I really need some advice right now please

ChromaticRaccoon

First of all I wanna apologise if this is in the wrong topic or tag, I wasn't entirely sure what to put it under. 

Okay, so I'd really appreciate some advice, because I obviously have my perspective, but outside views might help me paint a different picture, or reaffirm that I'm doing the right thing. 

I don't wanna get into all the messy details, but I don't wanna live at home anymore. Mind you, I'm a grown adult (20), and am fully capable of moving out, and taking care of myself. The problem is money. Currently I work at target as a Casual, three days a week for 3-5 hours each shift. This gives me a decent amount of money, not much, but enough to spend and such. The reason I only do three shifts, is because I also do uni full time, and that takes up huge chunks of my time. 

But I can't stand being here anymore. I'm constantly stressed, my father is low-key homophobic, and high-key controlling. My mother can be emotionally-manipulative, and can make me feel worthless at times (She's well meaning.. I think, she just does it unknowingly). But bringing it up with either of them results in nothing changing, and me feeling guilty about upsetting them. 

So, I'm thinking of taking a break from uni, maybe just for the year, maybe a couple. Just so I can work full time, earn some cash and move out. Hopefully then I can support myself and juggle uni on top. It'd be hard, but perhaps a much better situation then the one I'm in now. 

Anyway, I'd really appreciate some advice. Tell me I'm being irrational, or agree with me, maybe somewhere in between. Anything to help me, because right now my mind is a mess or jumbled words and emotions. 

:shark:

• hugs 7

Moderator 16,274
2 minutes ago, ChromaticRaccoon said:

So, I'm thinking of taking a break from uni, maybe just for the year, maybe a couple. Just so I can work full time, earn some cash and move out. Hopefully then I can support myself and juggle uni on top. It'd be hard, but perhaps a much better situation then the one I'm in now. 

In my opinion you already presented the best solution. Two years ago I suggested the same to a friend and he is now preparing to finally move out. I wish you the best of luck :gaga-thanks:

• hugs 1
  • love 1

Popster This Way 564

maybe move out and move in with a roomate or friends family ...if they are nicer ..I wish some of my friends would have moved with me and my family when they had a rough time with theirs ...

• hugs 1

Community Leader 2,817

Get roommates in the cheapest place you can find and only buy the bare minimum when you start. Also, don't stop university. Leaving and then going back is so much harder than people make it out to be. 

• paws up 2
  • hugs 1

Popster to Popster 3,752
10 hours ago, Joannesrats said:

Get roommates in the cheapest place you can find and only buy the bare minimum when you start. Also, don't stop university. Leaving and then going back is so much harder than people make it out to be. 

I would recommend the same thing. Also if you aren't taking classes in summer and can work full time for a few months, it will help out a lot.

I did basically this when I was 19. I lived in a one-bedroom with 2 and sometimes 3 other people living there, never spent "fun" money, and honestly didn't really eat that much either.

For me it was a much better option financially and mentally than taking a year off and going back would have been, but you will really have to plan your budget to a T to see if this is a viable option for you.

• paws up 1