Exceptionally Well-Preserved Snack Bar Unearthed in Pompeii

Battle For Your Life

RIP Angel 1,992

Researchers said on Saturday they had discovered a frescoed thermopolium or fast-food counter in an exceptional state of preservation in Pompeii.

The ornate snack bar, decorated with polychrome patterns and frozen by volcanic ash, was partially exhumed last year but archaeologists extended work on the site to reveal it in its full glory.

Pompeii was buried in ash and pumice when the nearby Mount Vesuvius erupted in AD79, killing between 2,000 and 15,000 people. Archaeologists continue to make discoveries there.

The thermopolium of Regio V at what was a busy intersection of Silver Wedding Street and Alley of Balconies was the Roman-era equivalent of a fast-food snack stall.

A fresco bearing an image of a Nereid nymph riding a seahorse and gladiators in combat had been unearthed previously.

1706.jpg?width=620&quality=45&auto=forma3200.jpg?width=620&quality=45&auto=forma

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/dec/26/exceptionally-well-preserved-snack-bar-unearthed-in-pompeii

Edited by Daylight Oreos
  • paws up 6

RIP Angel 1,992
14 minutes ago, SLAG said:

I’ve visited the ruins and it really is a sad, tragic story. Hopefully I can visit next year and see it in person. 

I really wanna visit Pompeii in the future and see its ruins. It's so fascinating to think that the city and its people were once alive.

• paws up 1

RIP Angel 1,992
1 hour ago, GitHub said:

I saw this yesterday. So amazing how well preserved it was. They even found traces of food in the containers.

I've read somewhere that there was a feast going on in the city when Mt. Vesuvius erupted. The foodcarts must've been full when the tragedy happened.

Edited by Daylight Oreos
  • paws up 1

Popster to Popster 3,752
9 minutes ago, Daylight Oreos said:

I've read somewhere that there was a feast going on in the city when Mt. Vesuvius erupted. The foodcarts must've been full when the tragedy happened.

Oh that's really interesting. I didn't know that, but I just found an article and am reading now. Thanks!

• paws up 1

RIP Angel 1,992
5 minutes ago, NotDoctor said:

Makes them feel much more real and less mythologized 

Mte. I was just watching a couple of old footages during the Victorian era a couple of hours ago and seeing those people actually move and not just as stills makes them feel like they actually did exist. It's very ghostly.

• paws up 1

Pop-a-911-ster 38,812
1 minute ago, Daylight Oreos said:

imagine people 2,000 years from now discovering the Chromatica Jockstrap tho lol.

And being an exhibit in a modern museum :icant:

• lol 1
  • yaas, gaga 2

Kindness Admin 6,892

This is super cool. I hope we somehow find some wild technology that allows us see imprints of the past and revisit them. Sorta like how they do it in that Star Trek Picard show. That said I don't endorse that show, lol.

Moderator 4,653
1 hour ago, Daylight Oreos said:

imagine people 2,000 years from now discovering the Chromatica Jockstrap tho lol.

Even better! They would discover Artpop Act II and continuation of the Telephone video!

• lol 1