BBMA ratings reach record low, down 62% from last year

EuphoricVibez

The Billboard Music Awards hit a new record-low rating in the key adults 18-49 demographic Wednesday, when the NBC awards show fell 62% from last year’s event. In terms of total viewers, the 2020 BBMAs were down 55% from the 2019 telecast.

Last night, the Billboard Music Awards garnered a 0.8 rating and 3.6 million viewers, according to preliminary Nielsen data. In May 2019, last year’s BBMAs received a 2.1 rating and 7.96 million viewers in those same early returns, and adjusted up to 8.019 million viewers in final numbers. It’s important to keep in mind here that awards-show ratings have continued to decline in recent years and have been hit particularly hard in 2020 due to the pandemic, which has shifted several shows away from their normal airdates — including the Billboard Music Awards. 

https://www.thewrap.com/nbc-billboard-music-awards-ratings-record-low-masked-singer-amazing-race

• yaas, gaga 1

In general no one watches award shows the way they used to anymore. The music scene in general switched. Rarely do artists ‘reign’ anymore, they’re just lucky to get a hit and keep it moving quickly for the next big thing. 

It’s all too manufactured, boring and forced now. 

• paws up 1

Popster This Way 656
6 minutes ago, Mister G said:

Didn’t even know this happened until I saw an article circulating about Demi Lovato’s performance.

Same. I didn't even know where Demi had performed until I saw this thread. I just knew she performed for something.

• paws up 2

Popstanne 5,076

John Legend apparently gave a moving performance dedicated to Chrissy Teigen (who two weeks ago prematurely gave birth to their son who only lived a few minutes before dying). I watched it online and bawled. 

• hugs 3

Kindness Admin 6,892
24 minutes ago, Franch Toast said:

John Legend apparently gave a moving performance dedicated to Chrissy Teigen (who two weeks ago prematurely gave birth to their son who only lived a few minutes before dying). I watched it online and bawled. 

Just watched it and it was really sad :( So sad for them.

• hugs 1

Popstanne 5,076
Just now, admin said:

Just watched it and it was really sad :( So sad for them.

Yes. I read her Tweets when things were unfolding, and my heart broke for them. But I think it's good they're so open about this. Miscarriage and giving birth to a child who dies soon after are taboo topics, but they impact a lot of people. 

• paws up 2