Haus Labs dragged! 'Triggering image' in ad

ItsGenuineGuy09

A Popster Is Born 12,029

https://www.today.com/popculture/lady-gaga-s-makeup-brand-criticized-triggering-ad-t205811

The advertisement, which was deleted about five hours after it was first posted, showed a "micro-tip" liquid eyeliner pen being used to draw slashes on a model's inner wrist.

In the comments section of the post, many said that it was upsetting, especially since there was no trigger warning in the caption.

"This brought back some bad memories for several people, including me," wrote one user. "Maybe reconsider location next time?"

A Popster Is Born 13,923

No lies detected, tho. All these posts should be reviewed prior to publication :classic_mellow:

Edited by danwasd

ARTPOPster 2,450

They posted it awhile ago when the micro tip liner came out and no one had an issue with it then 🤷‍♀️ It’s a bit of a stretch when you consider a) the quick “slashing” with the pen shows how the tips work differently than drawing a line slowly would, and b) it’s pretty standard for makeup to be tested or swatched on wrists

• paws up 1

Popster to Popster 3,889

You definitely have to tread lightly with things like this. I can see it going past people without them realizing but also once you see it, you see it. Yikes.

Edited by lavenderblondee
  • paws up 5

I see why people are offended but it seems to me like people like being outraged and offended by everything. As someone who has struggled with mental health issues I see how people found this problematic but it is being completely over exaggerated for something that had no ill intent. Twitter will find this extremely offensive as they do everything. It's good that we are in a time and age where we can speak against injustices, but getting overly offended just makes others not take you seriously when something serious actually happens

• paws up 3

12 minutes ago, thetea said:

I see why people are offended but it seems to me like people like being outraged and offended by everything. As someone who has struggled with mental health issues I see how people found this problematic but it is being completely over exaggerated for something that had no ill intent. Twitter will find this extremely offensive as they do everything. It's good that we are in a time and age where we can speak against injustices, but getting overly offended just makes others not take you seriously when something serious actually happens

Intent does not outweigh impact though. Who are we to say if people are overreacting or not? If they’re triggered by this, that’s not their fault at all. This case seems particularly clear and unambiguous. It’s dumb of her makeup company to have posted this.

• paws up 3
  • thanks 2

29 minutes ago, HeavyMetalLover said:

Intent does not outweigh impact though. Who are we to say if people are overreacting or not? If they’re triggered by this, that’s not their fault at all. This case seems particularly clear and unambiguous. It’s dumb of her makeup company to have posted this.

Thats not what I meant. I said that "I see why people are offended" but as we know people on twitter like to be offended. Most people would thing that its insensitive, especially considering the person who made the brand is open to her mental health issues and history of self harm, but a lot of people are just being offended because they like to be. If you go on twitter, people find problems with everything and just like being offended. It doesn't change that this was still insensitive though, so I agree with you there

ARTPOPster 2,177
1 hour ago, thetea said:

The thing is though is that everyone doesn't actually just get offended for no reason, there's always a reason, infact this doesn't appear to have very much of an "offended" view, this is more trauma induced. There should be no reason why this was aloud to be put out or made and while you might not see much wrong with it, there's people just like you that get sent back to that time in their life where they could've literally lost it, and I don't think anyone would ever want to be taken back to a time like that. So it's not just "everyone gets offended these days," it has to do with this image alone and it's an image that actually is problematic and shouldn't be looked into with closed eyes.

Edited by ProjectJoanne
  • paws up 3

ARTPOPster 1,319

As much as I understand where it triggered people, I also understand how this wasn’t caught before it was posted. 
inner arm swatches are nothing new in the makeup world, everyone does it. I can see how the black thin lines more resemble the details of self harm wounds but when I saw the pic it wasn’t where my mind went to first even though I’ve had experience with the subject. I just saw it as another swatch photo.
spacer.png

The fact that there’s a company selling swatch templates that look like this  ⬇️ To me is much more triggering 

spacer.png

A Popster Is Born 12,029
39 minutes ago, blastertoyo said:

As much as I understand where it triggered people, I also understand how this wasn’t caught before it was posted. 
inner arm swatches are nothing new in the makeup world, everyone does it. I can see how the black thin lines more resemble the details of self harm wounds but when I saw the pic it wasn’t where my mind went to first even though I’ve had experience with the subject. I just saw it as another swatch photo.
spacer.png

The fact that there’s a company selling swatch templates that look like this  ⬇️ To me is much more triggering 

spacer.png

200.gif

Spoiler

Lol jk, you're right :billie: it was OGH jumping on it. But I suppose with Gaga and everything she does it appeals to SJW so much you can put yourself in a sore spot easily

1 hour ago, ProjectJoanne said:

The thing is though is that everyone doesn't actually just get offended for no reason, there's always a reason, infact this doesn't appear to have very much of an "offended" view, this is more trauma induced. There should be no reason why this was aloud to be put out or made and while you might not see much wrong with it, there's people just like you that get sent back to that time in their life where they could've literally lost it, and I don't think anyone would ever want to be taken back to a time like that. So it's not just "everyone gets offended these days," it has to do with this image alone and it's an image that actually is problematic and shouldn't be looked into with closed eyes.

I totally understand what you're saying, but I've seen this for myself. A lot of people are getting offended because they like to have something to be offended over, or they just have a problem with gaga or Haus Labs. I know that people are genuinely offended and it brings traumatic memories back to them but a lot of people are just getting offended because they have some vendetta against gaga or Haus Labs. I'm not trying to invalidate anyones emotions, or make them feel like they are being overdramatic, because if this triggers you than you have the right to speak out, but a lot of people are just using this as an excuse to hate on Gaga, and be offended. 

• paws up 1

2 hours ago, HeavyMetalLover said:

And I totally agree with this, I think its amazing that we are more free to speak out against injustices as a society nowadays, but I also feel like a lot of people are just using this as an opportunity to be offended or hate on Gaga and Haus Labs. I'm not trying to invalidate people's emotions if this genuinely offends you and/or brings back traumatic memories, but what I am talking about is people who are just weaponising this mistake against Gaga and Haus Labs to prove their point. 

Just now, Gypsy Guy Holland said:

I mean makeup swatches on the inner arm are common the reaction seems a little dramatic I mean we all know there was no I’ll intent it’s eyeliner. But I guess companies have to be careful everything is so overly-scrutinized and “offensive” now. :sweat:

It’s more about being triggered - having an involuntary response that can cause panic - more so than it is offense.

• thanks 1