Jump to content

Texas Teacher Doesn't Assign Homework


ProjectJoanne
 Share

Recommended Posts

Community Leader 2,817

I’ve been more successful in college courses that didn’t require homework than ones that did - and ones at the same level, too. Not one senior level one with home compared to a sophomore level one without. 

Homework burns people out. 

  • paws up 4
  • thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think homework gives people practice they need in certain subjects, and everyone learns at a different pace. But the endless piles of homework I had and my friends had was ridiculous. I almost never did my homework and yet I did well and I received all my credits for my AP classes. Assigning homework just makes students more tired and decreases productivity in classes, which feeds into a cycle because then they have to work twice as hard to learn concepts on their own time at home because they couldn't concentrate or retain information that was taught in class. The college system I feel is a lot more efficient and less of a burden because it's not structured to be 40 hours a week of instruction plus homework, and I don't even know how I made it through high school looking back.

  • paws up 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Popstanne 5,076

I think whether homework is effective is definitely something to be determined on a base-by-case basis, both in terms of the subject matter and the student's needs. But certainly, too much homework is assigned simply because instructors feel the need to assign homework. 

For example, there are classes where you're going to have to read outside of class as homework, because reading to yourself in class would be a colossal waste of time. Similarly, there are skills that may require practice outside of class, such as language learning. Moreover, one student may need extra practice outside of class, and another one may not. However, this is definitely not a one-size-fits-all issue, and I definitely like the idea of trying to make use of in-class time and minimizing take-home work. Ultimately, there are different kinds of learners, and educational institutions need to address this. 

  • paws up 2
  • yaas, gaga 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Franch Toast said:

I think whether homework is effective is definitely something to be determined on a base-by-case basis, both in terms of the subject matter and the student's needs. But certainly, too much homework is assigned simply because instructors feel the need to assign homework. 

For example, there are classes where you're going to have to read outside of class as homework, because reading to yourself in class would be a colossal waste of time. Similarly, there are skills that may require practice outside of class, such as language learning. Moreover, one student may need extra practice outside of class, and another one may not. However, this is definitely not a one-size-fits-all issue, and I definitely like the idea of trying to make use of in-class time and minimizing take-home work. Ultimately, there are different kinds of learners, and educational institutions need to address this. 

That time I got a 50% on a homework assignment because my teacher told us we had to copy definitions to learn for a test and I didn't write them word for word. Even after earning a 100% on the exam on which terms were covered, she absolutely refused to change my grade. 

  • shook 1
  • hugs 1
  • sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Popster to Popster 3,889

Good for the teacher. If anything, I'd assign very simple homework, something that makes the students think but doesn't require studying their lives away for it. Teachers need to remember EACH teacher is giving said student something to do some nights. 

I dated a high school history teacher briefly and it was refreshing to know that children are going to be having a lot of good teachers, the more that are graduating college. He was very liberal and said that he never gave out tests, that he did not want to measure a kids intelligence by them knowing exactly what year so and so happened, and instead he would do little mini pop quizzes in class and make sure that each kid REALLY understood the lesson. He was happy if they learned something. It was so refreshing.

 

  • paws up 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Kindness Admin 6,892
10 hours ago, Franch Toast said:

I think whether homework is effective is definitely something to be determined on a base-by-case basis, both in terms of the subject matter and the student's needs. But certainly, too much homework is assigned simply because instructors feel the need to assign homework. 

For example, there are classes where you're going to have to read outside of class as homework, because reading to yourself in class would be a colossal waste of time. Similarly, there are skills that may require practice outside of class, such as language learning. Moreover, one student may need extra practice outside of class, and another one may not. However, this is definitely not a one-size-fits-all issue, and I definitely like the idea of trying to make use of in-class time and minimizing take-home work. Ultimately, there are different kinds of learners, and educational institutions need to address this. 

I think this too. There is only so much you can confer in your 40 or 50 minutes a few times a week (even every day). I feel homework can be essential, but it really needs to be on a case-by-case. The first things that come to mind are reading and computer science work. It's just not reasonable to dedicate that much in-class time to reading or working on programs. You'd lose too much time.

  • paws up 1
  • thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Pop-a-911-ster 38,625

As an engineering student, I think problem sheets should be a resource for students and not compulsory for them to do. It's bizarre some colleges still grade homework and count them as part of the final grade.

  • paws up 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, beng said:

As an engineering student, I think problem sheets should be a resource for students and not compulsory for them to do. It's bizarre some colleges still grade homework and count them as part of the final grade.

I've seen a lot of professors move to homework where it counts as like 5-10% of the final grade. Also what I've increasingly seen is having programs as part of class that let you check your work and let you rework the question until the answer is correct. It's amazing because you get feedback and you effectively get graded for attempting items. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Pop-a-911-ster 38,625
Just now, justhislife said:

I've seen a lot of professors move to homework where it counts as like 5-10% of the final grade. Also what I've increasingly seen is having programs as part of class that let you check your work and let you rework the question until the answer is correct. It's amazing because you get feedback and you effectively get graded for attempting items. 

The thing is some profs have deadlines for homework and you can't take the time to learn and apply the techniques to solve problems.

Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, beng said:

The thing is some profs have deadlines for homework and you can't take the time to learn and apply the techniques to solve problems.

I absolutely agree. Learning time management skills is integral for school. And obviously it's extremely hard to do when you're also doing other things but you just cannot wait until the last minute to get started on things if you have time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Guest
Pop visitors
9 minutes ago, SamanthaC said:

Your homework is to post on Gaga forums? What a cool teacher you have! :romance:

bahhaha i wish

no it's some presentation on a topic that is already irrelevant to me:ohyes:

and im super tired as well someone end my suffering :ohyes:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...