The 20 years 9/11 thread

Dirkje

Moderator 4,653
On 9/11/2021 at 5:35 PM, Nightwing said:

I don’t really remember much as I was just a couple months old but I do have a distant and hazy memory of seeing it on the TV, however that may just be a false memory (as is quite common in remembering things about 9/11).

My parents have told me they saw the second plane hit the tower on TV though.

Same, but when I was in New York, we visited that place. We also went to the museum over there. Which is just insane, and hits home what happened there.

So if you were too young, and get a chance to visit New York, visit that area. It will act as a wakeup call on what happened there. 

• love 1

The Fame Popster 485

The weather here today is exactly the same as it was 20 years ago today. Maybe about 3-4C warmer. I remember being a child at home (as I was being homeschooled at the time due to cancer) and watching it unfold live on television. Probably scarred my psyche.

The Fame Popster 319

I was in the 4th grade. It wasn't scary as much as it was just confusing and strange. The teacher drew a diagram on the blackboard. For months after I would get worried every time I saw a plane in the sky, even though I live in Canada.

Kindness Admin 6,892
On 9/11/2021 at 10:45 AM, Gov Hooka said:

The US f-ed around and found out. 

Received a fraction of the horror that it inflicts abroad. 

Dont give a sh!t

I don’t think we have to ignore terrible acts to acknowledge failings of countries and groups - including tons of violence.

I was suppose to start high school that week, but our teachers were on strike and I remember my mom calling me to tell me there was an attack and we were at war. It was a really surreal day as my friends and I met up around the neighborhood and talked about how we were at war now. I know many people who lost loved ones, such a tragic day which kicked off even more tragedy as the US responded. Makes me so sad.

• hugs 1
  • thanks 3
  • lol 1

The Fame Popster 264
On 9/12/2021 at 3:01 PM, admin said:

I don’t think we have to ignore terrible acts to acknowledge failings of countries and groups - including tons of violence.

I was suppose to start high school that week, but our teachers were on strike and I remember my mom calling me to tell me there was an attack and we were at war. It was a really surreal day as my friends and I met up around the neighborhood and talked about how we were at war now. I know many people who lost loved ones, such a tragic day which kicked off even more tragedy as the US responded. Makes me so sad.

US does way worse to the rest of the world everyday and you don’t see theatrical remembrance bs posted about that. The tragedy was kicked off long before 9/11 and many Americans forget that and glaze over when it comes to the Muslims they kill abroad in the thousands everyday. Still don’t give a sh!t about 9/11. Never will. 

• paws up 1

Moderator 4,653
On 9/13/2021 at 4:12 AM, Gov Hooka said:

US does way worse to the rest of the world everyday and you don’t see theatrical remembrance bs posted about that. The tragedy was kicked off long before 9/11 and many Americans forget that and glaze over when it comes to the Muslims they kill abroad in the thousands everyday. Still don’t give a sh!t about 9/11. Never will. 

While I get your point, thinking about innocent victims never harms. 

Also be aware of survived victims, or their friends/families could read it and get hurt. If this happens to your family, you would feel too. 

• love 1

The Fame Popster 264
On 9/13/2021 at 7:41 AM, Dirkje said:

While I get your point, thinking about innocent victims never harms. 

Also be aware of survived victims, or their friends/families could read it and get hurt. If this happens to your family, you would feel too. 

You don’t get my point then. Y’all only ever think about the 3000 innocent victims here and NEVER about the hundreds of thousands if not millions of innocent victims abroad and pretend to say “we can think about both” when you clearly don’t... 9/11 remembrance posts are theatrical bs and nothing else because every single time y’all detach it from the larger picture of US imperialism and racism toward Muslims and of course the cruel constant wreckless slaughter of ppl in the Middle East. So yeah I don’t care 

• paws up 2

Pop visitors

There is a certain person in here that ought to eat their words and just be quiet, however I'll be kind and keep my mouth shut as to whom it is.

