Thoughts on Princess Die

nynj nights

Popster to Popster 3,689

I've been thinking about Gaga's unreleased song Princess Die lately with all of the recent news around the Royal Family and ARTPOP ACT II

I think it is arguably both her darkest and saddest song, and knowing what we know now, it seems like it was a cry for help at the time. 

Having not followed Gaga's career closely during the BTW-ARTPOP eras, I'm curious to hear what others' thought of this song when you first heard she was performing it during the BTWB, and if your perception of the song has changed since? 

Here's the first performance I believe where she mentions that the song may or may not be on the next album:

• paws up 1
  • love 3

Moderator 6,288

I think it’s such a beautiful, sad song. I love how dark it is. I would’ve loved to hear what the finished version sounded like but I do listen to this fan-made regularly:

• paws up 1
  • love 1

Popster to Popster 3,689
12 minutes ago, SLAG said:

I would’ve loved to hear what the finished version sounded like but I do listen to this fan-made regularly:

Same here and I've come across that version as well. Here is another one that I like which includes the news clip about Princess Di's death:

• love 1

It's one of her most beautiful songs. It's incredibly dark and heartbreaking, Gaga only has a handful of these kinds of songs, I think it's amazing we got to see into this aspect of her. 

I'd love for it to be on ACT2, and I think it would do well in streaming. Billie Eilish is proof these kinds of songs can be huge if done well. 

Unfortunately I'm not certain we'd get it on ACT2 (If we even end up getting ACT2), due to the controversies around both the lyrics and the royal family right now. 

But I'm hoping with everything in me that it get's released :kiss:

• paws up 1

Popster to Popster 3,689
5 minutes ago, ChromaticRaccoon said:

It's one of her most beautiful songs. It's incredibly dark and heartbreaking, Gaga only has a handful of these kinds of songs, I think it's amazing we got to see into this aspect of her. 

I'd love for it to be on ACT2, and I think it would do well in streaming. Billie Eilish is proof these kinds of songs can be huge if done well. 

Unfortunately I'm not certain we'd get it on ACT2 (If we even end up getting ACT2), due to the controversies around both the lyrics and the royal family right now. 

But I'm hoping with everything in me that it get's released :kiss:

I agree. When I first heard this song it felt unfinished, and perhaps it was since technically Gaga changed certain parts of the verses throughout the shows at which she performed this song, but the more you listen, the more you realize the complexity and deeper meanings. Princess Die is really a lyric masterpiece imo

And Interesting comparison to Billie's work, but I would also agree that if we were to get ACT2, I don't think Princess Die in its current form would be included because of the specific references to Princess Diana (unless they were re-worked, which is doubtful). And unlike most other ACT2 songs, this one did have its time, so not sure if Gaga would want to re-release it. I would still "die" for a studio version though :bradley:

Popstanne 5,076

It's so gorgeous and haunting, and every performance of it that I've watched gives me goosebumps. However, I agree that she probably wouldn't release it out of consideration for William and Harry, plus she really doesn't need any more controversy. 

• paws up 1

Popster to Popster 3,792

Love this song. 

Edited by Mario44
  • love 1