Disney+ passes 100M paying subscribers

BenG

Pop-a-911-ster 38,812

Disney+ has now surpassed 100 million global paid subscribers. It was launched in November 2019, which means it crosses this milestone in just 16 months.

The initial goal was to reach 60 to 90 million paying subscribers by 2024 but the streaming platform smashed that goal when it reached 73.7 million paying subscribers on its first anniversary. This growth was partially driven by the COVID-19 pandemic. It now expects to hit 230 to 260 million paying subscribers by 2024.

For comparison, Netflix had 203.7 million paying subscribers by the end of 2020. Apple does not release subscriber numbers for Apple TV+ but it is believed to be eclipsed by both Disney+ and Netflix, given that they continue to extend free trials for new subscribers.

https://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-tops-100-million-global-paid-subscriber-milestone/

• paws up 2

Popster to Popster 4,583

I don't like Disney as a company very much but they have by far the most content for me.  Between 1 good season of the Mandalorian, WandaVision, The Muppet Show, The Imagineering Story, Magic of Disney's Animal Kingdom, Disney's Fairytale Weddings (yes I have a problem 🔪), The Clone Wars and all the Nat Geo docs that are coming up it's basically the only platform I need these days.

• yaas, gaga 1

Pop-a-911-ster 38,812
Just now, WildAmerican said:

Disney should buy Apple, apple's the one with a flop streaming service lol 

chile not with that market cap :icant:

Disney at one point was literally chump change for Apple. They could have bought Disney using 100% cash back then. :icant:

• lol 2

Popster to Popster 4,420
4 minutes ago, BenG said:

chile not with that market cap :icant:

Disney at one point was literally chump change for Apple. They could have bought Disney using 100% cash back then. :icant:

ahh I guess you're right

Disney had ha flop era last year, but she'll come back once theme parks and movie theaters are at capacity again. Disney is a horrible pandemic company (bc most of its income is theme parks and movie theaters), while Apple is an amazing pandemic company so it stands to reason that Apple would thrive while everyone's at home.

Edited by WildAmerican
  • paws up 1

Pop-a-911-ster 38,812

I think Apple decided to create original content instead of buying companies for their catalogue to avoid more anti-competition issues.

Moderator 3,690

Thank you Baby Yoda and Wandavision. Disney was always going to perform well on streaming as their back catalogue is massive and they constantly keep releasing films so there was never going to be the problem of too little content. Also considering how miss Rona boosted the at home streaming, Disney lucked out that they got on the market at 2019.

This coupled with the fact that "The Mandalorian" and Baby Yoda became a cultural moment and now WandaVision is the show that everybody keeps talking about really gave them an extreme boost.

• paws up 1

Moderator 6,288
43 minutes ago, lavenderblondee said:

They can go ahead and choke on my coins because of failing to bring Lizzie McGuire to fruition 

tenor.gif

I was disappointed by that because I was gonna definitely subscribe. Now I’m waiting for the Proud Family reboot to sub.

• yaas, gaga 1

Deactivated 14,311
27 minutes ago, Starboy said:

Disney is overrated. I mean I can see why it would have so much appeal but their content just isn’t for me. Only thing I really like on there are the Star Wars movies and shows.

Have you seen all the new additions? 

I guess for this fan boy of Marvel and lover of Simpsons and those shows I love Disney+ the other streaming services lack it for me- besides Animelab ofcourse.