Are you vegetarian/vegan?

danwasd

Deactivated 14,311
8 hours ago, ... said:

Plant-heavy diet here.

I need my eggs and seafood, occasionally some meat.

Full plant based Vegan diet lifestyle here! 

Deactivated 14,311
12 minutes ago, thetea said:

I was vegan for a week but it was really expensive and I missed chicken nuggets and sausages and making patties:oops:

The lies that veganism is expensive FRUSTRATES ME. This isn’t at you its at the entire meat industry... and world... 

• paws up 2

1 minute ago, Bakugo said:

The lies that veganism is expensive FRUSTRATES ME. This isn’t at you its at the entire meat industry... and world... 

I know it can be cheap, if you eat, oats, fruits, vegetables but I was buying those vegan meats, vegan meat patties, vegan cheese which are all significantly more expensive than their non-vegan counterparts. I'm literally Broke With Expensive Taste

• paws up 1

Deactivated 14,311
3 minutes ago, thetea said:

I know it can be cheap, if you eat, oats, fruits, vegetables but I was buying those vegan meats, vegan meat patties, vegan cheese which are all significantly more expensive than their non-vegan counterparts. I'm literally Broke With Expensive Taste

I always wait for the sales! I’m a nasty discount vegan! Tofu and Beans/lentils are literally usuable as great substitutes and so versatile for it all! I made deep fried Vegan chicken the other week with tofu... 

• paws up 4

Deactivated 14,311
1 minute ago, Delusional said:

it can be super expensive in some countries cos not all of them produce vegan and vegetarian animal products within the country yet - so it’s hard to buy and if it’s available it costs a lot since it’s been imported 

These countries yes I agree. Trust me I am very well aware of it all. I am talking the everyday western world.

• paws up 1

ARTPOPster 2,450
7 minutes ago, Bakugo said:

that goes for eating healthy in general too. With the exception of food deserts or places with high import costs or whatever, it’s soooo much cheaper to buy healthy stuff. It’s always the packaged and processed stuff that adds up so fast 

• paws up 2

Deactivated 14,311
Just now, blankpaper said:

that goes for eating healthy in general too. With the exception of food deserts or places with high import costs or whatever, it’s soooo much cheaper to buy healthy stuff. It’s always the packaged and processed stuff that adds up so fast 

Fresh Markets for your veg, canned veg and beans etc. or even dried ones and you rehydrate them. Tofu etc. there is so much options... that isn’t the branded stuff. The branded processed stuff is for starting out in my opinion.  I reduced $80-100 off my grocery shop these days.

Pop-a-911-ster 38,812

Grocery is pretty cheap for me because I dont get processed vegan products. I try to go as unproccesed as possible in general. I don’t buy pre-made meat sausages or patties either. 

Deactivated 14,311

Also any vegan who judges you for falling off and eating meat and animal Products ain’t your friend. Your own personal diet journey is yours and you do it how you want and feel comfortable.

• paws up 1

13 minutes ago, Delusional said:

it can be super expensive in some countries cos not all of them produce vegan and vegetarian animal products within the country yet - so it’s hard to buy and if it’s available it costs a lot since it’s been imported 

Yes. In my country we just started getting vegan products and they're so much more expensive. Like a small tub of ice cream is $11 dollars 

13 minutes ago, Bakugo said:

I always wait for the sales! I’m a nasty discount vegan! Tofu and Beans/lentils are literally usuable as great substitutes and so versatile for it all! I made deep fried Vegan chicken the other week with tofu... 

My mom makes this indian curry its called Dahl, which she learnt off her indian friends, its delicious. it's made of lentils and you put spices in and other stuff which I don't know cause I never make it and you eat it with roti's or rice or both. I love making deep fried tofu. I make a marinade out of soy sauce and seasonings and garlic then leave it overnight. Then the next day I dredge it in flour and egg and then deep fry it and eat it with a sauce. It's so good. Heres what the dahl looks like

spicy-lentil-dahl-recipe-1001539-4-4_pre

12 minutes ago, Bakugo said:

Fresh Markets for your veg, canned veg and beans etc. or even dried ones and you rehydrate them. Tofu etc. there is so much options... that isn’t the branded stuff. The branded processed stuff is for starting out in my opinion.  I reduced $80-100 off my grocery shop these days.

I used to go to the saturday markets but I stopped a few years ago. The fruits and veggies are so cheap there. There also way better quality than the grocery store

Deactivated 14,311
17 minutes ago, ... said:

Indian cuisine is amazing for vegetarian recipes. Palak paneer is one of my favourites.

My fav is Lentil Potatoes Masala!

• paws up 2

Popster to Popster 3,752
32 minutes ago, blankpaper said:

I agree with you though I think the argument is often that it is time/skill expensive to cook fresh foods. Plus people who live in food deserts can't go to the store as often so any bulk fresh food would spoil by the time you could eat it. And I do definitely see the point in that.

It sucks because, like you said, in terms of the actual price healthy food is often cheaper not to mention cheaper in the long run when you factor in cost of healthcare. I've saved a lot by buying along the "perimeter" of the store as they say.

• yaas, gaga 1

ARTPOPster 2,450
20 minutes ago, GitHub said:

I agree with you though I think the argument is often that it is time/skill expensive to cook fresh foods. Plus people who live in food deserts can't go to the store as often so any bulk fresh food would spoil by the time you could eat it. And I do definitely see the point in that.

It sucks because, like you said, in terms of the actual price healthy food is often cheaper not to mention cheaper in the long run when you factor in cost of healthcare. I've saved a lot by buying along the "perimeter" of the store as they say.

Not having time is one thing (although there are definitely easy workarounds if someone really wants to), but it doesn’t take a lot of skill to throw some stuff in pan with some seasonings :katy: a lot of people just don’t want to try 

• paws up 1

Popster to Popster 3,689
11 hours ago, danwasd said:

I'm a vegetarian (ovolacteovegetarian, to be fair) myself, as I cannot live without milk nor eggs

this is how I would categorize myself too!

6 hours ago, GitHub said:

but I do rely on eggs a lot.

11 hours ago, donatellab said:

I’ve been a vegetarian for about 4,5 years.

Yup same here!

7 hours ago, NotDoctor said:

I've had disordered eating my whole life so I have to be careful about changing my food patterns without totally spiraling to bad places.  I don't know that I'd ever want to or be able to go full vegan but we'll see.  Also I'm very careful about where my meat/dairy/eggs are sourced so I don't in any direct way support factory farming 

THIS! I am big into sustainability so I thought I had to be vegan, but I developed poor eating habits and was always bloated due to the high fiber intake so I went back to being vegetarian and I try not to be too hard on myself.

Every once in a while I'll consume dairy for social/special occasions and I rely on eggs a lot for protein, but I try to get them from local farms where I know the chickens live in good conditions. And by choosing local, you support your community rather than big ag. So I guess I am a plant-forward locavore 

• paws up 2

A Popster Is Born 13,703
5 minutes ago, NYNJ Gypsy said:

this is how I would categorize myself too!

Yup same here!

THIS! I am big into sustainability so I thought I had to be vegan, but I developed poor eating habits and was always bloated due to the high fiber intake so I went back to being vegetarian and I try not to be too hard on myself.

Every once in a while I'll consume dairy for social/special occasions and I rely on eggs a lot for protein, but I try to get them from local farms where I know the chickens live in good conditions. And by choosing local, you support your community rather than big ag. So I guess I am a plant-forward locavore 

Just in case it's helpful, I have to take regular blood controls bc of my anemia. But I've been vegetarians for nearly three years now and all my controls came totally correct :oscar: 

• paws up 1