Chromatica: Is it the best that Gaga could've done in 2020?

ItsGenuineGuy09

A Popster Is Born 11,846

Don't get me wrong - i love Chromatica, its one of her most consistent and coherent bodies of work...  However:

Looking at Future Nostalgia's year long acclaim that cultivated with an AOTY nom, multiple year end list love, and an over 85 score on metacrtic - Do you believe that Chromatica is the best output that Gaga could've done in 2020, or did she make this album and other factors ultimately influence it's outcome.

Personally, whilst the lyrics are great, i find that the album could've been made a lot more fresher and less noisy in parts. This therefore would've made it more acclaimed and perhaps be more organic commercially vs. having big first month and then not sticking around.

Stupid Love has some elements that i love, but i am not sure as her big pop comeback it really nailed it, despite sounding good on the radio. It almost does feel a little bit like someone was asked to make a song that sounded like a lady gaga song - if that makes sense. Sour Candy, on the other hand, is in my opinion some of the best work on the album - it's a dance song that isn't noisy and has disco influence - I think her coming back with that as lead would've been better and less reductive.

i almost feel like Chromatica was originally thought up to really be like her 'future nostalgia' and be Gaga's return to dance, doing something trend setting. Perhaps somewhere along the way it became more about pleasing the fans and soccer moms - and it's progressiveness was stunted. ROM is a highlight of the album, but doesn't necessarily feel like it reached its potential - almost feeling like it is not as replayable as it could be.

Also Free Woman the album version is no where near as strong as the house demo.

Discuss!

• paws up 2

Gaming Leader 6,416

I think it’s a fantastic album. But based on the demo’s, I feel like there were too many hands in the pot and way too many ideas flowing, once again. I think sometimes Gaga should just trust her gut and follow her initial vision. It seems to be a pattern that she has a certain vision when she starts and it almost always completely changes by the end result. Sometimes that can be a good thing, but I think it may have been too much this time. There’s not a distinct sound throughout a Chromatica like there is on albums like Future Nostalgia or even After Hours. That doesn’t mean it’s a bad album but it’s my opinion as a fan.

16 minutes ago, ItsGenuineGuy09 said:

Also Free Woman the album version is no where near as strong as the house demo.

This 100% and I’m still not over it.     
this demo got me so hyped for the album and the late 90s/early 2000s house sound we were about to receive on Chromatica but yet when it dropped, it was all just very safe and a little too polished. It also lacked a house music vibe which is a sound I was so excited to hear Gaga explore on an entire album. 

all that being said, Chromatica still is an amazing album and it did the job of getting us through the hard times of 2020. It remains her 3rd best album so let’s celebrate that :mess:

• paws up 1
  • yaas, gaga 2

A Popster Is Born 11,846
6 minutes ago, PETTY said:

I think it’s a fantastic album. But based on the demo’s, I feel like there were too many hands in the pot and way too many ideas flowing, once again. I think sometimes Gaga should just trust her gut and follow her initial vision. It seems to be a pattern that she has a certain vision when she starts and it almost always completely changes by the end result. Sometimes that can be a good thing, but I think it may have been too much this time. There’s not a distinct sound throughout a Chromatica like there is on albums like Future Nostalgia or even After Hours. That doesn’t mean it’s a bad album but it’s my opinion as a fan.

This 100% and I’m still not over it.     
this demo got me so hyped for the album and the late 90s/early 2000s house sound we were about to receive on Chromatica but yet when it dropped, it was all just very safe and a little too polished. It also lacked a house music vibe which is a sound I was so excited to hear Gaga explore on an entire album. 

all that being said, Chromatica still is an amazing album and it did the job of getting us through the hard times of 2020. It remains her 3rd best album so let’s celebrate that :mess:

Fantastic well thought out post :)

I agree and from a fan perspective I'm happy. but just seeing it's potential on all aspects I can't help but think, could Chromatica have really been that b*tch even more 

• thanks 1

Kindness Admin 6,892

I'm not very interested in conflating commercial success, critical success or personal enjoyment. They're all very different things and there are lots of factors that go into commercial and critical success outside of the work itself.

For me, Chromatica hit the ball on the head for my personal enjoyment. I really love this album. I always wish and want the best when it comes to commercial and critical success, but no matter what we may think would've worked better, we can never know. I don't think Gaga was constrained or forced to make compromises. She went with what she felt was best. There might've been too many cooks, I certainly don't know, but I don't think we got less than what Gaga wanted. That's what I'm here for, Gaga's music.

