Quibi Shutting Down

NotDoctor

Popster to Popster 4,583

"Quibi — the shortform mobile-focused streaming service — is shutting down after just over six months of operation, making it one of the shortest-lived streaming services to date, according to The Wall Street Journal.

It’s not clear what will happen to the company’s lineup of expensive, star-studded original shows and shortform films after the shutdown. Earlier reports indicated that co-founder Jeffrey Katzenberg had courted Apple, WarnerMedia, and Facebook to try to acquire the beleaguered streaming company earlier this year. When those efforts failed, Katzenberg reportedly tried to get Facebook and NBCUniversal to at least pick up Quibi’s content, to no success."

https://www.theverge.com/2020/10/21/21527197/quibi-streaming-service-mobile-shutting-down-end-katzenberg

Talk about wrong place wrong time.  Launching a TV service to stream videos designed for commuters right before a global pandemic hit and basically destroyed public transportation use apparently didn't work out so great.  I hope creators on the platform are able to take their shows elsewhere.  Gayme Show and Nice One! were fantastic

Edited by NotDoctor
  • sad 1

ARTPOPster 1,476

Wow even TMobile couldn't save them... TMo was offering free 6 month subscriptions to anyone and the option to choose between Netflix and Quibi for some phone plans. 

Everyone probably chose Netflix. 

Kindness Admin 6,892

I always thought this sounded insane, but it was a cute idea. Made more sense as a YouTube project or something rather than a standalone $5 a month service though. Too bad.

Popster to Popster 3,752
47 minutes ago, lavenderblondee said:

It had some great actors/what looked like good content, but I still think it was doomed from the start. The concept is there, but I don't think totally necessary. 

Have you seen this article? https://www.vulture.com/2020/07/is-anyone-watching-quibi.html
It's from back in July and it goes pretty in depth with all of the problems the company had. The pandemic could have played a role, but it definitely feels like they are also using it as a scapegoat.

The article is long but worth it for this amazing exchange with the CEO. When I ask Whitman what TV shows she watches, she responds, “I’m not sure I’d classify myself as an entertainment enthusiast.” But any particular shows she likes? “Grant,” she offered. “On the History Channel. It’s about President Grant.”

• shook 3

Popster to Popster 3,889
11 minutes ago, GitHub said:

Have you seen this article? https://www.vulture.com/2020/07/is-anyone-watching-quibi.html
It's from back in July and it goes pretty in depth with all of the problems the company had. The pandemic could have played a role, but it definitely feels like they are also using it as a scapegoat.

The article is long but worth it for this amazing exchange with the CEO. When I ask Whitman what TV shows she watches, she responds, “I’m not sure I’d classify myself as an entertainment enthusiast.” But any particular shows she likes? “Grant,” she offered. “On the History Channel. It’s about President Grant.”

Uh, ooof..

Yeah, I thought they were having issues basically from the START, lacking subscribers. Granted, they did launch it at the start of the pandemic, I still feel like, how you said,  corona probably played a small role. I think it would of crashed and burned regardless. 

• paws up 1