Pride Flag Has Been Modified Again, Another New Section Added

blastertoyo

ARTPOPster 1,319

spacer.png

A new section has been added to the inclusive pride flag, a yellow triangle with a purple circle to represent the intersex community. 

I personally think it’s getting a bit much, not only do these communities have their own flags already, the rainbow flag in itself is meant to be representative of all members of the LGBTQIA2+ community. I completely understand bringing focus to the trailblazing trans and BIPOC community and giving them the attention they deserve when the flag was amended with a section for them. 
Just from a design perspective I think it’s ugly to have two yellow sections and add a purple circle when the rainbow literally already has yellow and purple. While I understand not everybody who is intersex identifies with this, there have been many intersex individuals who have stated they do not wish to be/ aren’t members of the lgbtq+ community, so it seems like this was definitely an odd choice, especially positioning the new section in a way that seems to imply that the intersex community is somehow more important and impactful than trans and bipoc. It just seems like a joke now to have to add a new section for every single community when the essence of the flag is that everyone overlaps and everyone is included in the community.

let me know what you think :enigma:

• paws up 1

Community Leader 454

I am all about increasing visibility, representation, and better care in programs, services, mental health care, media representation etc of all communities. But in my opinion it’s becoming a bit of an eye sore. I really like the intersectionality one with the trans and bipoc inclusion.

Pop-a-911-ster 38,812
2 minutes ago, Delusional said:

I don’t think of the pride flag as “the colours represent different communities” I see it as a symbol for spectrum. How everyone is different like the colours of a rainbow and how everyone is accepted. That’s all I’ll say because I’m still formulating a view I guess

Exactly. Some people took the colours too literally and the first modification opened Pandora's box. Now every community wants their own inclusion.

• paws up 2

ARTPOPster 1,319
27 minutes ago, Delusional said:

I don’t think of the pride flag as “the colours represent different communities”

Cuz it isn’t lol

each individual community has their own flag and the rainbow is “inclusive of them all” in intention

spacer.png

• paws up 1

Moderator 6,288

In my opinion, the original rainbow flag was the perfect symbol for the LBTQUA+ community as a whole. There’s really no need to modify it to highlight specific group and that kinda defeats the purpose. 

• paws up 1

Community Leader 2,817

It won’t catch on but it’s no skin off my back. If intersex people want a flag that gives them a shoutout then let them have it! Doesn’t hurt the rest of us at all. They are included in the pride flag itself as a whole, but so are trans people and they have their own lil part of it with the Progress flag. I’m not bothered by it but whoever designed it could’ve played with it a bit more. 

• thanks 1

ARTPOPster 1,319
4 minutes ago, SLAG said:

In my opinion, the original rainbow flag was the perfect symbol for the LBTQUA+ community as a whole. There’s really no need to modify it to highlight specific group and that kinda defeats the purpose. 

Yea it makes perfect sense as a community specific flag, much like the lipstick lesbian flag, but for anyone to claim that this should be the new standard for all pride flags completely defeats the purpose of inclusion in the first place since it’s a subdivision of a subdivision in the community, as if there can’t be intersections within the intersex community 

ARTPOPster 2,173
1 hour ago, blastertoyo said:

Cuz it isn’t lol

each individual community has their own flag and the rainbow is “inclusive of them all” in intention

spacer.png

The way “Hetero pride” is just flat black and white stripes :dead:

Edited by ProjectJoanne
  • lol 1

8 hours ago, Joannesrats said:

It won’t catch on but it’s no skin off my back. If intersex people want a flag that gives them a shoutout then let them have it! Doesn’t hurt the rest of us at all. They are included in the pride flag itself as a whole, but so are trans people and they have their own lil part of it with the Progress flag. I’m not bothered by it but whoever designed it could’ve played with it a bit more. 

Until people on Twitter start cancelling people for using the traditional pride flag and excluding certain communities 😂

ARTPOPster 1,476

Relax y'all. You can use whichever flags you like. Many people still use the plain iconic rainbow flag. Many use the one with trans and BIPOC arrows. Some will now use the intersex version.

Plurality of thought and expression is fine. People should fly whatever they feel is best. And by the way, alternate versions have existed for a while and no one was "cancelled" for flying the original. ::-):

• thanks 1

Community Leader 2,817
7 hours ago, justhislife said:

Until people on Twitter start cancelling people for using the traditional pride flag and excluding certain communities 😂

That’s not real life, I’m not exactly concerned with people on Twitter that don’t have perspective on anything 

• thanks 1
  • love 1

The Fame Popster 382

The original is already enough, as it represents the whole LGBTQ+ community. If people keep adding colors, soon we'll just have a jumble of stripes that is ugly and trying too hard to be inclusive when that is what the original does.