So, to summarize, I'm very happy and have no desire to compare to an amazing album from rising pop royalty like Dua or to debate what might've been changed on the album to make it more appealing to the masses or critics.

I also think the Free Woman demo is a mess.

• paws up 5
  • yaas, gaga 1

A Popster Is Born 11,846
5 minutes ago, admin said:

I'm not very interested in conflating commercial success, critical success or personal enjoyment. They're all very different things and there are lots of factors that go into commercial and critical success outside of the work itself.

I enjoy the album as I said I listen to it everyday - I don't enjoy listening to FN in the same way as Chromatica at all. However, I o appreciate FN and can totally see why it got the acclaim it did. For me Chromatica has that personality - that's how Gaga connects with us. But part of me was wondering if it could've it have gone further and would've this have made this almost like another ASIB moment for her - not because I'm stanning success but just because of the potential I see in it. 

9 minutes ago, admin said:

think the Free Woman demo is a mess

Along with ROM there's that initial unapologetic house pop sound that is dark and a bit more experimental - the production of FW album feels a little ibiza 2006 or smthn. I think I'll be happy if this idea of alternative versions come out. But yes I love Chromatica and that's largely because I'm a fan and that's what it serves 

• paws up 2

I love Chromatica but yes, agree that the production was "dumbed down" in the name of "mass appeal." The breakdown on Free Woman makes me think I'm at a shitty club in Vegas with a bunch of straights. But the bridge on the demo was equally as cringey so I guess I agree with both of you lol. An alternative mix album is actually a really good idea and I'm excited at the thought of it.

I know @admin and I would LOVE a Fun Tonight piano version. :classic_biggrin:

• paws up 4

A Popster Is Born 11,846
18 minutes ago, Gypsy Guy Holland said:

I refuse to forgive her for removing the FW bridge and “Electric Devotion” though.

spacer.png

uhm chile.. that bridge was NOT it - the best thing they did was removing it :billie: however, tea on the electric devotion - that is literally a lyrical highlight. honestly the free woman demo (the original 50 second version) was like peak excitness... free woman literally sounded like it was going to be her definining masterpiece that;d get endless acclaim... the album version just sounds like it was scarficed to sound more like what they wanted fun tonight to sound like... i really hope we get the boyznoise/house free woman... my countrys radio would've loved that

OFTPC:

Thak ya'll to your amazing contribtions to my thread - i couldnt have wrote this perhaps on g site because of people getting offended, but seems like we all agree despiting loving the album. love yall x

• paws up 1

I’m not sure. It’s a very good album, but after seven months with it, it’s not quite amazing. It does feel overly polished a lot of the time. I think it’s a somewhat safe yet successful album for Gaga, but isn’t quite catapulting her evolution or anything. My biggest gripes are with SFA sounding forced into the album (mostly with the collaboration,) and Babylon feeling incomplete. I think everything else is good to great. The production is good overall, but again over done at times. I feel like the Chromatica theme was totally shoehorned in and isn’t close to being the fully formed concept we’re led to believe it is.

Popster to Popster 3,689
4 hours ago, PETTY said:

Episode 5 Drinking GIF by The Bachelor

Spoiler

behind TFM and BTW is the only right choice imo

• yaas, gaga 1

ARTPOPster 1,672

I actually think that Chromat- wait let me read that again. Goddammit I can't read properly

Ah.Chromatica, as you have said, it isn't the best that she put out this year. Don't get me wrong but I love it but something about it just doesn't cling like her old albums. Some people proved here a point like it isn't the best song for comeback and all those stuff and as a fan, I agree with all the points here. I'm trying not to be too cynical because I'm already having a headache right now. This album feels undone. Yes, COVID affected the album's promotion and stuff but it feels like if the virus didn't happen, the album would sound more full than what the album is now. She could've had promotion but she instead helped the world for COVID and the elections which is a good move. All I have to say is yes, it doesn't sound the best but it isn't the worst of hers.

The Popster 53

Realistically, no. I LOVE this album and genuinely consider it to be one of her strongest pop releases (the narrative arc on the album is her strongest) but Gaga has grown artistically enough to deliver one of the best and most ambitious albums of all-time (THO TFM already ranks up there 🤭). Considering the breadth of her talent and vision, she could absolutely put out arguably the best mainstream pop record seen so far. If she pushed herself to deliver her absolute best, she could have completely changed music again, but at the same time, she can do that with her next release. Depending on what her next music projects are, I think Chromatica may be seen as a necessary album in the way Joanne was. It was her announcing her return to pop before she delivered (xyz).