Upbeat songs with a darker meaning

Gone

Deactivated 14,311

What’s your favourite song of this category?

Mine is:

The hidden darker meaning: It’s about everyone wanting power and warfare and the misery it causes. 

• yaas, gaga 2

ARTPOPster 2,173
Spoiler

This song I made sound more upbeat to make sure that I could get through the song myself, but the meaning has to do with my uncle who was put in jail for s*xually abusing his stepdaughter for 8 years straight. My dad texted me about it one day when I got home from school and I couldn’t even comprehend the whole thing, a few weeks before I wrote a chorus for a song called Pictures and realized I had once again, cause I just did this again recently as well, some songs I write that tells a certain story actually ends up happing in real life, and Pictures was one of the first to do this. So I wrote the rest of the song based on this and it’s a really hard song to get through I said before, but I made it upbeat so it’s easier to get through

• paws up 2

Popster to Popster 3,752

Some of mine

Spoiler

a lot of MIA's songs fall into this category, but this is about a factory worker getting killed by the government for associating with Muslims

Spoiler

goes without saying

Spoiler

about a conversation between a woman and her husband who has passed away

Spoiler

about consumerism & capitalism and specifically our complacency with it in the western world

Spoiler

also a lot by The Shins, but this one is about the existential dread of living to work and feeling caged, etc.

Spoiler

about running into an ex-girlfriend and finding out she has gotten addicted to drugs

Spoiler

I think this was about Jack Antonoff having PTSD due to his younger sister's death to pediatric cancer and his cousin death in the Iraq war

Spoiler

it's not that dark thematically, but "Valerie" was actually a girl who had been arrested for drunk driving

• paws up 1

ARTPOPster 2,450
Spoiler

It’s about being depressed/mentally ill and not knowing why or what to do and telling someone they should just find someone who’s easier to be with 

Spoiler

It’s about feeling empty and like a shell of who you used to be, and missing how things were easier/better when you were younger

someone described this song as “nobody does depression on the beach like Chet Porter”