Would ARTPOP have performed better if MANiCURE was the second single?

Hejira

The Fame Popster 305

I think MANiCURE could’ve been a decent hit. It’s a song that sounds like it was featured in a movie or in a commercial. Adele herself said that MANiCURE was one of her favorite tracks. With an edit or a remix, MANiCURE could’ve performed well on the radio. 

• yaas, gaga 1

Moderator 6,288

I think MANiCURE would’ve been a great single choice. It’s a very catchy song and perfect for radio. I still believe it would’ve been the perfect cont. to Telephone but that’s a whole other conversation. :ohyes:

• paws up 1
  • yaas, gaga 2

Deactivated 14,311
42 minutes ago, Mary Jane Gaga said:

Way better choice for a single than Do What U Want

We all know it was the promo, controversy of feat and video director and lack of video that ruined that single!

Pop-a-911-ster 20,685
2 hours ago, Mary Jane Gaga said:

Way better choice for a single than Do What U Want

DWUW is a great song, and could've been a huge hit if it wasn't attached to that disgusting person. 

• paws up 3

Not really imo. I think the main issue was Gaga's image at the time. No song on the album could've changed that. Look at G.U.Y. for example, which was a great single but people weren't interested in Gaga anymore back then.

Popster to Popster 3,889
6 hours ago, Spinning Bottles said:

Not really imo. I think the main issue was Gaga's image at the time. No song on the album could've changed that. Look at G.U.Y. for example, which was a great single but people weren't interested in Gaga anymore back then.

This. GUY was such a great song but at that point, nothing was going to give Gaga a hit.

• paws up 1

Kindness Admin 6,892

I love Manicure, but DWUW is a better song and single.

It's a pity the song is forever cursed because it SLAPS so hard. I really think if it was a feature with ANYONE else and that video had come out, it would've been a massive smash in her career.

• paws up 1

Moderator 6,288
18 minutes ago, MissAsia said:

Dwuw is a masterpiece..if another singer feat r Kelly Noone would have cared but people love to hate on gaga

Tbf it wasn’t just about it being R. Kelly. I think the song topic, title and lyrics along with R Kelly is was an incredibly stupid choice. I’d say she didn’t get as much hate as she could have. People could’ve easily seen it as her and R Kelly discrediting his victims. 

• paws up 2

MANiCURE would've flopped haaaard. DWUW feat lit anyone else + a great video would've done better. Still have no idea why out of the many popular male artists of the time, she chose R Kelly... especially for THAT song. Still find it so suspect that she and her team didn't put 2 + 2 together to realise how truly awful having him on that song was... I don't want to say it was done for ~shock value~ but... it was shocking lol. 

• paws up 1

The Popster 13

manicure def could appeal to the general public, it was catchy and one of the less intense tracks. dwuw is a good song but the promo, collaborator, and mv killed it:tea:

Popstanne 5,076

MANiCURE is used on Jazzercise sets, and it's a great work-out song, so yes, I think it would've made a terrific single, though I'm not sure that it would've impacted ARTPOP's overall performance. 

Popster to Popster 4,583
4 hours ago, SLAG said:

Tbf it wasn’t just about it being R. Kelly. I think the song topic, title and lyrics along with R Kelly is was an incredibly stupid choice. I’d say she didn’t get as much hate as she could have. People could’ve easily seen it as her and R Kelly discrediting his victims. 

Don't forget doing the video with Terry Richardson.  What a mess.  It's like every decision they went to make they explicitly made the wrong one :gaga-scream:

• paws up 1

ARTPOPster 2,173
3 hours ago, Franch Toast said:

MANiCURE is used on Jazzercise sets, and it's a great work-out song, so yes, I think it would've made a terrific single, though I'm not sure that it would've impacted ARTPOP's overall performance. 

I was at my school last year waiting to for my dad to pick me up and the dance team in the gym were actually dancing to MANiCURE, I was SO excited, I even filmed it

Edited by ProjectJoanne
  • yaas, gaga 1