Do you believe in basic hygiene or nah?

Gone

Deactivated 14,311
Just now, Nino said:

I almost never wash my jeans but other than that I'm not f-ing gross :ally:

People without hygiene are a drain on society :ally:

Jeans are jeans! Wash em too much they erode! 

also- right?

• paws up 1

The Fame Popster 305
28 minutes ago, Nino said:

I almost never wash my jeans but other than that I'm not f-ing gross :ally:

People without hygiene are a drain on society :ally:

It depends on the person to be honest. If someone is unhygienic, then it’s likely that they are extremely depressed and don’t think they’re worthy of the most basic things. A lot of depressed people have matted hair and are too unmotivated to complete tasks. 

• paws up 2
  • thanks 2

Popster to Popster 3,889

I admit I'm bad at washing my bed sheets as often as I should. I wash my pillow cases frequently, bed sheets, not as often.  Fitted sheets are my ENEMY. 

I have really tight teeth and sensitive gums because of it, so I HAVE to brush my teeth twice a day/mouth wash twice a day. I should floss more though.

• paws up 2

Community Leader 2,817

Everyone believes in it, but someone’s ability to actually perform these tasks on a regular basis is the big problem. As someone with severe ADHD, I will often forget to brush my teeth days at a time. I’ll forget to wash clothes so then it’s been 6 weeks and I’m out of clean underwear, then I end up leaving everything in the wash for another 3 days. 

I think judging someone’s personal hygiene without understanding why it may be lacking or not up to your standards isn’t the way to talk about it. Everyone has the same basic understanding of it but the same ability to do it. 

• paws up 2
  • shook 1

Deactivated 14,311
45 minutes ago, Joannesrats said:

Everyone believes in it, but someone’s ability to actually perform these tasks on a regular basis is the big problem. As someone with severe ADHD, I will often forget to brush my teeth days at a time. I’ll forget to wash clothes so then it’s been 6 weeks and I’m out of clean underwear, then I end up leaving everything in the wash for another 3 days. 

I think judging someone’s personal hygiene without understanding why it may be lacking or not up to your standards isn’t the way to talk about it. Everyone has the same basic understanding of it but the same ability to do it. 

No judgment but brushing your teeth is important and so is hygiene. If you don’t have a condition or reason that prevents you then I can’t see a reason why you can’t. We all co-exist in this society. I didn’t know asking a question is seen as judging people.

Deactivated 14,311
50 minutes ago, Joannesrats said:

And I am sorry about your ADHD, have you tried setting up reminders and stuff? Or does this not work?

Edited by Bakugo

Deactivated 14,311
1 hour ago, lavenderblondee said:

I admit I'm bad at washing my bed sheets as often as I should. I wash my pillow cases frequently, bed sheets, not as often.  Fitted sheets are my ENEMY. 

I have really tight teeth and sensitive gums because of it, so I HAVE to brush my teeth twice a day/mouth wash twice a day. I should floss more though.

Same! I need to floss more. I have gone a couple days max without a shower shower. Like I rinse and quick wash but I can’t handle unclean clothing or bedding etc. the things that prevent me from living haha

• paws up 1

Deactivated 14,311
1 hour ago, Hejira said:

It depends on the person to be honest. If someone is unhygienic, then it’s likely that they are extremely depressed and don’t think they’re worthy of the most basic things. A lot of depressed people have matted hair and are too unmotivated to complete tasks. 

I don’t think anyone here would disregard or disrespect anyone with a condition. We are talking able bodied people. If you can’t undertake basic hygiene there isn’t much else to say in those circumstances. 

The Fame Popster 451
1 hour ago, Hejira said:

1 hour ago, Joannesrats said:

People who suffer from extreme physical illness or disability might have similar issues. Why not mention them? I suffer from mental illness and have had lapses in personal hygiene at my worst, but you wouldn't catch me making excuses for it or getting offended by the assertion that humans need to clean themselves. That's why those times are when I was at my worst. Even other animals clean themselves regularly. :ally: 

Community Leader 2,817
25 minutes ago, Bakugo said:

No judgment but brushing your teeth is important and so is hygiene. If you don’t have a condition or reason that prevents you then I can’t see a reason why you can’t. We all co-exist in this society. I didn’t know asking a question is seen as judging people.

