Food/items only popular in your country?

boobatella

Pop-a-911-ster 20,782

I saw this thread on another cult site and decided to steal the idea. Here you can share foods/items that are only popular or used in your country or culture.

Here’s some from Estonia:

- Blood sausage

- Meat jelly   

- Black bread

- Kama flour - basically a flour which consists of different grinded grains. It kinda tastes like sawdust, but it’s amazing when eaten with yoghurt and berries.

spacer.png

• paws up 3
  • yaas, gaga 2

Moderator 3,690

Also from Estonia - kohuke. It really does not have a good English translation - curd snack is the most common translation. It has a centre that is filled with curd cheese and sugar and some other stuff and then it is covered with chocolate. Honestly it is so good. Kohuke | Traditional Cheese Dessert From Estonia, Baltic

• yaas, gaga 4

Popster to Popster 3,752
3 hours ago, Joesuda said:

Also from Estonia - kohuke. It really does not have a good English translation - curd snack is the most common translation. It has a centre that is filled with curd cheese and sugar and some other stuff and then it is covered with chocolate. Honestly it is so good. Kohuke | Traditional Cheese Dessert From Estonia, Baltic

this looks really good :bradley:

U.S. maybe peanut butter & jelly sandwiches and root beer? I heard the latter tastes like medicine to a lot of people.

Not that PB&J are unknown in other countries, but I didn't get the sense they are as ubiquitous as in the U.S.

Edited by GitHub
fix: clarity
  • yaas, gaga 2

Moderator 3,690
37 minutes ago, GitHub said:

root beer? I heard the latter tastes like medicine to a lot of people.

There is something similar to root beer in Eastern Europe/Slavic cuisine - kvass/kali. Or so I've heard that they taste kind of similar, but are made differently and have a difference in taste. 

• paws up 1

Popster to Popster 3,689
4 hours ago, donatellab said:

I saw this thread on another cult site and decided to steal the idea. Here you can share foods/items that are only popular or used in your country or culture.

Here’s some from Estonia:

- Blood sausage

- Meat jelly   

- Black bread

- Kama flour - basically a flour which consists of different grinded grains. It kinda tastes like sawdust, but it’s amazing when eaten with yoghurt and berries.

spacer.png

Wow that flour looks great! I love graham cracker crumbs as a topping on yogurt. but would much rather prefer this healthier option.

As said already, the US basically invented industrial agriculture and processed foods and pretty much erased indigenous growing practices and foods. I'm having difficulty thinking of anything specific :dead: On the other hand, it is nice to be exposed to a melting pot of different cuisines, but quality can vary quite a bit

• yaas, gaga 1

Kindness Admin 6,892
2 hours ago, GitHub said:

this looks really good :bradley:

U.S. maybe peanut butter & jelly sandwiches and root beer? I heard the latter tastes like medicine to a lot of people.

Not that PB&J are unknown in other countries, but I didn't get the sense they are as ubiquitous as in the U.S.

I don't drink soda, but like once a year I will have a freshly brewed glass fo root beer. it's SO GOOD. WHO compares it to medicine? :war:

I will say the best American foods to me are S'mores and lobster rolls. Iconic. Perfection.

smores GIF

lobster roll GIF by Food Network Canada

• paws up 1
  • yaas, gaga 1

Popster to Popster 3,752
34 minutes ago, admin said:

I don't drink soda, but like once a year I will have a freshly brewed glass fo root beer. it's SO GOOD. WHO compares it to medicine? :war:

I will say the best American foods to me are S'mores and lobster rolls. Iconic. Perfection.

smores GIF

lobster roll GIF by Food Network Canada

Yeah I don't drink soda either, but like twice every summer when it's like 90 degrees in my apt, I'll crave a root beer float. It's always almost worth the diabetes risk.

• lol 1
  • yaas, gaga 1

2 hours ago, Dirkje said:

I'm Dutch. We have stroopwafels, herring, liquorice, stamppot! 

Omg, I love stroopwafels. It's been ages since I ate those. And liquorice is amazing.

In Belgium we have cuberdons, they are heavenly

geldhof-cuberdons-500g-110-lb.jpg

• paws up 1

Kindness Admin 6,892
51 minutes ago, Blown Away said:

Omg, I love stroopwafels. It's been ages since I ate those. And liquorice is amazing.

