Why are YouTube Kids videos so creepy?

Lorde Von Kok

Gaming Leader 8,440

71a6a01f71b069b0cd7e35094cfe865e.thumb.jpg.b63df1d30656443f2ba7cfb04aebae85.jpg Okay, so ... 71a6a01f71b069b0cd7e35094cfe865e.thumb.jpg.b63df1d30656443f2ba7cfb04aebae85.jpg

I've always knew about this, but been afraid to talk about it since I thought people were either going to say I'm crazy or dumb, but here goes nothing.

There is this huge side of YouTube filled with videos for kids. Now, these billions of videos each have hundreds of millions of views each, and a huge ratio of dislikes (?). They are loud, colorful, bold and appealing to the youth's eye. Maybe it's because I'm a grown man, but these videos always creeped me the f**k out. It's like there's something strange and odd about them that always makes me cringe and not being able to watch more than 15 seconds.

The main arguments here are:

"Okay Lorde, but you are an adult. This isn't made for you."

I know that for a fact, but still. Kids shows that are actually great are the ones who can even be entertaining to adults. Look at the Disney movies; they are a lot of movies that, as adults, we enjoyed too. I know these videos are made to be released fast, but the final result always seems to showcased the lack of quality and thought put into it I feel.

"Okay Von Kok miss gurl, but we had those same animated kids shows on the TV during our youth. This generation's, it's on YouTube."

They are not the same. I don't know what happened or what changed (our shows weren't in 1080 HD :icant:) but they do feel different, our animated kids shows and the new ones. Futhermore, I'm talking more about the "real-life" kids videos, and what I mean by that are the video with real humans playing kids or acting dumb for kids. Those are the even creepier ones (at least for me).

"b*ch, stop the crack. You are putting way too much thought into this, it's late, and you look crazy. We also had humans acting like kids on our shows?"

Again, yes ... but no. Look at these receipts.

OUR TV SHOWS

Spoiler

THEIR SHOWS + Jojo Siwa's creepy content :mess:

Spoiler

Am I the only one that is way more creeped out by the newer ones?

71a6a01f71b069b0cd7e35094cfe865e.thumb.jpg.b63df1d30656443f2ba7cfb04aebae85.jpg

Back in 2018, James Bridle picked up on it and shared his thoughts and ideas about the phenomenon, but I want to hear you guys ...

- Why so many dislikes?

- Why do they feel so creepy?

• paws up 1

Popster to Popster 3,889

I think nostalgia will always be a factor in how we view things but....YT has ruined so much. This generation is just...interesting.

The fact that kids now enjoy watching OTHER kids do things THEY should be doing...is alarming. :dead:

You can't tell me that Little Bear, Kim Possible, That's so raven, Blues Clues, etc...are worse than what kids are being fed now. These shows I somehow STILL lowkey enjoy now even when I'm babysitting kids. :mess:

I feel BAD for kids now. When they're nostalgic will they go back and watch review videos? :dead:

• thanks 2
  • lol 1

Gaming Leader 8,440
Just now, lavenderblondee said:

I think nostalgia will always be a factor in how we view things but....YT has ruined so much. This generation is just...interesting.

The fact that kids now enjoy watching OTHER kids do things THEY should be doing...is alarming. :dead:

You can't tell me that Little Bear, Kim Possible, That's so raven, Blues Clues, etc...are worse than what kids are being fed now. These shows I somehow STILL lowkey enjoy now even when I'm babysitting kids. :mess:

I feel BAD for kids now. When they're nostalgic will they go back and watch review videos? :dead:

EXACTLY!!!

Is the creepy factor "kids doing things kids want to do"? Maybe you just put the finger on it tbh!

Popster to Popster 3,752

OKAY a lot of thoughts.

I don't necessarily think the videos you posted are that egregious. The Jojo Siwa one, the nursery rhymes one, etc. I find about as weird as something like The Wiggles or LazyTown and that World of Lice thing... was it even made for kids? bc I'm more so getting "Shrek is Love, Shrek is Life" vibes from it tbh.

Now the kind, on the other hand, the kind that Lavender mentioned:

1 hour ago, lavenderblondee said:

I find these much more bizarre and unsettling. My friends' kid is obsessed with those types of videos and they weird me out big time.