22 minutes ago, Bakugo said:

And I am sorry about your ADHD, have you tried setting up reminders and stuff? Or does this not work?

Well ADHD is a condition that affects your ability to do things, it’s called executive dysfunction. It quite literally does prevent you from doing things you need to do. Also, the reminders and stuff work to a certain extent but they rarely do. It’s a problem for almost ADHD people that they don’t work. And yes, I am aware that it’s important. 

Mental illnesses and conditions can have extreme physical manifestations and they’re different for each person. Someone may have issues taking a shower, some have issues with brushing teeth. Telling someone to use reminders, while attempting to be helpful, can be considered as patronizing or infantilizing someone. Of course we’ve tried reminders, sticky notes, etc. - it’s that our brains legitimately will not allow us to get up and do something. It isn’t as simple as we want it to be. 

• paws up 1
  • thanks 1

Community Leader 2,817
11 minutes ago, Nino said:

People who suffer from extreme physical illness or disability might have similar issues. Why not mention them? I suffer from mental illness and have had lapses in personal hygiene at my worst, but you wouldn't catch me making excuses for it or getting offended by the assertion that humans need to clean themselves. That's why those times are when I was at my worst. Even other animals clean themselves regularly. :ally: 

I wasn’t offended? I was saying that you shouldn’t judge someone’s life and what they’re able to do without understanding what may be stopping them from doing it. I never said it was okay or acceptable to not take care of yourself. 

• paws up 1

Deactivated 14,311
1 minute ago, Joannesrats said:

Well ADHD is a condition that affects your ability to do things, it’s called executive dysfunction. It quite literally does prevent you from doing things you need to do. Also, the reminders and stuff work to a certain extent but they rarely do. It’s a problem for almost ADHD people that they don’t work. And yes, I am aware that it’s important. 

Mental illnesses and conditions can have extreme physical manifestations and they’re different for each person. Someone may have issues taking a shower, some have issues with brushing teeth. Telling someone to use reminders, while attempting to be helpful, can be considered as patronizing or infantilizing someone. Of course we’ve tried reminders, sticky notes, etc. - it’s that our brains legitimately will not allow us to get up and do something. It isn’t as simple as we want it to be. 

Knowing my tone helps, it was out of concern not out of being a patronising person. I feel awful that this condition is that debilitating.  

• paws up 2

The Fame Popster 451
31 minutes ago, Joannesrats said:

I wasn’t offended? I was saying that you shouldn’t judge someone’s life and what they’re able to do without understanding what may be stopping them from doing it. I never said it was okay or acceptable to not take care of yourself. 

I never said you were offended. Just that you wouldn’t ever catch me getting offended or making excuses because I’m not a degenerate. I don’t speak for you or anybody else. I only speak for myself and have only done so this whole time. :ally:

Edited by Nino
  • paws up 1

Moderator 6,288

I don’t do my laundry weekly and change my bedsheets every week or earlier depending on the activity that takes place there. :awkney: I brush my teeth twice everyday but if I’m at work then I’ll do it three times because I brush after my lunch break. And I shower/bathe twice a day. I’m a bit of a germophobe so I’m super careful when it comes to hygiene. 

I’d say we all believe in basic hygiene as it’s something we’re thought as we grow up. The question is if we practice it.

Edited by SLAG
  • paws up 2

Community Leader 2,817
2 hours ago, Nino said:

I never said you were offended. Just that you wouldn’t ever catch me getting offended or making excuses because I’m not a degenerate. I don’t speak for you or anybody else. I only speak for myself and have only done so this whole time. :ally:

Are you implying that i’m a degenerate for not having the best hygiene?