Do (did) you enjoy PE/athletics class?

BenG

Do (did) you?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Respond.

Pop-a-911-ster 21,630

Our PE classes were really badly organised and the teachers didn't consider the fact that everyone has different abilities and strengths. It was really unfair as well, because the boys of our class pretty much only played football, but we, girls, were graded almost every lesson for different tasks. I have asthma and struggled with running a lot back in school, but my teacher treated that as something non-important. I had some professional athletes in my class, and they were the standard for getting an A, which was impossible for most of us. Some of the lessons were degrading and drove me away from liking sports. I only liked skiing courses, because I enjoy skiing and I'm good at it. After HS I slowly started liking sports again, because I'm able to work out the way I like, and do the things that are right for me and my body. I even like jogging now, because I can pick my own tempo and distance, and don't have to pass out from an asthma attack each time I go running, only to have the teacher laugh at me and yell at me to keep running. 

• paws up 4

Gaming Leader 1,283
x2

I'm gonna go with no.

The only part I enjoyed was the mile, but everything else, no.

I hated the system. You would get an F if you don't pass the push ups or sit ups, while there are people who aren't capable of doing that. I hated the rules. I remember doing sit ups incorrectly and I was forced to go to morning PE class to get all the points I didn't get. :awkney:

• paws up 1

Moderator 3,690
54 minutes ago, donatellab said:

It was really unfair as well, because the boys of our class pretty much only played football, but we, girls, were graded almost every lesson for different tasks.

Literally why was this the same in my school, #JustEstonianThings

• thanks 1

Pop-a-911-ster 21,630
5 minutes ago, Joesuda said:

Literally why was this the same in my school, #JustEstonianThings

Literally most girls in our class were crying because they didn’t have the courage to do backflips on old wooden rails, while the boys were just chilling and didn’t even have to attend half of the lessons. 

• paws up 1

The Popster 24

Well, while I was living in Greece, we didn't take PE seriously, so it was always nice to have some "time off" during school with my friends. Then I moved to Germany, and the first school I went to was a DISASTER! I would get bullied for being gay etc. so I used to just not go and miss PE class. I didn't really care tbh and I explained to my teacher why I never went. He was so understanding! After I finished that year, I had to change schools. PE class was SOOOO GOOOOD. The guys were so chill and we'd make a lot of jokes, especially in the locker room :romance: haha . I kinda miss that class tbh. 

PE was still my least favorite part of the school though. I never really understood why it is mandatory. 

• lol 1

Popster to Popster 4,584

I'm gonna say no cuz for the vast majority of the time I hated it.  BUT my junior/senior years we got to choose what we wanted to do so I basically always chose to walk the track with my friends and gossip and that was pretty great :billie:

• lol 5

Pop-a-911-ster 39,320
3 minutes ago, NotDoctor said:

I'm gonna say no cuz for the vast majority of the time I hated it.  BUT my junior/senior years we got to choose what we wanted to do so I basically always chose to walk the track with my friends and gossip and that was pretty great :billie:

omg :creepin:

• lol 1

13 minutes ago, BenG said:

@artgagapop care to elaborate? :billiecat:

idk what classes y'all went but you make it sound like torture :icant:
I always just saw it like 1 hour free time from boring school work and i have always liked sports so it was pretty fun much of the times and half of the time they were just making us do different kind of games that included elements of different sports so it wasn't the same boring thing every week :enigma:

• lol 1

Popster to Popster 3,752

You're asking a group of people who spend all day on the internet :billie:

Generally no, aside from:

1. The yearly unit on the Presidential Physical Fitness test (like a decathlon type thing) because I was really good at it. This question prompted me to look it up and I found an article about it entitled, "A brief history of the bizarre and sadistic Presidential Fitness Test".

2. Soccer

14 minutes ago, Blown Away said:

I loved them. Unless it was soccer

haha totally opposite ::P:

• paws up 1
  • lol 1

Popstanne 5,076

This was the subject I dreaded the most. It wasn't about physical health and only served to make me hate physical activity for a long time. The worst was picking teams and being almost always picked last because I was clumsy and shy. 

Thankfully, as an adult, I now have discovered physical activity that I like and am decent at, but PE class made me feel like I had no hope of ever being in shape. It really impacted my self-esteem. 

The best part of PE was in elementary school when we played with parachutes. 

• paws up 2

Popster to Popster 3,752
1 minute ago, BenG said:

I honestly think many PE teachers failed at their jobs :mess:

My PE teachers always seemed to be nearing retirement. I remember one would fall asleep reffing games :dead:

• lol 1

Popster to Popster 4,584
5 minutes ago, Franch Toast said:

This was the subject I dreaded the most. It wasn't about physical health and only served to make me hate physical activity for a long time. The worst was picking teams and being almost always picked last because I was clumsy and shy. 

Thankfully, as an adult, I now have discovered physical activity that I like and am decent at, but PE class made me feel like I had no hope of ever being in shape. It really impacted my self-esteem. 

The best part of PE was in elementary school when we played with parachutes. 

This is me 100% (outside of the gossip walk I mentioned above). 

Those parachutes were the BOMB

• yaas, gaga 1

Popster to Popster 3,689
5 hours ago, KatieJudasGaga4 said:

I'm gonna go with no.

The only part I enjoyed was the mile, but everything else, no.

I hated the system. You would get an F if you don't pass the push ups or sit ups, while there are people who aren't capable of doing that. I hated the rules. I remember doing sit ups incorrectly and I was forced to go to morning PE class to get all the points I didn't get. :awkney:

the once per year requirement which always came as a surprise to the amusement of the gym teachers. Most in my classes dreaded it, but I loved it as well since running was the one thing I was actually good at :oscar:

But yikes, a graded PE class seems like no fun and a total turnoff. I can see why you disliked it. I am just learning how to do a sit-up correctly :billie: as core exercises have never been my strong suit. 

• paws up 1