All Things International Politics: UK local election results

Nightwing

Popster to Popster 2,701

Hello everyone! I’ve decided to create a thread that focuses on politics outside of the U.S. so feel free to share any news or articles and starting discussions pertaining to politics from any country!

To start off the thread I wanted to share the recent development in Spain, where their parliament just passed a bill legalizing euthanasia.

Edited by Vengeance
  • paws up 5

ARTPOPster 2,450

Assisted suicide is so important and needs to be legalized everywhere. People get so focused on length of life and keeping people alive as long as possible that they tend to disregard quality of life

(tw suicide:)

Spoiler

My dad’s uncle had terminal cancer and wasn’t in or near a state where assisted suicide was legal, so he ended up shooting  himself in the head because he wanted to die on his own terms with some dignity left. It wasn’t fair that he had to make that decision, and that other people had to find him 

• hugs 4

Moderator 16,150

Quite honestly, I find the word "euthanasia" to be really discomforting/disturbing. Especially because "euthanasia" was a corner of Nazi ideology. I really prefer the word assisted suicide.

• paws up 2
  • thanks 1

• Nightwing changed the title to All Things International Politics: Netanyahu poised to maintain power after Israel’s fourth election in 2 years
  • Nightwing changed the title to All Things International Politics: New Zealand passes paid leave for couples who experience miscarriage
ARTPOPster 2,470
53 minutes ago, Sir.Sim said:

Omg yes me too

Hide contents

@thetea you are so lucky 

i heard about this. it's such amazing news, especially for struggling parents. i really love Jacinda ardern, she's a really humble, kind-hearted person. she regularly does facebook live videos at her home and just talks and many people have spotted her grocery shopping and buying things from Kmart. she's so down to earth. i had the opportunity to meet her, i live in one of the poorest suburbs in the country and last year she came and visited one of our saturday markets and i missed it and i was so disappointed, i wanted to go take photos with her.

• paws up 4
  • love 1

ARTPOPster 2,470
On 3/19/2021 at 8:33 AM, blankpaper said:

Assisted suicide is so important and needs to be legalized everywhere. People get so focused on length of life and keeping people alive as long as possible that they tend to disregard quality of life

(tw suicide:)

Reveal hidden contents

My dad’s uncle had terminal cancer and wasn’t in or near a state where assisted suicide was legal, so he ended up shooting  himself in the head because he wanted to die on his own terms with some dignity left. It wasn’t fair that he had to make that decision, and that other people had to find him 

i agree 100%. people have a right to choose what happens in their own life when they are terminally ill. assisted suicide was legalised last year in new zealand through a referendum which is good

• paws up 4

• Nightwing changed the title to All Things International Politics: 114 killed by Myanmar security forces
The Fame Popster 382
On 3/27/2021 at 7:30 PM, Starboy said:

This is so awful 

Agreed. We need to fight for the people in Myanmar and restore the democracy and save Aung San Suu Kyi.

• thanks 1

• Nightwing changed the title to All Things International Politics: Aung San Suu Kyi charged under Official Secrets Act
Moderator 3,690
On 3/31/2021 at 7:47 PM, Starboy said:

Hope he gets the care he needs 

It seems that Navalnyi is getting some medical help, but I would not be surprised if he mysteriously died to complications or something like that. 

• paws up 1

Moderator 3,690
11 hours ago, Starboy said:

This is such a mess. He essentially made himself a dictator and there’s no one there to stop him. I do find it odd that a majority of voters voted to approve that constitutional amendment though. I thought most were against Putin at this point or at least when they voted for it last year.

Russians seems to love their tsars. However the referendum was a joint one on multiple subjects and the other things were quite popular in Russia and if Putin wants to stay in power, he will find another way so that section of the referendum probably was quite meaningless. 

• paws up 1

Popster This Way 564
On 3/23/2021 at 11:35 PM, Starboy said:

Highlights:

• Three broadcasters’ exit polls projected that Mr. Netanyahu’s party, Likud, won from 31 to 33 seats, while his wider right-wing bloc won 53 to 54 seats — short of the 61 seats he needs to form a majority coalition in the 120-seat Parliament.
  • Mr. Netanyahu could assemble one of the most right-wing governments in Israeli history, created from ultra-Orthodox parties, ultranationalists, a group that campaigns against gay rights and another whose leader advocates expelling Arab citizens of Israel deemed disloyal to the state.
  • Final results are not expected until the end of the week, and could easily change the outcome.
  • Exit polls suggested that Mr. Netanyahu had beaten off challenges from Mr. Lapid, the centrist leader of the opposition and former finance minister, whose party won 16 to 18 seats, according to exit polls, and Gideon Saar, a former Likud interior minister who quit the party in protest over Mr. Netanyahu’s refusal to step down. Mr. Saar’s new right-wing party won five to six seats, exit polls said, while the entire anti-Netanyahu bloc won 59 seats, two short of a majority — but with no route to power without Mr. Bennett.

wtf

• sad 1

Moderator 3,690
17 minutes ago, crazybadbich97 said:

maybe he dies before hand ?

He would be 84 by the end of 2036, I can see him staying until then and then finding a successor. 

• sad 1

• Nightwing changed the title to All Things International Politics: Unrest in Northern Ireland
Moderator 3,690
2 hours ago, Starboy said:

Le Pen is quite popular amongst younger voters 

A mess, I hope Le Pen never gets to be president, she has some dark ties to Putin's Russia and there are rumours that Putin is funding her Party. 

• shook 1

• Nightwing changed the title to All Things International Politics: Australia cancels Belt and Road deal with China
  • Nightwing changed the title to All Things International Politics: UK local election results