• thanks 2

Gaming Leader 8,440

She looks like she's 30 :mess:

@lavenderblondee @Grasim

These are ... SO CREEPY. I feel like kids these days will be even more miserable in 10 years.

PS: The Ryan kid video has 1 billion views. :katy:

P-PS: I'm looking deeper at this for the dislike ratio question, and I found interesting responses on forums. Some of them are adults talking about their kids being 1 or 2 years old and using YouTube like a normal adult. Wtf is going on.

• paws up 1
  • shook 1

1 hour ago, Lorde Von Kok said:

She looks like she's 30 :mess:

@lavenderblondee @Grasim

These are ... SO CREEPY. I feel like kids these days will be even more miserable in 10 years.

P-PS: I'm looking deeper at this for the dislike ratio question, and I found interesting responses on forums. Some of them are adults talking about their kids being 1 or 2 years old and using YouTube like a normal adult. Wtf is going on.

I think by mistake you tagged me instead of @A Little Monsterrr

Edited by Grasim
  • lol 1

Gaming Leader 8,440

1 hour ago, Grasim said:

I think by mistake you tagged me instead of @A Little Monsterrr

1 hour ago, A Little Monsterrr said:

PLSSSS i don't watch that ryan dude and that other girl

I did swatch the tags, sorry! I tagged you because we were discussing it @A Little Monsterrr :bradley:

• paws up 1

i agree!!!!

what makes these videos even more disturbing i think is that it's almost always 3 year old kids starring in them. why i think this is strange, is because they can't exactly consent to being in the videos. their parents are the ones responsible for this, making money off of their extremely young children, who can't even completely understand what's going on. and these videos, starring toddlers, get millions or even billions of views. maybe this makes no sense but it doesnt sit right with me. 

ill probably sound like a bit of a boomer now, but im scared for the next generation. they grow up on youtube crack, and instead of doing normal 2yo activities, they watch youtube all day, which has been proven to be quite the opposite of beneficial. i wasnt allowed to go on the computer till i was 9, but these children go on a computer or phone for hours on end. like one day i was w my 3yo (at the time) cousin and she was watching these videos on the phone. when i asked her to leave the phone so we could play an actual game she started crying. it was a hot mess.

Edited by gagaschickens
  • thanks 1

Pop-a-911-ster 38,812
11 hours ago, Lorde Von Kok said:

Ryan earns $30 million a year btw :katy:

Edited by ...
  • shook 1

Pop-a-911-ster 38,812
Just now, Delusional said:

I always wonder what his parents are gonna do when he grows out of it. Is he gonna become another Logan/Jake Paul? Become a gamer? Idk :katy:

idk what I would do with a billion dollars either :katy:

Gaming Leader 8,440
5 hours ago, ... said:

Ryan earns $30 million a year btw :katy:

5 hours ago, Delusional said:

I always wonder what his parents are gonna do when he grows out of it. Is he gonna become another Logan/Jake Paul? Become a gamer? Idk :katy:

2 hours ago, RFK said:

Simple.

It's blatant child exploitation.

13 minutes ago, gagaschickens said:

^^^

this is all parents making money off of their toddlers

Even more creepy --> The parents behind it all. I'm pretty sure the kids doesn't know 100% what they are doing except "making fun videos". Their parents are getting all the coins. :katy:

• thanks 2

Gaming Leader 8,440
Just now, Delusional said:

If I were the parents I’d make sure they 100% wanted to do it, and then put all of the money in their own bank accounts and start my own “parent-esque” channel to earn money that way. Mulching off an 8 year old kid is not it 

100%, and I'm pretty sure there is people out here that are like "but they buy toys for them." :katy:

• thanks 1

Gaming Leader 8,440
3 minutes ago, ... said:

Ryan has his own line of toys. It's insane.

4 minutes ago, Delusional said:

If I were the parents I’d make sure they 100% wanted to do it, and then put all of the money in their own bank accounts and start my own “parent-esque” channel to earn money that way. Mulching off an 8 year old kid is not it 

On December 4, 2020, it was announced that Ryan's World would be launching an official game on the gaming platform Roblox.

Source :katy:

• shook 1