POLL: Which DWYW Versions Would Have Been Better In Sucess

JJ Monster

New Poll: Which Do What U Want Versions Would Have Been More Successful Than The Original?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Here's The Versions

• Do What U Want (Solo)
    • Do What U Want with Xtina
    • Rumored: Do What U Want with Usher

Moderator 6,288

The R Kelly one would’ve been successful if it weren’t for his crimes. Or even if they would’ve made a decent video and not the messy one they made then had to trash. Usher would’ve definitely been a great replacement for Kelly and I think it would’ve smashed. 

The Xtina version is cute but I feel like that second verse isn’t as strong. The way the melody changed in the original made more sense. It probably would’ve done decent if released. Idk.

• paws up 1

The Fame Popster 371
17 minutes ago, SLAG said:

The R Kelly one would’ve been successful if it weren’t for his crimes. Or even if they would’ve made a decent video and not the messy one they made then had to trash. Usher would’ve definitely been a great replacement for Kelly and I think it would’ve smashed. 

The Xtina version is cute but I feel like that second verse isn’t as strong. The way the melody changed in the original made more sense. It probably would’ve done decent if released. Idk.

I completely agree with you and I am so so so so glad the music video was never released because it would have destroyed her career. And the video miss represented what the song actually means and is bad enough as it is that the general public thought back then it was a sexual song but it isn't. Definitely the Usher one would have smashed and considering how big he was then. Though the song was actually ahead of it's time because of the meaning of the song. And it would have been perfect for a 2020 release and considering Stupid Love has a similar production to DWUW:billie:

Edited by JJ Monster
  • paws up 1

ARTPOPster 1,319
41 minutes ago, SLAG said:

Honestly this, also the second verse lyrics in the solo/xtina version just aren’t as good as the rkelly version 

My bones hurt from all the shows
But I don't feel the pain, 'cause I'm a pro
I, I sink in
Then I'm okay
'Cause my body belongs to you when I'm on stage
Oh-oh

Just feels clunky, the whole rhythm is off other than the first two lines and it sings really awkward 

I’d much rather have an usher version with the rkelly lyrics 

• paws up 1
  • thanks 1

Popster to Popster 3,889

I love DWYW and I think a solo would of been just fine but I would of loved to hear an Usher version. As a 90's baby, I grew up loving Usher, and I'd be curious to see how that would of sounded. 

• paws up 3
  • yaas, gaga 1

Popster to Popster 3,689
32 minutes ago, lavenderblondee said:

I love DWYW and I think a solo would of been just fine but I would of loved to hear an Usher version. As a 90's baby, I grew up loving Usher, and I'd be curious to see how that would of sounded. 

THIS.

Plus: While the Xtina one was a nice duet and I’m glad we have it as a different take on the song, I don’t think Xtina elevates the song or adds anything that Gaga could have done herself. When watching the performance it seemed to me that Gaga and Xtina were both trying to be the dominant voice rather than complimenting each other like Ari and Gaga do perfectly in ROM

• paws up 1
  • yaas, gaga 1

A Popster Is Born 12,029
10 hours ago, SLAG said:

this ^^^

The R Kelly one showed a stronger start than even Applause on iTunes, thats why they swapped it. I am not usually one for coming up with excuses about promo or it had no mv, but the song genuinely had alot of potential that was scuppered by lack of MV and a complete era blackout following ARTPOP's release until the Xtina performance - it needed a MV and promo in the way that MR got promo all the way to Feb 2014 as it was the only hit from that album.

Fun Fact:

Originally DWUW was always going to be solo and not be a promo single, however, after the VMAs robin thicke pulled out of being the feature from s£*xx dreams. Otherwise Interscope probably would've made that the single, and i really think it could've smashed even harder, as Robin was in a much better place than R Kelly AND had a concurrent smash at the same time. It'd have been abit like Ari on Chromatica - a waste, but then that's the ARTPOP era for ya

• paws up 2

I think the song would've smashed with Usher as the feature. He didn't have the controversy around him and that's the exact thing that hurt DWUW.

The solo/Christina version lacked punch. It really needed a male R&B star feature.

