, I love Hannah and Owen the most. 8/10 for a good story, if only the pacing and actual script was better.

• thanks 1