Ringer | Failed CW Return of Sarah Michelle Gellar (needs some love)

chartgaga

A Popster Is Born 10,029

Do you guys remember "Ringer", the 1 season drama that brought back Sarah Michelle Gellar to our televisions that got cancelled too quickly by The CW?

tumblr_lsl32mxJF31qar6tno1_r1_500.gif

Synopsis:

Bridget Kelly (Sarah Michelle Gellar) is a recovering drug addict and stripper in Wyoming. She is under the protection of FBI Agent Victor Machado (Nestor Carbonell), having agreed to testify against her employer, local crime boss Bodaway Macawi (Zahn McClarnon), whom she witnessed committing murder. Fearing that Macawi, who has already murdered several witnesses linking him to previous crimes, will also kill her, Bridget flees to New York to meet her estranged twin sister Siobhan (also played by Gellar).

Soon after Bridget's arrival in New York, Siobhan, who had kept her sister's existence secret from her family, appears to commit suicide by jumping into the ocean. Bridget then assumes Siobhan's identity and tries to fit in among Siobhan's wealthy social circle, including Siobhan's husband Andrew (Ioan Gruffudd), stepdaughter Juliet (Zoey Deutch), best friend Gemma (Tara Summers), and Gemma's husband Henry (Kristoffer Polaha) with whom Siobhan had been having an affair. The only one who knows that Bridget is passing as Siobhan is Bridget's Narcotics Anonymous sponsor Malcolm (Mike Colter). Bridget's life becomes more complicated as she discovers that her sister was hiding secrets of her own and that someone is trying to kill Siobhan as well.

Quick facts:

- The show was originally developed for CBS before being passed on and picked up by The CW in 2011.

- Campaign was kinda massive and everyone was hyped to see Sarah Michelle Gellar back on our TV Screens, 8 years after the end of Buffy.

- It premiered to 2.84M viewers (1.2 in 18-49 rating) and did pretty good for its first half season. After leaving the air on November 29th, 2011 to 1.6M viewers (0.6), the show's early January return was delayed to January 31, 2012 due to some new reality show that bombed. The return was made to 1.4M viewers (0.6) a series low and since then the show tumbled and lost its audience falling as low as 1.05M (0,4) for its 20th episode. It concluded with 1.2M (0.5) on April 17th, 2012 and later was cancelled in mid-May.

- When the show got cancelled due to low ratings, CW president did say he felt the show didn't reach the highs they thought it would in terms of target audiences and felt the show could have beneffited from a short season order instead of the classic 22-episode seasons, saying stuff got too complicated in mid season and admitting they also shouldn't have had delayed the return which made casual viewers drop it out.

- Following the cancellation, a lot of fans started campaigns to see the show renewed and even were able to promote through billboards in Los Angeles. Sarah Michelle Gellar did earn a Teen Choice Award nomination for her role that summer and was offered to work with the network again in the future (which never happened).

- Overall the season was watched by 1.45M and a 0.5 rating in L+SD ratings (jumping to 1.82M and a 0.79 in 18-49 target rating points with DVR) while getting mixed to positive reviews on release. In retrospect, Collider pointed out how the show was too ahead of its time.

https://collider.com/how-ringer-tv-series-was-ahead-of-its-time/

Did you watch Ringer? What did you think of it? What were your hopes for a second season?

Edited by chartgaga

A Popster Is Born 10,029
On 12/19/2022 at 7:27 PM, Dean Spookchester said:

I remember this because Misha Collins was in it and I wanted SMG so badly to cameo on Supernatural 

Sarah was asked to guest star on The Vampire Diaries, that I remember of and she declined cause she didn't want to appear in another vampire series

a cameo on Supernatural would have been good for her

• paws up 1

On 12/19/2022 at 2:49 PM, chartgaga said:

Sarah was asked to guest star on The Vampire Diaries, that I remember of and she declined cause she didn't want to appear in another vampire series

a cameo on Supernatural would have been good for her

Riiiight?? She cameod on TBBT finale and she was explicitly called Buffy there. I was so salty. Anyway, I'm happy she's back acting.

A Popster Is Born 10,029
On 12/19/2022 at 9:34 PM, Dean Spookchester said:

Riiiight?? She cameod on TBBT finale and she was explicitly called Buffy there. I was so salty. Anyway, I'm happy she's back acting.

I mean she was long overdue in TBBT after many years of saying how much they loved Buffy, so it was a nice surprise

I kinda wanted her to join "Mom"'s final season or sth, she was great in The Crazy Ones, also let's be real a Buffy reunion on How I Met Your Mother would have made the world shook

• paws up 1

Kindness Admin 6,892

As hard as I Stan Buffy and SMG, I couldn't bring myself to try and watch a single episode of this show. Honestly, now that I think about it, I'm not sure I've seen her in ANYTHING since Buffy. Mess :cupcake:

A Popster Is Born 10,029
On 12/20/2022 at 6:57 PM, admin said:

As hard as I Stan Buffy and SMG, I couldn't bring myself to try and watch a single episode of this show. Honestly, now that I think about it, I'm not sure I've seen her in ANYTHING since Buffy. Mess :cupcake:

she was good in it, tho she seemed out of it by the end of the season and never spoke of its cancellation so I guess she was relieved not to play twins anymore

she appeared in movies (The Grudge, Scooby-Do from the most known ones after Buffy) while starring in some gems imo (Veronika Decides to Die, The Air I Breathe) and some cute movie (Suburban Girl)

on TV, Ringer was fine overall and The Crazy Ones was great, she is now coming back with Wolf Pack on Paramount+ and she appeared on Do Revenge on Netflix

• paws up 1