• paws up 3

The Fame Popster 371
18 hours ago, blastertoyo said:

Honestly this, also the second verse lyrics in the solo/xtina version just aren’t as good as the rkelly version 

My bones hurt from all the shows
But I don't feel the pain, 'cause I'm a pro
I, I sink in
Then I'm okay
'Cause my body belongs to you when I'm on stage
Oh-oh

Just feels clunky, the whole rhythm is off other than the first two lines and it sings really awkward 

I’d much rather have an usher version with the rkelly lyrics 

That's true

The Fame Popster 371
18 hours ago, lavenderblondee said:

I'm really surprised they didn't push it for Usher because both of them get along very well?

• paws up 1

The Fame Popster 371
17 hours ago, nynj nights said:

THIS.

Plus: While the Xtina one was a nice duet and I’m glad we have it as a different take on the song, I don’t think Xtina elevates the song or adds anything that Gaga could have done herself. When watching the performance it seemed to me that Gaga and Xtina were both trying to be the dominant voice rather than complimenting each other like Ari and Gaga do perfectly in ROM

Almost like a competition

The Fame Popster 371
8 hours ago, ItsGenuineGuy09 said:

this ^^^

The R Kelly one showed a stronger start than even Applause on iTunes, thats why they swapped it. I am not usually one for coming up with excuses about promo or it had no mv, but the song genuinely had alot of potential that was scuppered by lack of MV and a complete era blackout following ARTPOP's release until the Xtina performance - it needed a MV and promo in the way that MR got promo all the way to Feb 2014 as it was the only hit from that album.

Fun Fact:

Originally DWUW was always going to be solo and not be a promo single, however, after the VMAs robin thicke pulled out of being the feature from s£*xx dreams. Otherwise Interscope probably would've made that the single, and i really think it could've smashed even harder, as Robin was in a much better place than R Kelly AND had a concurrent smash at the same time. It'd have been abit like Ari on Chromatica - a waste, but then that's the ARTPOP era for ya

Very interesting, and it's almost like Chromatica was what ARTPOP was going to be:gaga-scream:

• paws up 1

The Fame Popster 371
7 hours ago, Blown Away said:

I think the song would've smashed with Usher as the feature. He didn't have the controversy around him and that's the exact thing that hurt DWUW.

The solo/Christina version lacked punch. It really needed a male R&B star feature.

Because the song has a very R&B sound to it!

The Fame Popster 296
18 hours ago, ItsGenuineGuy09 said:

this ^^^

Fun Fact:

I get non-fans thinking ARTPOP was a flop given the 'official' narrative; however, for fans to rewrite history and say things like Applause = Perfect Illusion / DWUW ("the only hit from [ARTPOP]") = Million Reasons, is insane. 2 singles that peaked #4 (Applause) + #13 (DWUW) with +/- 20 weeks (despite leaks, rushed releases, missing content, packed Pop field) is incomparable to 1 #15 single (< 10 weeks) + 1 that would've peaked outside < Top 40 without SBHTS.

ARTPOP fan-fic is so over the top. Gaga was only slightly less of a force than she'd been during BTW from Aug - Dec 2013: 2 Radio hits, #4 lead single, #32 + #8 promo singles, successful / critically acclaimed shows (iTunes, artRAVE), #13 2nd single, #1 album. Receipts prove it was an objectively solid Pop era, though of course it could've been stronger.

The battle with Katy overshadowed Applause, but it was a hit nonetheless. DWUW charted 19 wks and didn't peak on Radio until Jan 2014, yet never out-peaked its #13 debut - that's an epic failure, and sloppy promo was the obvious culprit. Its sales were strongest before impacting Radio, and its streaming #s were never competitive due to a lack of content. It lingered 12 - 25 and could've gone Top 10 with just an LV in early Nov. With Radio, LV, MV, Remix, it would've been Top 5.

As noted, the blackout after the album ultimately killed ARTPOP off - a mistake that's been repeated every cycle since. You can't expect longevity / sustained interest with (max) 2 singles. She should've given DWUW a final push (it was peaking on Radio) OR released Gypsy in Jan w/ a Grammys performance, before debuting Brooklyn Nights at her acclaimed, NYC-themed set at Roseland in March. 

