Nicola Formichetti talks Lady Gaga and Chromatica on Instagram

Dirkje

Popster to Popster 4,583
On 12/30/2020 at 7:07 PM, Joannesrats said:

I know it’s your opinion and you have a right to be upset and annoyed, but the language used was very harsh and not very productive. We’re trying to create a forum of kindness and rightful criticism, not being dismissive and rude because you’re upset, which is what you’ve done. 

Just my thoughts, though. 

I understand the intention behind what you're saying but by this point in her career her team should know better.  When they do this stuff it whips people into a frenzy and stokes some of the worst toxicity in this fan base.  From the people desperate for clout to people that are having a rough year and looking for any lightness/fun.  When they continue to tease stuff with no payoff it only turns the fan base in on itself and against them and it's not a new phenomenon.  It also feels a little like they're trying to get quick and easy engagement playing off of the predictable response from fans.

So when I say they need to do something or shut up, it's because the whole thing feels like good intentions without any care of the consequences. Don't toy with people's emotions, especially when there's a deep history of them doing this for the better part of a decade.

And like yeah "it's not that serious" or whatever but when they constantly drone about kindness and then take deliberate actions that bring out the worst, it undermines their whole message.

Would it be better if the stan internet wasn't so volitile and they could have more fun? Sure, but that isn't reality and not only should they know better, they have demonstrated that they DO know better.  You only need to look at the way Gaga herself has receded into the background on social media to see that.

Shadiness is intrinsic to modern queer culture and places like this, and it's much better for people to be able to let out that frustration in shared community spaces like this than directly at people.  Policing people's tone like this when they aren't being actively hostile or threatening violence feels like a step beyond to me and detrimental.

This concludes my over long TEDx talk, thank you 

thank you thank you applause GIF by Warner Archive

Edited by NotDoctor
  • paws up 1
  • thanks 1

10 hours ago, NotDoctor said:

I understand the intention behind what you're saying but by this point in her career her team should know better.  When they do this stuff it whips people into a frenzy and stokes some of the worst toxicity in this fan base.  From the people desperate for clout to people that are having a rough year and looking for any lightness/fun.  When they continue to tease stuff with no payoff it only turns the fan base in on itself and against them and it's not a new phenomenon.  It also feels a little like they're trying to get quick and easy engagement playing off of the predictable response from fans.

So when I say they need to do something or shut up, it's because the whole thing feels like good intentions without any care of the consequences. Don't toy with people's emotions, especially when there's a deep history of them doing this for the better part of a decade.

And like yeah "it's not that serious" or whatever but when they constantly drone about kindness and then take deliberate actions that bring out the worst, it undermines their whole message.

Would it be better if the stan internet wasn't so volitile and they could have more fun? Sure, but that isn't reality and not only should they know better, they have demonstrated that they DO know better.  You only need to look at the way Gaga herself has receded into the background on social media to see that.

Shadiness is intrinsic to modern queer culture and places like this and it's much better for people to be able to let out that frustration in shared community spaces like this than directly at people.  Policing people's tone like this when they aren't being actively hostile or threatening violence feels like a step beyond to me and detrimental.

This concludes my over long TEDx talk, thank you 

thank you thank you applause GIF by Warner Archive

Well DAMN sis you went off. Well said - especially your last paragraph. Happy fücking New Year!

• yaas, gaga 1