Have you ever met an online friend in real life?

Dirkje

Moderator 4,812

I have and its really special!

I'm planning to meet someone, but covid happened so we're waiting for the covid situation to be back to normal :)

• paws up 1

Popstanne 5,076

I'm going to assume you don't mean online dating, but yes. I've had friends whom I've been connected to via Facebook but hadn't known in real life who I eventually met and had a blast with (and in some cases felt like I'd known them better than "real-life" friends). 

I have some friends I met on that site that shan't be named whom I've never met in person, but we text every day about every aspect of our lives, and I feel like when we finally meet, it'll be like we've always known each other. 

• paws up 1

Moderator 4,812
On 7/21/2021 at 2:51 AM, Franch Toast said:

I'm going to assume you don't mean online dating, but yes. I've had friends whom I've been connected to via Facebook but hadn't known in real life who I eventually met and had a blast with (and in some cases felt like I'd known them better than "real-life" friends). 

I have some friends I met on that site that shan't be named whom I've never met in person, but we text every day about every aspect of our lives, and I feel like when we finally meet, it'll be like we've always known each other. 

Correct, I was like its a topic I think all of us can relate to somehow lol.

I think that when it comes to this, you should build it up. Like I have this friend that at the beginning it was just a nice person online, now, many years later, we are ready to meet. If covid didnt happen, we would have met already. 
And yes, I agree. That is just so special and weird. As normally when you meet someone new, you have the full package. With online friendships its about taking it step by step lol

• paws up 1

Popster to Popster 4,584

I have! My husband was someone I met as a friend on a forum first.  I have a handful of friends from forums and games that I’ve hung out with irl and have become good friends with.

The strangest thing for me is switching from calling them their online handles to their real names 😅

• paws up 1
  • love 2

Popstanne 5,076
On 7/20/2021 at 9:33 PM, NotDoctor said:

The strangest thing for me is switching from calling them their online handles to their real names 😅

I have a couple of friends who know me through Gaga forums and now know my real name yet still call me Franch sometimes. :icant:

• paws up 1
  • lol 3
  • yaas, gaga 1

Popster to Popster 3,752
On 7/20/2021 at 9:33 PM, NotDoctor said:

I have! My husband was someone I met as a friend on a forum first.  I have a handful of friends from forums and games that I’ve hung out with irl and have become good friends with.

I know your real name and I still think of you as NotDoctor :icant:

• lol 4

Moderator 4,812
On 7/21/2021 at 3:51 AM, Franch Toast said:

I have a couple of friends who know me through Gaga forums and now know my real name yet still call me Franch sometimes. :icant:

That wouldnt be a problem for me. Since Dirkje is the name that is in my pasport :)

• paws up 3

Popster to Popster 4,584
On 7/20/2021 at 9:51 PM, Franch Toast said:

I mean Franch is a pretty great name :icant:

• yaas, gaga 1

A Popster Is Born 13,923

oh, and btw, I actively refuse to call them by their real name and they'll always be called by their online name :arguega:

• lol 4

Moderator 16,734
On 7/21/2021 at 12:05 PM, danwasd said:

oh, and btw, I actively refuse to call them by their real name and they'll always be called by their online name :arguega:

Good thing I'm never meeting you then :icant:

• lol 1

Moderator 4,812
On 7/21/2021 at 12:05 PM, danwasd said:

Online yeah, but once it gets to the point of getting closer I use their real name. As I have some close friends I no longer want to see as online friends. Then I call them real life friends that live far away lol

• paws up 1

A Popster Is Born 13,923
On 7/21/2021 at 12:06 PM, corvus albus said:

Good thing I'm never meeting you then :icant:

your either corvus or dumbledore in my head, so you choose :mess:

Pop-a-911-ster 21,630

I once met a girl from an Estonian forum meant for kids when I was like 9 or 10 :icant:

I didn’t tell my parents that I was gonna meet up with a stranger but luckily it was another 10 year old girl not a 50 yo man :icant:

• shook 2
  • lol 5
  • love 2