In a perfect world, the following would've supported an extremely successful era, IMO:

1) Applause (Single + LV) = Aug 03, 2013 / MV = Aug 10, 2013
2) Aura (Promo Single + MV) = Sep 02, 2013
3) DWUW ft. RK (Single + LV) = Oct 14, 2013 / MV = Nov 11, 2013 / Remix = Dec 09, 2013
4) Dope (Promo Single + LV) = Nov 04, 2013
-- ARTPOP --
5) Venus (European Single + MV) = Nov 25, 2013
6) Gypsy (Single + LV + Grammys Performance) = Jan 24, 2014
7) Brooklyn Nights (Single + LV + Roseland Performance) = Mar 28, 2014
-- ARTPOP ACT II -- 

I'd have liked to have seen the solo DWUW released as the 2nd single (the 2nd verse is about disassociating and allowing her body to be used - the song is a perfect fit for the 'girl behind the aura' theme of the album and very Princess Die, etc.), followed by a remix with an User-like singer using lyrics that weren't AS overtly sexual. Getting an R&B smash was a definite, and rare, smart (attempted) move. 

The Fame Popster 371
22 hours ago, JustJames said:

I get non-fans thinking ARTPOP was a flop given the 'official' narrative; however, for fans to rewrite history and say things like Applause = Perfect Illusion / DWUW ("the only hit from [ARTPOP]") = Million Reasons, is insane. 2 singles that peaked #4 (Applause) + #13 (DWUW) with +/- 20 weeks (despite leaks, rushed releases, missing content, packed Pop field) is incomparable to 1 #15 single (< 10 weeks) + 1 that would've peaked outside < Top 40 without SBHTS.

ARTPOP fan-fic is so over the top. Gaga was only slightly less of a force than she'd been during BTW from Aug - Dec 2013: 2 Radio hits, #4 lead single, #32 + #8 promo singles, successful / critically acclaimed shows (iTunes, artRAVE), #13 2nd single, #1 album. Receipts prove it was an objectively solid Pop era, though of course it could've been stronger.

The battle with Katy overshadowed Applause, but it was a hit nonetheless. DWUW charted 19 wks and didn't peak on Radio until Jan 2014, yet never out-peaked its #13 debut - that's an epic failure, and sloppy promo was the obvious culprit. Its sales were strongest before impacting Radio, and its streaming #s were never competitive due to a lack of content. It lingered 12 - 25 and could've gone Top 10 with just an LV in early Nov. With Radio, LV, MV, Remix, it would've been Top 5.

As noted, the blackout after the album ultimately killed ARTPOP off - a mistake that's been repeated every cycle since. You can't expect longevity / sustained interest with (max) 2 singles. She should've given DWUW a final push (it was peaking on Radio) OR released Gypsy in Jan w/ a Grammys performance, before debuting Brooklyn Nights at her acclaimed, NYC-themed set at Roseland in March. 

In a perfect world, the following would've supported an extremely successful era, IMO:

1) Applause (Single + LV) = Aug 03, 2013 / MV = Aug 10, 2013
2) Aura (Promo Single + MV) = Sep 02, 2013
3) DWUW ft. RK (Single + LV) = Oct 14, 2013 / MV = Nov 11, 2013 / Remix = Dec 09, 2013
4) Dope (Promo Single + LV) = Nov 04, 2013
-- ARTPOP --
5) Venus (European Single + MV) = Nov 25, 2013
6) Gypsy (Single + LV + Grammys Performance) = Jan 24, 2014
7) Brooklyn Nights (Single + LV + Roseland Performance) = Mar 28, 2014
-- ARTPOP ACT II -- 

I'd have liked to have seen the solo DWUW released as the 2nd single (the 2nd verse is about disassociating and allowing her body to be used - the song is a perfect fit for the 'girl behind the aura' theme of the album and very Princess Die, etc.), followed by a remix with an User-like singer using lyrics that weren't AS overtly sexual. Getting an R&B smash was a definite, and rare, smart (attempted) move. 

This is everything well done perfect what you said! And have you seen this about all of her cancelled singles from her past albums? https://ladygaga.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Lady_Gaga_cancelled_singles

and this?

Popster to Popster 3,812

Do What You want with Christina is 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

• thanks 1
  • yaas, gaga 1