Should the images of dead children in classrooms be made public?

Nightwing

7 members have voted

1. 1. .

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Popster to Popster 3,889

Yes. I'm also all for the idea of having the funerals be open casket. It's terrible it's come to this, but what else are we going to do? Go back to normal in a few days until another mass shooting occurs?

The Fame Popster 401

Survivors and loved ones should feel welcome to share whatever they feel comfortable sharing about their experience. While I don't think it would lead to mass action, educating the public about gun violence in a visceral way is probably good.   

I read this article a number of years ago and it really stuck with me: https://highline.huffingtonpost.com/articles/en/gun-violence/ 

That said, I do find the media's appeal to parents for photos very distasteful since they are in such a vulnerable position. I'm sure the parents would do anything to feel a sense of control over the situation but we shouldn't expect all survivors of random mass violence to become anti-violence advocates overnight and we shouldn't treat activism like a therapeutic for this very unusual form of mass violence.

Personally, I would be so p*ssed if my loved one was killed and people expected me to devote my life to ending gun violence when it could never bring them back, y'know? However, if I had experienced gun violence myself, I would probably want to talk about my experience and particularly my road to recovery. It's really so subjective! 

• thanks 1