Tschüss!

Kindness Admin 6,892
On 9/13/2021 at 9:07 AM, Gov Hooka said:

You don’t get my point then. Y’all only ever think about the 3000 innocent victims here and NEVER about the hundreds of thousands if not millions of innocent victims abroad and pretend to say “we can think about both” when you clearly don’t... 9/11 remembrance posts are theatrical bs and nothing else because every single time y’all detach it from the larger picture of US imperialism and racism toward Muslims and of course the cruel constant wreckless slaughter of ppl in the Middle East. So yeah I don’t care 

We can end this discussion full stop. I, and many others, do think about this. A lot. We protest, donate and work to improve the evils of our government. All victims are victims and deserve respect and compassion. People who only care about certain victims or people are the type who promote continued violence and hate. 

This thread is about a tragic event  and remembering the victims and their loved ones. If you’re incapable of being kind or considerate, don’t speak. 

• thanks 4

The Fame Popster 264
On 9/15/2021 at 2:50 AM, admin said:

We can end this discussion full stop. I, and many others, do think about this. A lot. We protest, donate and work to improve the evils of our government. All victims are victims and deserve respect and compassion. People who only care about certain victims or people are the type who promote continued violence and hate. 

This thread is about a tragic event  and remembering the victims and their loved ones. If you’re incapable of being kind or considerate, don’t speak. 

That you can't even see your own displaced and selective sympathy and outrage is pretty telling. You're getting very defensive very quickly. And how do you protest? at sanctioned parades in NYC, donating to amorphous causes and supporting performative politicians... yeah great job. Props to you for that lol. 

This thread is about ignoring root causes for an event and conveniently ignoring the true victims of 9/11, the hundreds of thousands of innocent victims murdered senselessly abroad by YOUR country in the name of vengeance for this act, that the US brought upon itself by funding the very same people who did it. But again, yall would rather have theatrical remembrance displays rather than actually understanding what happened. 

Kindness Admin 6,892
On 9/15/2021 at 12:15 PM, Gov Hooka said:

That you can't even see your own displaced and selective sympathy and outrage is pretty telling. You're getting very defensive very quickly. And how do you protest? at sanctioned parades in NYC, donating to amorphous causes and supporting performative politicians... yeah great job. Props to you for that lol. 

This thread is about ignoring root causes for an event and conveniently ignoring the true victims of 9/11, the hundreds of thousands of innocent victims murdered senselessly abroad by YOUR country in the name of vengeance for this act, that the US brought upon itself by funding the very same people who did it. But again, yall would rather have theatrical remembrance displays rather than actually understanding what happened. 

All victims are tragic and deserve to be heard. You can talk about the many other victims related to this tragic event without saying those that died in the towers do not matter. You also know absolutely nothing about me or anyone else’s lives or actions. You’re inappropriate and out of line. I’ve asked you to stop posting if you can’t be kind- you clearly are unable. 

• paws up 1

The Fame Popster 264
On 9/16/2021 at 11:45 AM, admin said:

All victims are tragic and deserve to be heard. You can talk about the many other victims related to this tragic event without saying those that died in the towers do not matter. You also know absolutely nothing about me or anyone else’s lives or actions. You’re inappropriate and out of line. I’ve asked you to stop posting if you can’t be kind- you clearly are unable. 

Right of course, ALL lives matter. That yet you still won't even see the unequal display of remembrance and shows of sympathy for both victims shows me that you still would rather refuse to engage in uncomfortable truths about the ways in which you and the entire US still refuse to acknowledge the horrors and crimes yall have comitted in the Middle East and instead feign kindness as an excuse to gloss over everything when confronted with that reality. They do not matter to me and also to a global majority of people affected by the routine violence that the US inflicts on them, because they are victimized by the US in ways that are completely cruel. You clearly are unable to lock the thread because you only want certain opinions heard. So go ahead and lock it then.

• 1 month later...