ADHD and Working?

Joannesrats

Community Leader 2,817

so I was diagnosed with S-E-V-E-R-E ADHD this past year and looking back it makes sense. I struggled through high school and college and barely graduated both and always had all the classic symptoms of internal hyperactivity, but not much external manifestation. Now that I know this, I'm on medication for it and it's helping somewhat, but I'm still having trouble focusing at work and stuff. I work from home and I just sit at a computer all day so distractions are very easy for me to come upon and get distracted by, including in my workflow. Does anyone have experience with ADHD and trying to channel your focus/hyperfocus into one area? I'm still have problems and it doesn't help that i'm fairly new and still not entirely comfortable in my position yet

• paws up 1
  • hugs 2

Popster to Popster 4,583
35 minutes ago, Joannesrats said:

so I was diagnosed with S-E-V-E-R-E ADHD this past year and looking back it makes sense. I struggled through high school and college and barely graduated both and always had all the classic symptoms of internal hyperactivity, but not much external manifestation. Now that I know this, I'm on medication for it and it's helping somewhat, but I'm still having trouble focusing at work and stuff. I work from home and I just sit at a computer all day so distractions are very easy for me to come upon and get distracted by, including in my workflow. Does anyone have experience with ADHD and trying to channel your focus/hyperfocus into one area? I'm still have problems and it doesn't help that i'm fairly new and still not entirely comfortable in my position yet

A little background on myself: I have more moderate ADHD (type inattentive) and I'm not currently medicated but I was for a while (and that's a whole other story).  I'm always working from home these days from a computer.

What helped me might sound kind basic but:

• My desk is in the corner of a room with windows that are covered so visual distractions are at a minimum
  • I have big noise canceling headphones and I constantly have electronic music or anything "noisy" because I've found that keeps part of my focus better controlled.  The antsy part of my brain seems less agitated and easy to distract if I have thumping music going and can't hear the outside world very well
  • I try to have a pretty strict routine with specific breaks built in where I can do something else like ride my indoor bike or read an article or something completely different from work
  • I try not to do anything else at my desk but work, so I intrinsically have that mindset when I'm here
  • I have things to fidget with or rough woven blankets to run my hands over.  The stimulus on my hands during meetings and stuff helps my focus

I'll keep thinking and let you know if I think of anything else

Edited by NotDoctor
  • paws up 5

Gaming Leader 8,440

I have severe ADHD too (hyperactivity), and I'm taking pills since I was a child (for nearly 13 years now). You have to find something you are passionnate about in your work, that way, you always manage to get it done. You also want to keep a clean space for your work, and organize stuff well so you don't end up looking for half of your stuff all the time. Allow yourself to have breaks, to relax and to take the edge off like going on your phone in another room, but get yourself back up to work again. Also, give yourself timeframes. Think about how proud of yourself you will be after you're done, no matther how much more effort you have to put in more than others, the result will pay off on the long-run. I believe in you !

• paws up 2
  • hugs 2

Popster to Popster 3,889

Following this thread because I have extreme ADD and it's very hard. I can barely watch a movie without doing something else.

It really does affect my work performance (I make sure the job is done, but I struggle  since I have an office job and usually am not forced to do something within a certain amount of time and having that freedom is not the best) but I hate the way I feel on adderall. I have to try a different approach/different medication. I haven't been on adderall since I was a kid, so I've just been NOT handling it. It's not fun, but I hate being on medication, but I may have to eventually. 

• hugs 4

Community Leader 2,817
6 hours ago, lavenderblondee said:

Following this thread because I have extreme ADD and it's very hard. I can barely watch a movie without doing something else.

It really does affect my work performance (I make sure the job is done, but I struggle  since I have an office job and usually am not forced to do something within a certain amount of time and having that freedom is not the best) but I hate the way I feel on adderall. I have to try a different approach/different medication. I haven't been on adderall since I was a kid, so I've just been NOT handling it. It's not fun, but I hate being on medication, but I may have to eventually. 

Adderall is the only medication that has ever made me feel actually present. There are a ton of medications on the market now, but I understand your trepidation towards medication. Just know there might be one that works wonders for you without the bad side effects. :gaga-thanks:

• hugs 1

Popster This Way 821

I found out I had ADHD about a month ago. Got tested for it and I'm now on medication. 

Definitely talk to your doctor about meds if you aren't already on them. 

• paws up 2

Kindness Admin 6,892

I don't have personal experience, but know a lot of friends who take diff meds and meet regularly with their doctors. Hugs to all. 

cats hugging GIF

The Popster 162

I’m here for tips because both me and my teachers tried telling my parents growing up but mental health has always been disregarded in my home. I can’t watch anything without getting distracted by something, and having bipolar depression (which is still not 100% diagnosed bc i saw a therapist vs a psychiatrist) makes the distractions a whole lot worse. Especially when it comes to trying to manage depression. I used to love reading but I now i have trouble with focusing on one page

I don’t have any type of hyperactivitiy whatsoever though. 

Edited by Aphrodizy26