Dua Lipa: '[As feminists,] we have to support sex workers'

danwasd

A Popster Is Born 13,704

Lipa responded to the backlash in a new cover story for Rolling Stone on Thursday (Jan. 14), noting that the bash at the strip club was actually the opposite of anti-feminist. “I just feel like, if you’re a feminist, you have to also support women in all fields of work,” she explained. “We have to support sex workers, we have to believe that that [work] is their choice and their right." It seems quite hypocritical, I think, people picking and choosing as to how they want to support women and when it suits them," she continued. "That’s another form of misogyny, which really derives from the male gaze.”

So, what do you think? Is it misogynistic to not support sex workers? I personally believe that this is a very liberal -in the bad meaning- way of seeing feminism. :ohhh:

Billboard's article: https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/pop/9511781/dua-lipa-grammys-strip-club-backlash-support-sex-workers

Original interview: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/dua-lipa-future-nostalgia-cover-story-1113124/

Edited by danwasd
  • paws up 2
  • yaas, gaga 4

• danwasd changed the title to Dua Lipa: '[As feminists,] we have to support sex workers'
Community Leader 454
9 minutes ago, Delusional said:

This thread keeps reminding me of that one member on GGD that believed sex work is demeaning or something and shouldn’t be legal :bradley: Yikes 

Not a day went by on GGD without wildly inappropriate/offensive viewpoints being expressed :mess:

• paws up 1

@danwasdI agree with Dua’s well-stated stance on this. To pick and choose how to support women is a form of misogyny.

9 hours ago, danwasd said:

So, what do you think? Is it misogynistic to not support sex workers? I personally believe that this is a very liberal -in the bad meaning- way of seeing feminism. :ohhh:

Between this and your questionable posts regarding censoring Trump, you seem pretty conservative. Please elaborate on your extremely shady remark about “bad” liberalism? It’s bad to support a woman’s autonomy over her body and sexuality?

• thanks 1

ARTPOPster 2,450
4 hours ago, Daylight Oreos said:

Is this Blueberry Brunette?

4 hours ago, Delusional said:

No, Mr. Kanye West :awkney: 

Don’t forget craig going on for pages and pages ranting against onlyfans :billie:

• paws up 1
  • thanks 1

RIP Angel 1,992
8 hours ago, Delusional said:

No, Mr. Kanye West :awkney: 

That user has an instagram that's dedicated to female stars from old Hollywood. It unfortunately kinda make sense why their views are like that. People love to glamourize female beauty standards from the 50's.

4 hours ago, blankpaper said:

Don’t forget craig going on for pages and pages ranting against onlyfans :billie:

Oh my god, I remember that messy thread.

16 hours ago, danwasd said:

:awkney:

Edited by Daylight Oreos
  • paws up 3

ARTPOPster 1,476
15 hours ago, danwasd said:

It's not misogynistic but it's the wrong conclusion. This and trans issues are where radical feminism gets it wrong and liberal feminism is right. 

Personal agency and choice matter. There is no profession where we aren't "selling our body" and so by being anti sex work, radical feminists only worsen the already stigmatized position sex workers have. Sex work should be legal so people can choose to do it safely and on their own terms. And they should not be looked down on for it. It's a result of material conditions in a capitalist society and some women would literally get no other job. By being anti sex work, people are depriving many of the ability to make some money to sustain themselves. And by criminalizing it, exploited sex workers are under pressure not to report it because they'll be harassed or prosecuted by the cops. 

Dua is absolutely right here. 

• paws up 2
  • thanks 1

Community Leader 1,294

I agree about this. Legally aged consenting sex workers shouldn't just be given the rights but they should also be given protection. Their work is dangerous and alot of sex workers are getting killed. They just dont report it in the news most of the time cause of the stigma around this profession.  :oscar:

Moderator 4,653

Saying this, just in case. I'd rather prevent than having to step in as a mod :)

I can see this turning into something sensitive. Have your conversations and discussions, but remain respectful! Not everybody is gonna agree with you :) 

• paws up 2