Rate the song above you

Dirkje

Moderator 4,653

This game allows you to discover music in a fun way!

In this thread, Gaga is not allowed in! 

Rate the song above you, post a new one for the next popster!

If you dont know the song, take a listen!

GO!

Start song:

• paws up 1

Popstanne 5,076
57 minutes ago, Dirkje said:

This game allows you to discover music in a fun way!

In this thread, Gaga is not allowed in! 

Rate the song above you, post a new one for the next popster!

If you dont know the song, take a listen!

GO!

Start song:

It's basically "No Doubt Lite," like a decaf version of their music. It's catchy and fun and has really grown on me, and it rekindled my love for No Doubt and encouraged me to revisit their work, especially after watching the video and reminiscing about all her classic looks. However, revisiting No Doubt's oeuvre has reminded me that I am not as much of a fan of solo Gwen––I think she's allowed the label producers to strip her of her uniqueness, and there's just not the same energy when she's alone as when she's with the guys. 

Some of the lyrics are corny and cringeworthy, but I appreciate the throwbacks, both lyrically and visually. "I already gave you bananas" is the obvious one, but the corny coupon line is actually a nod to a line from "Underneath it All" ("you've used up all your coupons"). I appreciate these little clues. I feel the song achieves what it set out to do because it reminds listeners of what Gwen/No Doubt have done in the past, encouraging a deep dive for new listeners and old fans alike. As a stand-alone song, however, I think it's just okay. I rate it a 7/10, which is a passing grade, but it's not extraordinary. 

Edited to add a new song to continue the game:

I decided to go with a No Doubt song, the first (and only?) song that Gwen has ever written on her own, as a contrast to recent solo work.

Edited by Franch Toast

Moderator 4,653
2 minutes ago, Franch Toast said:

It's basically "No Doubt Lite," like a decaf version of their music. It's catchy and fun and has really grown on me, and it rekindled my love for No Doubt and encouraged me to revisit their work, especially after watching the video and reminiscing about all her classic looks. However, revisiting No Doubt's oeuvre has reminded me that I am not as much of a fan of solo Gwen––I think she's allowed the label producers to strip her of her uniqueness, and there's just not the same energy when she's alone as when she's with the guys. 

Some of the lyrics are corny and cringeworthy, but I appreciate the throwbacks, both lyrically and visually. "I already gave you bananas" is the obvious one, but the corny coupon line is actually a nod to a line from "Underneath it All" ("you've used up all your coupons"). I appreciate these little clues. I feel the song achieves what it set out to do because it reminds listeners of what Gwen/No Doubt have done in the past, encouraging a deep dive for new listeners and old fans alike. As a stand-alone song, however, I think it's just okay. I rate it a 7/10, which is a passing grade, but it's not extraordinary. 

Great! If you finish rating, you can post a new song. That way the thread keeps going!

Popstanne 5,076
1 minute ago, Dirkje said:

Great! If you finish rating, you can post a new song. That way the thread keeps going!

I just realized that and made the appropriate edit. I was too focused on my critique. :billie:

• paws up 1

Popster to Popster 3,689
5 hours ago, Franch Toast said:

Edited to add a new song to continue the game:

I decided to go with a No Doubt song, the first (and only?) song that Gwen has ever written on her own, as a contrast to recent solo work.

You've inspired me to get back into Gwen/No Doubt! It has "Underneath It All" vibes, and overall characteristic of the No Doubt sound. I say this is a solid song upon first listen. I'd give it an 8/10, but I feel like it has the power to grow on me. The chorus is already stuck in my head. 

• yaas, gaga 1

17 minutes ago, NYNJ Nights said:

I'm curious to hear thoughts on this:

It's a good song, I like the rawness of the guitars on the chorus, but I appreciated it more when it came out tbh + Manic has better songs on the album. But it's a nice track nevertheless with a great music video!

Lyrically, it's very good, but I didn't expect less coming from such a good lyricist like Halsey.

What do you think of this song?

Popster to Popster 3,689
7 minutes ago, Ms I am a local said:

It's a good song, I like the rawness of the guitars on the chorus, but I appreciated it more when it came out tbh + Manic has better songs on the album. But it's a nice track nevertheless with a great music video!

Lyrically, it's very good, but I didn't expect less coming from such a good lyricist like Halsey.

I didn't like it on first listen but it really grew on me especially after watching the music video. I agree it is great and of course loved the nods to her idols :love:

I really like Halsey and want to dive deeper into her non-singles. Which off of Manic (and any others would you recommend)? finally//beautiful stranger deserves more attention imo and 3am is lowkey a bop

• paws up 1

Gaming Leader 8,440
59 minutes ago, little legend said:

Your SL stunt was ... anyway. :eyega:

Wildest Dreams is cute, yet overrated in my opinion, especially when there are so many other bangers on the same album. New Romantics, Clean, AYHTDWS and How You Get the Girl just to name a few. I think the song got hyped up more because of the music video rather than the actual track, but it's far from her worst from 1989. I like the dreamy vibe, but finds annoying her vocals. It feels forced, idk. Her lyrics are cute I guess, very specific storyline like we are used to by her. I like the third part of the song, where all comes together, but then again, her out-of-key-out-of-breath-orgasm-tone AaaaaA-AAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaa ... ruins it.

Despite dragging the song, it's still a cute bop. I def skip if I'm streaming 1989, but I don't hate it. 4.5/10.

1 hour ago, NYNJ Nights said:

I didn't like it on first listen but it really grew on me especially after watching the music video. I agree it is great and of course loved the nods to her idols :love:

I really like Halsey and want to dive deeper into her non-singles. Which off of Manic (and any others would you recommend)? finally//beautiful stranger deserves more attention imo and 3am is lowkey a bop

These are my favourites:

Manic: killing boys, clementine, Graveyard, Without Me, Still Learning

hopeless fountain kingdom: Eyes Closed, Heaven In Hiding, Sorry, Bad At Love, Lie

BADLANDS: Roman Holiday, Gasoline, Colors, Control

+ Nightmare might be my favorite from hers, oh wow what a moment! It didn't deserve to flop

music video mv GIF by Halsey

Edited by Ms I am a local
  • paws up 1

Gaming Leader 8,440
1 minute ago, Ms I am a local said:

These are my favourites:

Manic: killing boys, clementine, graveyard

hopeless fountain kingdom: Eyes Closed, Heaven In Hiding, Sorry, Bad At Love, Lie

BADLANDS: Roman Holiday, Gasoline, Colors, Control

+ Nightmare might be my favorite from hers, oh wow what a moment!

music video mv GIF by Halsey

COLORS AND CLEMENTINE - GOD TIER 

giphy.gif

• yaas, gaga 1

• 2 weeks later...