Judas, the Crown Jewel of BTW Era

Dean Judaster

Chartsters often cite Judas as the reason the BTW era started tanking commercially. But this song and the music video are so masterful and very Gaga. Lyrically, the bridge has all of Gaga's self-mythological references, "fame hooker, prostitute wench, vomits her mind" and her quirks "wear ear condom next time". Gaga's looks in the video? She repped the Catholic-themed Met gala before it was even a thing. The virgin mary-inspired look? Immaculate. The biker leather aesthetic? f-ing beautiful.

59962a92a8dd682f2a1a4a4cc9956633.jpgf804a50958838cb4224b8a02aa3cb2a2.jpg

And yes, maybe it sold less and wasn't played by radio a lot, but damn does it collect good recurrent streams 10 years after (most watched MV of the era on YT; almost 400M), and 2nd most streamed track (daily streams), and 3rd most streamed (total) on Spotify for the past few months. It's not a huge Gaga hit, but anyone that hears it knows it's from Gaga. It is the one and only Bad Romance 2.0

Stream

• yaas, gaga 1
  • love 6

Deactivated 14,311
On 12/15/2021 at 1:13 PM, Dean of Clownmatica said:

Chartsters often cite Judas as the reason the BTW era started tanking commercially. But this song and the music video are so masterful and very Gaga. Lyrically, the bridge has all of Gaga's self-mythological references, "fame hooker, prostitute wench, vomits her mind" and her quirks "wear ear condom next time". Gaga's looks in the video? She repped the Catholic-themed Met gala before it was even a thing. The virgin mary-inspired look? Immaculate. The biker leather aesthetic? f-ing beautiful.

59962a92a8dd682f2a1a4a4cc9956633.jpgf804a50958838cb4224b8a02aa3cb2a2.jpg

And yes, maybe it sold less and wasn't played by radio a lot, but damn does it collect good recurrent streams 10 years after (most watched MV of the era on YT; almost 400M), and 2nd most streamed track (daily streams), and 3rd most streamed (total) on Spotify for the past few months. It's not a huge Gaga hit, but anyone that hears it knows it's from Gaga. It is the one and only Bad Romance 2.0

Stream

NOT me reading the first word as Christians... nnnn

• lol 5

On 12/14/2021 at 9:47 PM, Lorde Von Kok said:

she shooked the industry. judas didn't tanked BTW era, it crystallized it.

it made it how legendary it would become, and that's on period.

ezgif.com-gif-maker-35edb4f80cc78701e.gif 

On 12/14/2021 at 9:52 PM, Bakugo said:

Top 10 Single You Better Believe it. 

HAVING THE CATHOLIC CHURCH SHOOK! YOU KNOWS THATS WHATS UP! 

ICONIC SONG AND VIDEO. WE STAN JUDAS!

I better see Judas still having the 2nd best recurrent Spotify streams on BTW when @Carre updates

lady gaga video GIF

• yaas, gaga 1
  • love 2

On 12/15/2021 at 1:28 AM, Delusional said:

What if it was BTW lead? 

spacer.png

Some critics said it should have been the lead but Gaga was putting the message of the album first and foremost, which is more important. 

• yaas, gaga 1
  • love 1

So, I think Judas has commercially damaged the BTW era but only because It was released on Easter not for any other reason. If Born This Way had been the lead and The Edge of Glory the second single the era would have been commercially huge so Marry the Night ( with a radio edit)  as the third single along with the album. Scheisse with a radio version would have been the last single. Finally Yoü and I would be single in the USA & UK, in the rest of the world Judas. It would have easily been:

# 1 BTW

# 1 EOG

# 1MTN

# 2 Scheisse

# 3 Yoü and I

# 10 Judas (debut week only)

On 12/15/2021 at 7:41 AM, ReadyGaga said:

the second single the era would have been commercially huge so Marry the Night ( with a radio edit)  as the third single along with the album

I love Marry the Night, but over the years I've had to admit is simply is GP poison. My family are stan-adjacent because of me but somehow they can never like MTN and always ask me to skip. So that's anecdotal I know, but if MTN was going to connect, it should be seen in the recurrents. Not only is it the album opener (already a great benefit), it was also playlisted in All Out 10s for BTW's 10th anniversary and it's still struggling to hit 100M. I'm almost worried not even the stans are streaming it.

On 12/15/2021 at 2:31 PM, Dean of Clownmatica said:

I love Marry the Night, but over the years I've had to admit is simply is GP poison. My family are stan-adjacent because of me but somehow they can never like MTN and always ask me to skip. So that's anecdotal I know, but if MTN was going to connect, it should be seen in the recurrents. Not only is it the album opener (already a great benefit), it was also playlisted in All Out 10s for BTW's 10th anniversary and it's still struggling to hit 100M. I'm almost worried not even the stans are streaming it.

Unfortunately I have to agree with you, I entered it as a single because it is very important for Gaga but maybe it would be better HML or Judas directly:sad:

• hugs 1

On 12/15/2021 at 8:54 AM, ReadyGaga said:

Unfortunately I have to agree with you, I entered it as a single because it is very important for Gaga but maybe it would be better HML or Judas directly:sad:

It is a shame, I love the mellow beginning then the slow build up of synth-rock elements and the breakdown is immaculate. Lyrically it is very empowering too but I really don't know why it won't click for casual fans and the GP

• 1 year later...
On 12/17/2022 at 11:52 AM, Bojana said:

Judas is that bi**h! Lemme bring up this underrated performance of it in Cannes (that gets taken down every few months)

I haven't seen this! Let me watch :giveup:

On 12/17/2022 at 5:35 PM, Bojana said:

she did the whole MET gala catholic theme years before they even thought of it! Truly ahead of her time

Yes! BTW era rockstar meets Catholic girl aesthetic is her best, and Judas has all of it. And the choreography is just so >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
music video mv GIF by Lady Gaga

I'm lowkey sad BM is overshadowing Judas' growth but at the very least Judas has improved its daily streams by a LOT.

Because it bears repeating: Judas surpassed Telephone and is now Gaga's 7th most watched video on YouTube

I'm glad Judas is coming into its own somewhat after being dismissed by many as a Bad Romance knock-off oie-transparent-11.png