In Belgium we have cuberdons, they are heavenly

geldhof-cuberdons-500g-110-lb.jpg

Not going to lie, this sorta creeps me out. Looks like a purple finger that you've slashed open to suck out the insides. :enigma:

• lol 3

Popster to Popster 3,752
1 hour ago, Starboy said:

I feel like sloppy joes are only consumed in the U.S. but they’re not that popular

you just reminded me how long it's been since I had a sloppy joe :bradley:
a food that both looks and sounds disgusting but is ultimately amazing :bradley:

• lol 1

Kindness Admin 6,892
7 hours ago, GitHub said:

you just reminded me how long it's been since I had a sloppy joe :bradley:
a food that both looks and sounds disgusting but is ultimately amazing :bradley:

Same actually. I did love them growing up but I think I disliked the last one I had. I wouldn't mind an artisan sloppy Joe tbh. But likely made of different bits than the usual :billiecat:

• paws up 1

i'm from new zealand, and for me it's marmite. it's the new zealand equivalent of vegemite, i personally prefer vegemite.

sanitarium-marmite-yeast-spread.jpg

one that's from my culture is called pitako, it's made of tapioca starch, sugar, hand squeezed coconut cream and coconut shavings. it kind of looks like this, but whoever cooked this can't cook, they overcooked it

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-24%20at%2010.45.56%20pm-0-1200-0-0.png?k=75a120fb92

• yaas, gaga 1

ARTPOPster 1,672

holy moly there's a lot:

- Puto Bumbong: Filipino purple rice cake steamed in bamboo tubes. It is traditionally sold during the Christmas season and I think they add ube (yam in english i think) in there and it's delicioussssssssssss

puto-bumbong-from-via-mare.jpg

- Bibingka: It is a subtype of kakanin (rice cakes) in Philippine cuisine and people here usually eat it during Christmas season and it's so delicious omggggg
1290668835-lourdes_church.jpg

- Halo-Halo: It means "mixture" or "mixed" (literally "mix-mix") in english lmao, and sometimes it's also spelled as haluhalo, is a popular cold dessert in the Philippines made up of crushed ice, evaporated milk or condensed milk, and various ingredients including, ube, sweetened beans, coconut strips, sago, gulaman (agar), pinipig rice, boiled taro or soft yams in cubes, fruit slices, flan, and topped with a scoop of ube ice cream and yeah i love this sfm

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4tefheqUrgBm9cyhUzc_

also, there's many more and i can't list them all here lol

Edited by A Little Monsterrr
  • paws up 2
  • yaas, gaga 3

Popster to Popster 3,689
8 hours ago, A Little Monsterrr said:

I'll help you out :ohyes:

Filipino cuisine is so good and underrated imo. Christmas at a filipino household is an experience 

Some of my favorites:

- Champorado (chocolate rice porridge)

champorado-recipe.jpg

- Ginataang Bilo bilo (or halo-halo) - rice balls, plantains, sweet potatoes, tapioca pearls cooked in sweet coconut milk

bilo-bilo.jpg

- Any cassava dessert like this cake

picPXWA6Y.jpg

Also pancit or noodle dishes are amazing too!

• paws up 2
  • yaas, gaga 1

Kindness Admin 6,892
8 hours ago, A Little Monsterrr said:

holy moly there's a lot:

- Puto Bumbong: Filipino purple rice cake steamed in bamboo tubes. It is traditionally sold during the Christmas season and I think they add ube (yam in english i think) in there and it's delicioussssssssssss

puto-bumbong-from-via-mare.jpg

- Bibingka: It is a subtype of kakanin (rice cakes) in Philippine cuisine and people here usually eat it during Christmas season and it's so delicious omggggg
1290668835-lourdes_church.jpg

- Halo-Halo: It means "mixture" or "mixed" (literally "mix-mix") in english lmao, and sometimes it's also spelled as haluhalo, is a popular cold dessert in the Philippines made up of crushed ice, evaporated milk or condensed milk, and various ingredients including, ube, sweetened beans, coconut strips, sago, gulaman (agar), pinipig rice, boiled taro or soft yams in cubes, fruit slices, flan, and topped with a scoop of ube ice cream and yeah i love this sfm

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR4tefheqUrgBm9cyhUzc_

Yaaasss ube. I try to bake with it sometimes. I tried to offer my grandpa an ube cake (he is from the Filipinos) and he was like, “I hate sweets” mess. 

Kindness Admin 6,892
36 minutes ago, NYNJ Nights said:

Also pancit or noodle dishes are amazing too!

Yaaass. Pancit is the best. That was my fave dish growing up and one of the only non-baked foods I’ll make. Ha. That and lumpia. 

• yaas, gaga 1

Pop-a-911-ster 38,812
50 minutes ago, admin said:

Yaaasss ube. I try to bake with it sometimes. I tried to offer my grandpa an ube cake (he is from the Filipinos) and he was like, “I hate sweets” mess. 

Are you sure you're related to grandpa yeti?

• lol 1

Popstanne 5,076

I remember watching a video where people in other countries tried American candy and found most of it disgusting. As I recall, Twizzlers ("red licorice") were considered particularly unappealing. 

As already has been mentioned, I'm also going to say processed "cheese product" like Velveeta, canned cheese, Cheez-Whiz, and the like. (I don't eat these things either, but I feel like they're fairly popular.) 

• lol 1